Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    For those arriving at Piccadilly (most of you I would think), nearest tram stop to Pilcrow is Shude Hill on the Bury or Rochdale lines.

Pilcrow, Angel, Marble Arch, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Smithfield (opens at 2). Wildcard Castle.

Trip across town via tram to St Peters Square or if walking maybe call in Soup Kitchen, Flok, Pie & Ale or Beermoth on the way (ish).

From St Peters Square, City Arms, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Gasworks, Knott. Wildcards Rain Bar & Vine.

...a gentle stroll along Deansgate taking in any or all of, Cask, Rising Sun, Dockyard, Gaslamp, Brink.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ... the list ought to include Marble Arch, Crown & Kettle, Peveril of the Peak, Briton's Protection.

...that gives a crawl starting near Victoria Station (Pilcrow/Angel) and ending near Deansgate/Oxford Road stations (Rain Bar/Knott/Gasworks) ... through the Northern Quarter (Castle/Soup Kitchen/Flok/Pie & Ale probably via Fringe then on to City Arms and Beermoth). The Smithfield opening at 2pm could make that pub a non-runner.

Alternatively the Deansgate group could be substituted for the Northern Quarter going via Rising Sun, Brink, Gaslamp, Dockyard, Cask and Knott before ending again at The Briton's Protection and Peveril of the Peak.

It looks like you two need to put your heads together and come up with a route, with "must visits" and "wild cards", so that people can pick and choose. Otherwise we'll have everyone attempting a Winfield (and that is bound to end badly).

Oh, and approximate timings would be good.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 26-07-2018 at 00:05.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    It looks like you two need to put your heads together and come up with a route, with "must visits" and "wild cards", so that people can pick and chose. Otherwise we'll have everyone attempting a Winfield (and that is bound to end badly).

Oh, and approximate timings would be good.

Thanks.
    My post was just a starting point to get the list down to a more manageable size, the obvious cut being made between

a. the "Northern Quarter" (13 pubs) or
    b. the "Deansgate Crawl" (12 pubs)

for old Manchester Hands dropping the Angel and Marble Arch frees up some time and personally the Deansgate route involves a lot of new to me pubs. However for Manchester virgins Marble Arch is a must do, as indeed are the other three suggested fixed points. It's just a bit of a hike to the MA and back.

Here's two lists for Mr Camra's critique (as he's the expert and I wouldn't presume to second guess him). Both routes are just over an hours walking in total if you go via the Angel and Marble Arch, if I get time I'll get the Google times for each, however it looks to be a 7 1/2 - 8 hour day.

N4
    1. The Pilcrow meeting point
    2. The Angel
    3. The Marble Arch
    4. Bar Fringe
    5. Crown & Kettle
    6. Castle Hotel
    7. Soup Kitchen
    8. Flok
    9. Pie & Ale
    10.Cafe Beermoth
    11. The City Arms
    12. Peveril of the Peak
    13. The Briton's Protection

Deansgate

1-3 as above
    4. Rising Sun
    5. The Brink
    6. The Gaslamp
    7. The Dockyard
    8. Cask
    9. The Knott
    10 & 11 as 13 then 12 above
    12. Gasworks

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    My post was just a starting point to get the list down to a more manageable size, the obvious cut being made between

a. the "Northern Quarter" (13 pubs) or
    b. the "Deansgate Crawl" (12 pubs)

for old Manchester Hands dropping the Angel and Marble Arch frees up some time and personally the Deansgate route involves a lot of new to me pubs. However for Manchester virgins Marble Arch is a must do, as indeed are the other three suggested fixed points. It's just a bit of a hike to the MA and back.[/URL]
    Thanks for doing the research.

I do see your point about the Marble Arch - it's a bit of a walk but has to be done by those who've not done it before - for the pub architecture and heritage, if not for the beer. (Speaking personally - and you can all get ready to hurl rotten tomatoes at me - I have yet to find a Marble Arch beer that I like, so will probably give this one a swerve.)

