Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

Well it looks like anything involving trams is an non-starter other than getting to and from the chosen venue.

Are we going to rerun the poll without trams or just ignore it and go with whatever turns out top on the 9th July?

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

I think we're in danger of being seduced by the romance (or novelty) of the tram.
    If anyone really, really, really wants to get on the tram you can do, they're free in central Manchester if you have a rail ticket.

In fact for people who don't know the area it's a good way to get from Piccadilly station to Victoria station for example.

PS I think OB is correct we probably need a rerun of the poll.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Well it looks like anything involving trams is an non-starter other than getting to and from the chosen venue.

Are we going to rerun the poll without trams or just ignore it and go with whatever turns out top on the 9th July?
    As Manchester (central) is a close 2nd at the moment, we should leave the poll as it is. If 'either' Manchester wins, we can decide ourselves where to drink (as Will suggested for the Newcatle trip, although ignored until later ).

It could be a mixed train/tram trip. Eccles 8 mins by train (23 by tram), Rochdale 14 mins, Ashton-under Lyne 10 mins (researched by Trainman )
    Chorlton must be the favorite tram ride (9 minutes from Deansgate) with about 24 Real Ale outlets within 10 mins walk. Most of them bars but around 6 older pubs.
    A few tram hopping minutes down the same line is West Didsbury then Didsbury Village. More trendy bars and a few older pubs. The prices might make the Southerners feel at home!
    Eccles is a complete culture shock from Chorlton/Didsbury. It had not lost a pub from WW2 until the 1980's. It has lost quite a few since so not as good as it was but still has old street corner locals and larger ornate pubs. The prices will be a more pleasant shock!
    Last edited by AlanH; 28-06-2018 at 14:40.

I'm going to share the two options I didn't vote for. The first was Chester which I didn't like much when giving it a go after the JDW Bull & Stirrup (which I knew as a Higson's pub). The second was Manchester Central which seems to have changed completely from my memories of it. I've seen the prices they charge in the Marble Arch and just refuse to go there.
    Apart from that I've been to the Port Street place which was abysmal and the Robinson's Castle, a really nice squalid dive transformed into a poncy place with candles. I went to one near Piccadilly Gardens that wasn't too bad. The other problem I have with Manchester is that it's a LARGE city with potentially long walks in between pubs.
    I've been to Chorlton and I'd rather eat my own arm than ever return to that trendy dump. Even the JDW had some hipster idiot vaping away and of course the staff didn't notice. I think to be fair the poll should be rerun with the same end date. I'm happy to see the tram option removed along with Chorley & Leyland as it's mostly micropubs. I only suggested the tram option for Manchester as I assumed there must be something that could be done.
    That leaves the possibility of adding somewhere and I'm going Left Field again with Glasgow which is definitely North!
    If Manchester gets the nod I'll probably still start off in Bury. The comparison with Rotherham seemed very harsh! Obviously this wouldn't just be a day trip.
    I'm still pleasantly surprised that two of my suggestions have actually gone ahead even though neither of them were conventional.

How about a quick poll re-run with the top 4 plus some earlier / new suggestions?

Sheffield (either usual suspects / unusual suspects or both as choices? depending on how many haven't done the usuals)
    Chorley / Leyland
    Manchester
    Wigan

plus previous and latest suggestions
    Glasgow
    Bury
    Lincoln
    AN Other
    AN Other 2
    AN Other 3

How about a quick poll re-run with the top 4 plus some earlier / new suggestions?

Sheffield (either usual suspects / unusual suspects or both as choices? depending on how many haven't done the usuals)
    Chorley / Leyland
    Manchester
    Wigan

Glasgow
    Bury
    Lincoln
    AN Other
    AN Other 2
    AN Other 3

I'm not really advocating Bury as a viable venue, it's just somewhere I'd like to visit (rather like the Holy Inadequate on the NUL trip). Chorlton and Leyland has the problem of being largely micropubs. The ones in NUL were generally larger than what I recall.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Chorley / Leyland
    Manchester
    Wigan

Glasgow
    Bury
    Lincoln
    AN Other
    AN Other 2
    AN Other 3
    Quite happy to have a poll re run,but are you suggesting two Sheffield options ,one including Kelham Island pubs (Fat Cat,Harlequin,Kelham Island Tavern,Shakespears,Ship Inn,Wellington ) and one excluding Kelham Island. The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 30-06-2018 at 17:29.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Quite happy to have a poll re run,but are you suggesting two Sheffield option ,one including Kelham Island pubs (Fat Cat,Harlequin,Kelham Island Tavern,Shakespears,Ship Inn,Wellington ) and one excluding Kelham Island. The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?
    I think we are going round in circles. Glasgow is just one red herring too far.

From the voting so far, I don't think anyone is going to object if we just plump for Manchester this time. If, when the route has been discussed, some people also want to use the tram to go elsewhere in the larger conurbation, that'll be their choice. Likewise Bury or Altrincham.

Despite what Aqualung says, there are still some cracking good pubs in central Manc, and if there's too much walking for some, there are buses and trams. (As ROBCamra pointed, a train ticket is valid on the tram in the central area. Also there is PlusBus.)

Let's leave Sheffield for another time.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The definition of "usual suspects" might need some fleshing out so that people know what they are voting for.I am assuming your "usual suspects" relates to the Kelham Island ?
    I would say the usual suspects is pretty much the "Valley of Beer" running down from the Hillsborough /New Barrack Tavern via the Gardeners Rest and The Wellington onto Kelham Island finishing at the Harlequin or Shakesperes. For anyone who hasn't been to Sheffield this is the must do pub crawl and for that reason ought to be a choice. There are other great pubs in Sheffield starting from the Tap and moving on to, say, the Rutland then either round the centre or out further perhaps; of course that may include some other "usual suspects" the Devonshire Cat and Bath Hotel in particular. There was a mini-crawl of Sheffield on Bastille Day 2014.

Of course luckily I live in the north so the choices are open to me all the time so I'm happy to go with what those who don't have that opportunity decide.

I think we are going round in circles. Glasgow is just one red herring too far.
    It was a serious suggestion!

From the voting so far, I don't think anyone is going to object if we just plump for Manchester this time. If, when the route has been discussed, some people also want to use the tram to go elsewhere in the larger conurbation, that'll be their choice. Likewise Bury or Altrincham.
    Agreed

Despite what Aqualung says, there are still some cracking good pubs in central Manc.
    I've only mentioned three, the Castle, Port Steet and Marble Arch! The only others I remember from long ago are the three in Portland Street, a Hydes one somewhere not far from Piccadilly, the Lees one opposite the Castle, a Lees one in the Canal area which was the only place open because of football, a free house near the River Irwell and a big Holts place at the bottom of Cheetham Hill.

Let's leave Sheffield for another time.
    I imagine it would take some doing deciding what to include and what to to leave out.

I would say the usual suspects is pretty much the "Valley of Beer" running down from the Hillsborough /New Barrack Tavern via the Gardeners Rest and The Wellington onto Kelham Island finishing at the Harlequin or Shakesperes.
    It might be worth asking if anyone HASN'T been to the Kelham Island area.