Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2018 pub crawl Manchester Friday 12th October

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ah the curse of thread drift.

Well we've just about got the runners and riders (need to decide if it's Chester or Chesterfield that goes into the mix as we now have 11 northish destinations) so all that remains is to run the poll. It looks like we've got the date too.

The Chester/Chesterfield debate could rumble on forever ,so I hope nobody minds that I've gone with Chester.The closing date of the poll is set for 9th July so that folk on holiday get a chance to vote.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The Chester/Chesterfield debate could rumble on forever ,so I hope nobody minds that I've gone with Chester.The closing date of the poll is set for 9th July so that folk on holiday get a chance to vote.
    In NUL Soup Dragon came up with the ultimate number 42 The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything. It went something like this :-

"It depends upon the perspective from which you look at it, and it doesn't matter anyway".

This was in response to a discussion as to who is the best Dr Who when he later wrongly said William Hartnell.

Spookily the Today programme debated the North/South question this morning, is John Humphries one of us?

Here's something they put on Facebook, best comment: "who said this identity stuff is rational"

https://www.facebook.com/thetodaypro...6437561448895/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    In NUL Soup Dragon came up with the ultimate number 42 The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything. It went something like this :-

"It depends upon the perspective from which you look at it, and it doesn't matter anyway".

This was in response to a discussion as to who is the best Dr Who when he later wrongly said William Hartnell.
    I dispute the Harnell, Squire! I said Harnell with Ian, Barbara and Susan had the best dynamic between Doc and companions; Pat Troughton was the best Doc; Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) the best single companion; Jon Pertwee under Barry Letts and Terry Dicks had the most socially relevant stories; The Hinchcliffe years of Tom Baker's Doc were the best 'horror/Gothic' stories; Eccleston was the best of new Who, Martha the best companion and the programme was effectively destroyed under Moffat.

I think that proves I don't over analyse, I don't look at things from differing perspectives and it really doesnt matter to me

As to how the Chester/Chesterfield debate goes - I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me.
    MILD:

Spookily the Today programme debated the North/South question this morning, is John Humphries one of us?

Here's something they put on Facebook, best comment: "who said this identity stuff is rational"

https://www.facebook.com/thetodaypro...6437561448895/
    John Humphreys? Isn't he Welsh?? What can he possibly know about the English Midlands??

With regard to Derbyshire, I regard Chesterfield as being the North but that's from a Southern perspective and I agree it's borderline. Anywhere in Derbyshire with a Stockport post code is ine the North, eg Buxton, Glossop and High Peak.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 23-06-2018 at 10:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I dispute the Harnell, Squire! I said Harnell with Ian, Barbara and Susan had the best dynamic between Doc and companions; Pat Troughton was the best Doc; Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith) the best single companion; Jon Pertwee under Barry Letts and Terry Dicks had the most socially relevant stories; The Hinchcliffe years of Tom Baker's Doc were the best 'horror/Gothic' stories; Eccleston was the best of new Who, Martha the best companion and the programme was effectively destroyed under Moffat.
    Several Memory Management Violations must have affected my recollection of this!

I think that proves I don't over analyse, I don't look at things from differing perspectives and it really doesnt matter to me
    And if proof were needed there's the bold typeface!

I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me.
    Well, that would place the Isles of Thanet and Sheppey in 'The North', so do I need a passport to get to the north Kent coast?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Well, that would place the Isles of Thanet and Sheppey in 'The North', so do I need a passport to get to the north Kent coast?
    Just imagine!
    MILD:

As to how the Chester/Chesterfield debate goes - I return to the treaty of Wedmore made between Alfred and Guthrum in 878. It placed all to the north of Watling Street as Guthrum's Danelaw and I go with that as I live half a mile from the road - even Cannock is in heathen confines to me.
    The historian speaks, , and I agree with Patrick Troughton and Elisabeth Sladen.Good work Soupy.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Ah the curse of thread drift.
    There seems to have been an epidemic while I was out this afternoon.

What exactly has Dr Who and needing passports to get to Thanet got to do with GeographyGalore?
    Come On You Hatters!