I can see why you've suggested an either/or approach (Northern Quarter or Deansgate), but I'm concerned that this might split the group.

Also, having done Britons Protection, City Arms and Peveril of the Peak, I think it should be pointed out that the beer offering will not be as spectacular as the pub architecture and interiors - in my opinion.

We await the views of our Manchester correspondent!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    We await the views of our Manchester correspondent!
    This was always going to be a problem. I only included the Deansgate/Castlefield area as there were people who wanted to go to Chorlton.

Manchester has more than enough to go at on its own IMO.

Admittedly the Brit and the Pev are great historic pubs but their beer is distinctly average.

We've taken some friends of ours to all the pubs listed plus 3 in Salford in the last 12 months. It took THREE visits!

After a visit on Friday I'd swerve Pie & Ale.

It's under new management and was charging £4.40 for a pint of 3% Bad Seed beer.

My suggested route would be something like Pilcrow, Angel, Marble, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Flok, Soup Kitchen, Beermoth, City Arms, Rising Sun, Gaslamp, Brink.

Wildcards of Smithfield, Castle, The Brit & Pev after City Arms for those who want to.

Has the idea of going to Chorlton been shelved?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 26-07-2018 at 16:34.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

My suggested route would be something like Pilcrow, Angel, Marble, Fringe, Crown & Kettle, Flok, Soup Kitchen, Beermoth, City Arms, Rising Sun, Gaslamp, Brink.

Wildcards of Smithfield, Castle, The Brit & Pev after City Arms for those who want to.
    This looks a better route. I was also feeling that the "Deansgate crawl" was looking very isolated from the NQ part. The Brink and the Gaslamp are too good to miss.
    Another useful wildcard I have visited twice recently is the GBG listed Terrace . Not too far from the Pilcrow and opens at 10am for the early non spooners.
    For the breakfast spooners, The Seven Stars (Lloyds No.1 Bar) is nearest to Shudehill tram stop but has the lowest score. The Waterhouse (JD Wetherspoon) might be better and handy to hop on a tram from St Peters Square to Shudehill.
    Last edited by AlanH; 13-08-2018 at 16:54.

Has the idea of going to Chorlton been shelved?
    I got the impression it was only ever an option if it was going to be a tram based crawl.
    Last time I was in the centre of Manchester was doing the last few JDWs and it was a Friday afternoon. The JDWs were packed to the extent that they were uncomfortable. Is this likely to be the case for the other city centre pubs?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    For the breakfast spooners, The Seven Stars is nearest to Shude Hill tram stop but has the lowest score. The Waterhouse might be better and handy to hop on a tram from St Peters Square to Shude Hill.
    That would be due to the Seven Stars being a Lloyds. It probably doesn't matter for breakfast unless you're after a guest ale. It's not a disastrous Lloyds so you might get lucky with an interesting early guest.

The Lower Turks Head / Scuttlers and the Hare & Hounds Hotel on Shudehill, adjacent to the tram stop are also interesting wildcards, more for the pubs than the beer, as they both claim to open at 11 o'clock. Especially the Turks Head for me as I have not been there for 25+ years prior to its long closure.
    The Hare & Hounds is a GBG Heritage pub (and it sells Joseph Holts! I can't visit Manchester without a drink of Joeys!).

Just too many pubs and too many choices to make.
    Last edited by AlanH; 27-07-2018 at 03:08.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    (and it sells Joseph Holts! I can't visit Manchester without a drink of Joeys!).
    Ah,Holts! Made strong men weep, and the highpoint of my sole visit to Manchester in the 1970s. Never come across it since:is it as memorable now?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Ah,Holts! Made strong men weep, and the highpoint of my sole visit to Manchester in the 1970s. Never come across it since:is it as memorable now?
    I don't drink it much now as I live in Wales (except when the The Ponsonby Arms in Llangollen get it on as a guest). I sometimes think it is not as bitter as it used to be but still enjoyable. I usually have a few when back in Manchester, especially as it is on the bar at FC United.
    Last edited by AlanH; 28-07-2018 at 01:47.