Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

Is Chorlton Cum Hardy on the tram? I went there a few years back and wasn't happy as it was all expensive trendy bars.
    Yes lines 5 and 6 (Rochdale - Didsbury and Victoria - Airport).

Just to be a miserable old bugger,

Wigan - I was there at the weekend and it's fine but maybe not quite enough good pubs
    Lancaster - good but are there enough good pubs and there can be travel problems for anyone coming via Leeds/Settle (me)
    Macclesfield - never been drinking there but looks good on first glance
    Newcastle - been many a time but can be pricey on the ECML.
    Durham - ditto but a nicer more compact city at least
    Sheffield - lost count of the number of times I've been but if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK

Two left field suggestions:-
    Chesterfield - just not enough good pubs (and I can't stand the place).
    Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking but it looks like plenty of pubs although the bus between Chorley & Leyland could be a problem.

Macclesfield sounds quite promising from what I've seen recently and would be a new destination for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Macclesfield sounds quite promising from what I've seen recently and would be a new destination for me.
    I haven't checked but there may be a problem with opening times. There certainly is earlier in the week than Friday. Back in the big six days it was something of a destination as there were lots of Robinson's and Marston outlets. Today any ones left are probably just optional extras.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The logic of doing a crawl in October is nicely made,and I would be happy with Friday 12th October.

Also very happy to make the Summer 2019 crawl somewhere oop North too,that seems fair.
    Thanks, Nev. It wasn't just aimed at you, though. I hope others will agree (to both suggestions).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes lines 5 and 6 (Rochdale - Didsbury and Victoria - Airport).

Just to be a miserable old bugger,

Wigan - I was there at the weekend and it's fine but maybe not quite enough good pubs
    Lancaster - good but are there enough good pubs and there can be travel problems for anyone coming via Leeds/Settle (me)
    Sheffield - lost count of the number of times I've been but if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK

Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking but it looks like plenty of pubs although the bus between Chorley & Leyland could be a problem.
    Don't apologise for being a miserable old bugger as I'm one as well. I make Jack Dee look like a Game Show Host.
    I take your point about Wigan and Lancaster but think either might just be pushed far enough. The problem might be whether there is enough to attract the Southern contingent.
    Macclesfield see post to rpadam.
    Newcastle & Durham. It was the case that if you booked through Virgin East Coast you could get tickets up to 26 weeks in advance. I've got my annual pilgrimage to the Hare & Hounds above Hebden Bridge on the 07th July and a stay at Newcastle in August. I don't recall them being unduly expensive considering the miles involved. My problem with Durham is the steep hills!
    Sheffield. I've mainly been to the Spoons and Kelham Island. There's a LOT more I would like to visit but that might well be left to my own journeys.
    Chorley & Leyland. There's a train service between the two and whether you approach from Preston or Wigan you would get a day return to the furthest one. Obviously I only went there for the JDWs but I was impressed by quite a few other places.

Wigan - I agree: maybe not quite enough good pubs (I went there with Ray and Fiona two (?) years ago)
    Lancaster - I can't see many coming up from the south (or from North Yorkshire ).
    Macclesfield - looks good on first glance - I went there with Ray and Fiona three (?) years ago. Not sure there are sufficient good pubs within a reasonable area. Maybe it's got better since?
    Newcastle - Helluva long train journey for southerners
    Durham - I'd like to do this some time (but see Newcastle)
    Sheffield - I agree: if we avoid the usual suspects it should be OK. But maybe some people would like to do the usual suspects? (This is probably best done as a double header, with a tailor-made crawl on the Friday and those who haven't done the usual suspects (or who want to do them again) doing them on Thursday or Saturday.)

Two (very) left field suggestions:-
    Chesterfield - I disagree with both your objections but it is indubitably in the bloody Midlands FFS
    Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking there and not sure I ever will and it's also a bit of a slog for southerners (but there's a train between them every hour - only takes 11 minutes, so your objection about the buses may be nugatory?).

Which leaves us with Manchester...

PS Sorry if my answers chime/clash with Aqualung's - we were evidently writing at the same time!
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 18-06-2018 at 23:20. Reason: post script added after reading A's post
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Two (very) left field suggestions:-
    Chesterfield - I disagree with both your objections but it is indubitably in the bloody Midlands FFS
    Chorley & Leyland - never been drinking there and not sure I ever will and it's also a bit of a slog for southerners (but there's a train between them every hour - only takes 11 minutes, so your objection about the buses may be nugatory?).
    !
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Chorley & Leyland. There's a train service between the two and whether you approach from Preston or Wigan you would get a day return to the furthest one.
    I must have been deranged or something when I looked at the rail map I totally missed Leyland Station, with 11 GBG listed pubs between them I thought Leyland/Chorley looked good, but with a lot of micro's I guess that won't appeal to some .

We'll have to agree to disagree on Chesterfield, I don't really rate many of the GBG pubs and one of those I'd miss out due to ignorant staff, and another probably wouldn't appeal to all, which leaves the Chesterfield Arms and the Alehouse which isn't the best micro in Derbyshire; as for the non-GBG pubs - ugh. I see there are two new micro type places so I might be tempted to visit if I had some anesthetic in the Sheffield Tap first.

Point taken about distances to the North East for the poor southerners, so Macclesfield and Manchester are looking the favourites, both are good with me.

Is Derbyshire a Midland county? although I've heard both Cheshire and Oxfordshire referred to as "the Midlands", that's a bloody big middle if you ask me - dons tin hat.

Is Derbyshire a Midland county? although I've heard both Cheshire and Oxfordshire referred to as "the Midlands", that's a bloody big middle if you ask me - dons tin hat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

I love it when Pubs Galore degenerates into Geography Galore!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

I love it when Pubs Galore degenerates into Geography Galore!
    Degenerate - that's a name that's been applied to me before, this looks a lot like definitions of "craft beer" - means exactly what I choose it to mean.

Someone tell Wikipedia, Buckinghamshire is definitely a Home County!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I don't understand why anyone on a day-visit to Sheffield would want to avoid what has been referred to as 'the usual suspects', or how this terrific beer town has avoided the PG juggernaut, to date...