Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pub grub. What is it?

When I visited last June they had a pretty good menu . I had a lovely pie and mash and mushy peas.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

What pub grub isn't is nacho chips with half a bottle of tomato ketchup a sprinkling of cheese and a hint of sour cream. Just in case I ever suggest it again Dave, we are not to order food at the Hatchet, no matter how much I think I need to soak up the Best.

Nachos......A victory for the recycling woodchip industry. Flavourless rubbish that only tastes of what you pour onto it. Lawd knows what the profit margin is on that dish.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Great for soaking up beer though. At least they should be, not convinced that tomato ketchup is the way to make them palatable though, it really was the sort of effort I would have been proud of making when I was 8.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Filled rolls wrapped in clingfilm are rarely seen anymore but are just the job sometimes for that quick cheap food fix.
    I actually had a dream about these the other week. It was so realistic that I spent some time the next day trying to work out which pub I'd seen them in, but eventually concluded that it was just wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kake View Post
    I actually had a dream about these the other week. It was so realistic that I spent some time the next day trying to work out which pub I'd seen them in, but eventually concluded that it was just wishful thinking.
    I was going to say that the last time I found filled rolls wrapped in cling film was in the Great Western in Wolverhampton, but then I remembered that the King & Castle in Kidderminster still offers these culinary delights... Something to do with pubs which have railway associations?

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I was going to say that the last time I found filled rolls wrapped in cling film was in the Great Western in Wolverhampton, but then I remembered that the King & Castle in Kidderminster still offers these culinary delights... Something to do with pubs which have railway associations?
    Near to Kidderminster, but with no railway connection, I found a basket of cling-filmed rolls in the Plough in Worcester. Great long rolls with thick roast beef and enough wholegrain mustard to blow your head off - twice
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    The Apsley House in Southsea also provides these delights, as well as standard pub grub, oh and great beers from Downton brewery http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13956/

Quote Originally Posted by Kake View Post
    Still available in the Kelham Island Tavern in Sheffield last Saturday and also seen recently in The Crescent in Salford.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Teetotal

As for pub grub I worked with those bread rolls in clingfilm (we are going back to 1989 though) some were sat on that shelf all day, never thought about putting them on/in a cooler. I like to think about it as The 'Subway' of the day.

Then my boss thought she would branch out to meals, she did have a big kitchen there. Then one Monday new people turned up and I had to run to Morrisons to buy frozen chips & the rest. They had all finished their drinks and gone before she had cooked anything, don't blame them for leaving.

Great pub, but why go down the 'food' route in the late 80's early 90's? We had cigs and everything.

ps. The cling film rolls tasted quite nice and got me into eating salad. Perhaps squashed tomatoes and lettice just taste good?