Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hotels on PuG

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Millay also mentioned about closed pubs being added, I am actually quite keen for closed pubs to be listed, particularly with the rate they are closing, I would be happy to have reviews and reminiscences added to these listings as well. The adding of pictures showing how they look now I am not sure of, but I can see some value in it.
    I agree that it's good to document closed pubs as well, but I was a little surprised, when looking through some recently added pubs in Bury St Edmunds, to find a pub that closed back in the 1920's! Is there merit in recording information that goes so far back? I can't imagine we would ever be able to get close to having a comprehensive list of closed pubs on here.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

My facetious answer would be what year is the cut-off point.

More realistically though, it doesn't do any harm and presumably the member has done the leg work, you never know when it will be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    And going back to the original post I am happy for people to vent on the forum, we are never going to be able to please everyone all of the time, and this is certainly an interesting thread reading everyone's impressions.
    I thought that if I started a "grumpy old sod" type thread that there'd be quite a lot of takers on here.

It's what we do best.

Many of us have had lots of experience in putting the world to rights whilst quaffing a beer or two.

Who's going to be next for the "grumpy old sod" title?

Should we have a "grumpy old sod" of the week thread?

Can I have the prize for last week?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

Can I have the prize for last week?
    No, bu66er off

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    No, bu66er off
    That's my boy!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Is there merit in recording information that goes so far back?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I can't imagine we would ever be able to get close to having a comprehensive list of closed pubs on here.
    Maybe that wasn't the original reason that the site was set up, but I don't know of any other "pub database" which has the potential to store such an esoteric, and possibly comprehensive, set of data. This could be of great interest to all sorts of people from social historians to future developers (or their opponents) to school children to those with purely a personal interest. We are living in an era of mass pub extinction (pardon the ecological analogy), while many of the people who remember pubs which closed as a result of WW2, 1960s development and 1970s economic hardship are dying without leaving their memories. What better for a historian in (say) 50 years' time to fund our little archive and be able to read our personal recollections of an instituion which no longer exists (as we know it).

Imagine the conversation at the communal lemonade stand in Stafford and Manchester Connurbation Centre if an accurate record isn't kept:

[Great Grandson of RobCAMRA]...so they actually drank real alcoho in the pubs? And took dogs in as well? Ugh!
    [Great Grandson of ETA] Yes, Abdul, that was before pets were banned on H&S grounds. And they called them "pub dogs". In fact, my mate Running_Dog is named after the fact that his Great Grandad used to have one.
    [GGRC] and they called these "pubs" after mythical beasts?
    [GGETA] yeah, like "Pheasant" and - er, what was the real one that went extinct in 2034 - Black Horse, or something.
    [GGRC] and your Great Grandad - I mean your biological one, not the state-assigned multicultural CRB-approved local authority appointed one - actually WENT in them???!!!!! Cool!
    [GGETA], yeah, though of course we had to make a public apology for it at school. We got away with it by saying he only went to play darts. But I think back then, most men had a "local".
    [GGRC] play what?
    [GGETA] Darts. It was some sort of game with balls on a beize-covered table and big sticks called "Qs", I think. They used do eat the skin of dead pigs from little plastic packets.
    [GGRC] Never - you'll be telling me next they used to watch soccer in there too - before it was outlawed after the embarassment of the 2010 World Cup.
    [Great Grandson of Conrad] come on lads, time at the service desk - haven't you got a type 2 eco-communal dwelling to go to? Night Abdul, Night, Maseratti.
    [All] Night, Susan-Boris. May the Law in Maastricht be with you...
    Last edited by ETA; 21-06-2010 at 18:51.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well that is definitely in line for post of the month if not ever so far on this forum.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

[QUOTE=ROBCamra;15104]I thought that if I started a "grumpy old sod" type thread that there'd be quite a lot of takers on here.

There would be no contest. Some of you haven't met me yet have you.

The lot of you...bunch of bl**dy amateurs .It takes real dedication to be a real grumpy old sod. You can probably do a degree course on the subject but there is nothing like the lifetime on the job training. If you can walk into a pub and find it impossible to get into a conversation with anyone, or the pub cat makes a run for the back door on seeing you, then you have truly made the grade.

Yes, I know its 0415 but its to hot in bed and me diabetes is sending my feet balmy.Nowt on the TV and only babble on the radio.I do find the occasional nocturnal lurker as I ramble round the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    It takes real dedication to be a real grumpy old sod. If you can walk into a pub and find it impossible to get into a conversation with anyone, or the pub cat makes a run for the back door on seeing you, then you have truly made the grade.
    I do find the occasional nocturnal lurker as I ramble round the internet.
    Blimey, is it that the time, I guess I'm in trouble again. I like knowing where the craps coming from, it cuts down on surprises.
    Oh, and I can do a really good grumpy old sod, one of the best, that's me..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........