Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 185

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

  1. #81
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I always make a point of celebrating the anniversary of the start of the French revolution. Doesn't everyone?

    * Some interesting improvements to that route in the intervening four years. Watch this space!

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Of course luckily I live in the north so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide.
    Of course luckily I live in Sheffield so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide.
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #82
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Glasgow is just one red herring too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It was a serious suggestion!
    I'm sure it was, but introducing it at this stage is a distraction. Especially in view of the poor showing of Newcastle, Durham and Lancaster in the poll. Glasgow is a six hours or more train journey for most of the people who usually attend these crawls. That's ok for a holiday maybe, but for a day out on the booze it's unrealistic to expect an enthusiastic response.
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #83
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm sure it was, but introducing it at this stage is a distraction. Especially in view of the poor showing of Newcastle, Durham and Lancaster in the poll. Glasgow is a six hours or more train journey for most of the people who usually attend these crawls. That's ok for a holiday maybe, but for a day out on the booze it's unrealistic to expect an enthusiastic response.
    I take on board all of that. I did once go to Carlisle for the day but it was the 08:30 train and my train back was before 17:00. It does seem to mean that the "North" option is restricted to only a few possibilities. Places do change over the years so automatically ruling out cities (only) already visited may be worth considering. I would think somewhere like Sheffield is definitely worth more than one go.
    As for this Autumn it's Manchester all the way (or in my case via Bury!). I'll bring my cloth cap and clogs.

  4. #84
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It does seem to mean that the "North" option is restricted to only a few possibilities.
    We're only restricted by geography and the distribution of the population - which is reflected in the membership of this site, I'm sure. If we had members further north who were regular Forum contributors, surely we'd have done places such as "the other Newcastle" and the two major cities in the foreign country north of that before now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Places do change over the years so automatically ruling out cities (only) already visited may be worth considering. I would think somewhere like Sheffield is definitely worth more than one go.
    You are mistaken - there has not yet been an "official" Pubs Galore crawl of Sheffield. (There was one on Bastille Day 2014, but this was only on the basis that it was someone's birthday and anyone at a loose end was welcome to join in.) I believe there has been a suggestion of recreating the first "official" crawl ten years on, in 2020, so hopefully after that people will feel empowered to suggest revisiting such places as Nottingham and Liverpool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    As for this Autumn it's Manchester all the way (or in my case via Bury!).
    Good luck with Bury. I've only been there when I had to attend a football match, and I wasn't that impressed with the pubs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'll bring my cloth cap and clogs.
    It's not compulsory, but we look forward to seeing you in whatever approximation of traditional dress your wardrobe will afford.
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #85
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

    You are mistaken - there has not yet been an "official" Pubs Galore crawl of Sheffield. (There was one on Bastille Day 2014, but this was only on the basis that it was someone's birthday and anyone at a loose end was welcome to join in.) I believe there has been a suggestion of recreating the first "official" crawl ten years on, in 2020, so hopefully after that people will feel empowered to suggest revisiting such places as Nottingham and Liverpool.

    This was meant as a side issue so let's get on with the Manchester day. I could have made the above a bit clearer. I was thinking more of Liverpool with regard to repeat visits, my point about Sheffield being that there must be enough there to make two separate days worthwhile.

  6. #86
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    With advanced rail tickets going on sale next week for our Autumn crawl to Manchester on Friday 12th October,maybe it's time to start thinking of a route.

    Also if we are to use the tram system for a short part of the crawl,or possibly buses,can us folk from far away buy plus tram/plus bus type tickets or do we just shell out on the day ? I am just thinking of making it a day trip ,trying to get to Manchester around 11am and departing 8pm ish but won't be staying overnight if that's helpful in the planning.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  7. #87
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    With advanced rail tickets going on sale next week for our Autumn crawl to Manchester on Friday 12th October,maybe it's time to start thinking of a route.

    Also if we are to use the tram system for a short part of the crawl,or possibly buses,can us folk from far away buy plus tram/plus bus type tickets or do we just shell out on the day ? I am just thinking of making it a day trip ,trying to get to Manchester around 11am and departing 8pm ish but won't be staying overnight if that's helpful in the planning.
    I'm making a long weekend of it and have two nights booked at the Stockport Premier Inn. I'll be going up on the cheap slow train to Stoke and the Cross Country train from there. I'm still planning to visit Bury first. There's no top flight football on the Saturday although Stockport are at home to Hereford so I may retreat to Wolverhampton.
    I think ROBCamra said that the train ticket is valid on the trams in the central area. I don't recall using buses much apart from a few suburban areas one of which was Middleton.

  8. #88
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Very rough thoughts on where we might visit.

    Manchester doesn't do early, apart from the Spoons of course, so 12 midday start.

    For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

    Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

    Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

    The tram is free when travelling between the stations, so you may have to "accidently" get on the wrong tram to go to St Peters Square.

    From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

    For those who wish to travel out to Chorlton, tram from Castlefield/Deansgate.

    For those who don't, a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

    Manchester is also not great at beer gardens, so group photo opportunities are limited.

    Maybe outside the Pev or the plaza in First Street outside Gasworks.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 21-07-2018 at 11:12.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  9. #89
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Grand Union
    Posts
    2,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Very rough thoughts on where we might visit.

    Manchester doesn't do early, apart from the Spoons of course, so 12 midday start.

    For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

    Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

    Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

    The tram is free when travelling between the stations, so you may have to "accidently" get on the wrong tram to go to St Peters Square.

    From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

    For those who wish to travel out to Chorlton, tram from Castlefield/Deansgate.

    For those who don't, a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

    Manchester is also not great at beer gardens, so group photo opportunities are limited.

    Maybe outside the Pev or the plaza in First Street outside Gasworks.


    Thanks,that all sounds good with lots of options at the back end of the crawl to accomodate folk departing at different times or staying overnight.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 21-07-2018 at 11:11.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  10. #90
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Very rough thoughts on where we might visit.

    Manchester doesn't do early, apart from the Spoons of course, so 12 midday start.

    For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

    Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

    Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

    The tram is free when travelling between the stations, so you may have to "accidently" get on the wrong tram to go to St Peters Square.

    From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

    For those who wish to travel out to Chorlton, tram from Castlefield/Deansgate.

    For those who don't, a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.

    Manchester is also not great at beer gardens, so group photo opportunities are limited.

    Maybe outside the Pev or the plaza in First Street outside Gasworks.

    Are the ones listed around Shade Hill all as much a rip off as the Marble Arch?
    I can't see me getting to these ones but it would be useful to know for future refenece.

    The two names that I've heard of countless times in the past are the Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.

    Is the gentle stroll along Denasgate heading towards Piccadilly? I assume it is!

    I'm so distressed to learn about the lack of group photo opportunities (NOT!!).

Similar Threads

  1. Venue for Autumn Crawl 12th October 2018
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2018, 09:49
  2. Pubs Galore - the next crawl (Stockport, Autumn 2017)
    By sheffield hatter in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 29-11-2017, 19:10
  3. Autumn/Winter PuG Crawl 2016 ?
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 30-11-2016, 12:15
  4. Beer of the Week (w/e 12th October 2014)
    By ROBCamra in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-10-2014, 11:19
  5. Beer of the Week (w/e 12th October 2014)
    By ROBCamra in forum Beer of the Week
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-10-2014, 11:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •