Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Watching this space with interest as we haven't been to Manchester since Winter Ales fest moved.

Couldn't walk round with you all, but when we know pub route and rough timings, we could plot a route Ray could cope with and take some of them in. Would be great to meet up with you all again. Will be at Sheffield fest on Thurs 11th and on a coach trip exploring pubs in the Kidderminster area on Sat 13th so could slot Manchester in!! Trains now available with some very cheap ones between Stoke and Manchester.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Are the ones listed around Shade Hill all as much a rip off as the Marble Arch?
    I can't see me getting to these ones but it would be useful to know for future refenece.

The two names that I've heard of countless times in the past are the Briton's Protection and the Peveril of the Peak.

Is the gentle stroll along Denasgate heading towards Piccadilly? I assume it is!

I'm so distressed to learn about the lack of group photo opportunities (NOT!!).
    Manchester isn't cheap anywhere really.

The Pilcrow is quite expensive, but a pint of Fyne Jarl was £3.20 in the Smithfield on Friday.

A gentle stroll along Deansgate is not towards Piccadilly.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Manchester isn't cheap anywhere really.
    Even the Holts pubs? The only central one I've been to is the Old Monkey.

A pint of Fyne Jarl was £3.20 in the Smithfield on Friday.
    That's OK.

A name I remember a lot from the past is the Lass O Gowrie. I've never been to it but is it now out of favour or just doesn't fit in with the route?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

A name I remember a lot from the past is the Lass O Gowrie. I've never been to it but is it now out of favour or just doesn't fit in with the route?
    It's now owned by Greene King.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Say no more squire!!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, was there the other day... it does have guest beers though and no GK shi*e PA/Abbot
    MILD:

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Watching this space with interest as we haven't been to Manchester since Winter Ales fest moved.

Couldn't walk round with you all, but when we know pub route and rough timings, we could plot a route Ray could cope with and take some of them in. Would be great to meet up with you all again. Will be at Sheffield fest on Thurs 11th and on a coach trip exploring pubs in the Kidderminster area on Sat 13th so could slot Manchester in!! Trains now available with some very cheap ones between Stoke and Manchester.
    Good news that you and Ray may be able to join the Manchester crawl at selected pubs.ROBCamra has sketched out a rough route and I'm sure that timings will get included at some point ,although you could always estimate 30 mins per pub on his list if that's any help.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Good news that you and Ray may be able to join the Manchester crawl at selected pubs. ROBCamra has sketched out a rough route and I'm sure that timings will get included at some point ,although you could always estimate 30 mins per pub on his list if that's any help.
    Yes, delighted that Gill and Ray may be able to join in. However, I would hesitate before assuming a 30 minute turn around per pub. ROBCamra's initial list runs to a Full Winfield, by my count, and 24 x 30 mins = 12 hours by anyone's reckoning. So with a 12 noon start, we would be leaving the last pub at midnight. (This is assuming that walking time is included in the 30 minutes.) This is a little later than the normal finish time for a PuG crawl...

I would suggest we await a more detailed itinerary!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...ROBCamra's initial list runs to a Full Winfield, by my count, and 24 x 30 mins = 12 hours by anyone's reckoning... I would suggest we await a more detailed itinerary!
    The itinerary might depend on who's coming, for those who haven't been to Manchester the list ought to include Marble Arch, Crown & Kettle, Peveril of the Peak, Briton's Protection.

Using those as fixed points that gives a crawl starting near Victoria Station (Pilcrow/Angel) and ending near Deansgate/Oxford Road stations (Rain Bar/Knott/Gasworks); it could take a route through the Northern Quarter (Castle/Soup Kitchen/Flok/Pie & Ale probably via Fringe then on to City Arms and Beermoth). The Smithfield opening at 2pm could make that pub a non-runner.

Alternatively the Deansgate group could be substituted for the Northern Quarter going via Rising Sun, Brink, Gaslamp, Dockyard, Cask and Knott before ending again at The Briton's Protection and Peveril of the Peak.

I've got my rail tickets sorted with a total cost of around £25.00 over the three days excluding my Tram journey to Bury. I'm not expecting to get to the Victoria area or the "Northern Quarter". I hope to get to a few venues at the end of the crawl but if Bury goes well it won't be many!