Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Two St Olas

Default Two St Olas

There are two St Ola areas listed under Kirkwall. Can they be merged please https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/kirkwall/orkney/

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    There are two St Ola areas listed under Kirkwall. Can they be merged please https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/towns/kirkwall/orkney/
    The area designated as St. Ola (with a full stop after St) had no open pubs in it. The presence of a previously supposed pub, which had been marked as closed in lieu of being deleted, was keeping the empty area in existence. I have removed the one non-pub from St. Ola (it is a hotel - sorry, restaurant with rooms - with no public bar) and the area has now disappeared. (I have left the "closed" pub area-less, because, having no public bar, it serves - by definition - no area.)

In the meantime, you have added a pub to the area St Ola (no full stop) and Jon Wilde has requested it be removed from that area. The latter request has been referred to Snow White.

This reminds me a little of a dispute involving me, Conrad and Alan Winfield a few years back, over whether a pub was in Holgate or Leeman Road in York. A local man had posted a review on one of the pubs, apparently now the only one still open in the Leeman Road area, saying that he'd lived there for 70 years and he did not live in Holgate.

However, Pubs Galore areas are those that are "served" by the pubs, so it is legitimate that a pub in Leeman Road can serve the area of Holgate, as long as it's reasonable to suppose that someone living in Holgate could visit a pub in Leeman Road on a fairly regular basis, or that someone with ambitions to visit all the pubs in Holgate on one day would not wish to exclude those that are in Leeman Road. The sad facts that all the other pubs in Leeman Road have closed down, and that Leeman Road remains separated from Holgate by not only the Holgate Beck but also by some three or four dozen railway lines are, arguably, neither here nor there.

All of the above perhaps explains why Conrad replied to a post from me on this subject with this emoticon:

I don't know Kirkwall, but given that the Lynnfield Hotel is less than a mile from St Magnus Cathedral, couldn't it serve Kirkwall Town and the area of St Ola? As it was you that seems to have kicked off this dispute by removing the pub from the Kirkwall Town area, would you like to extend the olive branch and add it back in again?
    Come On You Hatters!