Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotels on PuG

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I don't know who has visited what though, also we have no firm definition of what should be listed and at every attempt to make one fails. I do agree that hotels without public bars don't belong on the list though. As to the JW Lees thing I think it is promotion of the JW Lees Passport trail and is trying to point that out, could be wrong though.

A few of the members have done drive by shootings, most of them don't really come on the forums and don't really leave reviews, they clearly enjoy the site though. It is hard for us to know what is the right thing to do to keep them invested, but I would like pictures of the pubs. It is a pity that they don't chat on here, but I don't think we should accidentally scare them off.

We will delete bad listings where we become aware of them, but equally it is hard to avoid adding them if they are being submitted, particularly by members whose contributions are predominantly good.

Can I just check, is this thread just a vent? (which is fair enough), or an attempt to get some stronger definitions on what is a pub? Any suggestions towards the latter need to take into account how me and Dave can check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Can I just check, is this thread just a vent? (which is fair enough).
    Just a vent really as I was in Castleton last night and noticed all the hotel listings obviously from people who haven't been in them.

I'm off out for a meal in Manchester tonight with Ms CAMRA, so after a few pints and a nice bottle of red wine the grumpiness will probably subside.

Or maybe not.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well that is fair enough, you did post it in chit-chat so I shouldn't really take it so seriously.

If it helps we have been known to turn the air blue in the office sometimes when looking at the suggestions, still at least when we click the accept button now we can think of you and know we are passing forward the bemusement.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Sometimes a pub is actually called xxx Hotel, which maybe it was way back in 30s, times changed but name stayed

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Sometimes a pub is actually called xxx Hotel, which maybe it was way back in 30s, times changed but name stayed
    Welcome to my hell.

I think the observation is more about adding without confirmation. Trouble is we do lack the guidelines to say what is wrong or right, and I am still stumped on these. I think sometimes it is just going to come down to what shouldn't go on the site, and I am happy to add hotels without public bars to that list (although knowing my luck we are going to find one that is CAMRA listed, seems to happen any time I think there should be an exclusion.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Welcome to my hell.

I think the observation is more about adding without confirmation. Trouble is we do lack the guidelines to say what is wrong or right, and I am still stumped on these. I think sometimes it is just going to come down to what shouldn't go on the site, and I am happy to add hotels without public bars to that list (although knowing my luck we are going to find one that is CAMRA listed, seems to happen any time I think there should be an exclusion.
    Welcome to mine, I will have to return to Havant at some time & check out Bear Hotel for public beer access, I need to check out White Hart real ale anyway
    Only trouble is Havant is such a pain at times, nothing to really attract anyone there IMO, but as a servant of PuG it is my duty to venture there to sort out Hotel query

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Reading ROBCamra’s follow up post I think the point being made is more one about adding everything that looks like it has a licence without actually finding out what type of establishment it is. I share that frustration, I see no point in walking past and taking a dozen photos of a hotel, a tapas bar or a restaurant and adding it to the site. Similarly a couple of weeks ago I saw a pub added that I knew had been closed for around 5 years and got quite excited that it had re-opened. However what I found was the pub had been added and marked closed straight away and the photo was simply of a run down building surrounded by construction hoardings.

In respect of hotels I don’t think we can just say they are not allowed, after all one of Manchester’s premier real ale pubs is the Smithfield Hotel. On the other hand I did see a hotel bar locally that one of our prolific photographers had added without a review. The only indication that there was a bar there was a small sign outside so I suspect it was a typical ‘drive by shooting‘. I visited and it was simply a small unmanned bar at the end of the reception desk. I’m not going to ask for it to be removed but I’d hope that anyone actually going in and finding that out wouldn’t add it to the site in the first place.

I’ve added a few hotel bars myself as, working in London, I do find them to be a useful retreat from the maelstrom of City pubs on a Friday night if you just want a quiet pint or a chat with a few mates. I’ve discovered some really nice bars, one of note is the Tempus Bar at the Hotel Russell.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I reckon I'm with Millay on the question of hotels. I've stayed in hotels that have advertised a bar, that turned out to be for residents, and if you wanted a drink you had to root someone out of reception, or the kitchen, or wake up the night porter, to get you a drink. I wouldn't dream of asking for such a place to be added, but unless you went in them to see what the bar was really like you couldn't know for sure that it was not worthy of inclusion. I've also stayed in pubs that provide a few rooms accommodation, and of course they should be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    one of note is the Tempus Bar at the Hotel Russell.
    I watched the Champions League Final Utd vs Chelsea there.

Had to drink quite a lot of pricey pints of FP though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I watched the Champions League Final Utd vs Chelsea there.
    Glad you're not totally against hotels on PuG then
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.