Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: How many times do you go to a pub per month?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

0 0%
  • 1-3

0 0%
  • 5-6

4 12.90%
  • 7-8

4 12.90%
  • 9+

23 74.19%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Put Decline, Essay help

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    ... just an observation that economic hardshit doesn't necessarily stop pub visiting.
    Fantastic typo, and not an easy one either, you had to cross the whole keyboard to get that one.

Also on the soft drink point, do pubs have to charge so much for them, I passed my driving test fairly quickly and was a nominated driver amongst my mates as I didn't mind not drinking and quite enjoyed driving, gods it was expensive for slightly fizzy water with a ton of sugar added. I don't think it is as bad now but I do wonder if pubs should just give free soft drinks if someone is a nominated driver with a group. Annnnyway...

Broadly agree with what everyone else has said, I do think that Alesonly's point about changing work culture is quite important though. I do think that we all work a lot harder, most families have both adults working and frequently longer hours, couple this with the changing attitude to drink and I just think that people go to the pub less, and in many ways I think people are frequently less sociable in general (although that may just be me).

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Fantastic typo, and not an easy one either, you had to cross the whole keyboard to get that one.

Butter it, I really bust improve my taping.

Though, given that both my typo and the OP's title typo are both pretty improbable (I refer to Conrad's incisive observation on key juxtaposition), is there something else going on here?
    Last edited by ETA; 17-06-2010 at 14:36.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Agree with all points made so far, but cost is a big factor to most I reckon, and the rip off on soft drinks, had a bloke order a cola for his kids,not real Coca Cola or Pepsi, just the stuff that comes out of hose, £1.40 for half pint, he was so shocked he mentioned it to me, a complete stranger, I bet he will not return with his family

Oddly enough and maybe the exception, I did start using pubs again when smoking ban came in

As a smug non smoker for nearly 40 years I hated the pong of someones smoke on my clothes, so I never went in pubs, drank at home

The point about changing with the times is also relevant, but many are unable to do so as the pubcos will not spend money on pubs, so the shabby pub gets shabbier whilst having to sell what pubco dictates
    Last edited by Farway; 17-06-2010 at 14:55. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    ...the pubcos will not spend money on pubs, so the shabby pub gets shabbier whilst having to sell what pubco dictates
    Don't get me started on another rant - Pubcos.

Maybe their own day doomsday is coming - I was hoping last year (when Enterprise's shares hit rock bottom and Punch was having problems) that these dinosaurs' asteroid had arrived, but somehow they have mutated into cockroaches and survived.

Come the revolution, I will have all Pubco board members shot (or maybe just made to do a few hours' community service) while their assets are handed over to the publicans and communities they have bled white over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Agree with all points made so far, but cost is a big factor to most I reckon, and the rip off on soft drinks, had a bloke order a cola for his kids,not real Coca Cola or Pepsi, just the stuff that comes out of hose, £1.40 for half pint, he was so shocked he mentioned it to me, a complete stranger, I bet he will not return with his family
    A few years ago a pub we used quite regularly close to us charged me 50p for a dash of coke in my wife's Bacardi. she has roughly the same amount of coke as Bacardi. How much does that work out a pint? Had we chose to go in again, which we haven,t, she,d have been back on the lager.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I agree with most opinions above: here are my two pennorth.
    1-the decline of the traditional pub landlord, who knows his or her customers and can "work the pub". I'm afraid that in my experience most managers don't have the commitenment or skill to fulfil this role. My appologies to any genuine mangers out there.
    2-the new puritanism-smoking is bad, drink is worse. Our 2 teenagers seem much more conventional and responsible than we were in the 70s and 80s.They do use pubs, but drink and pubs are viewed with a degree of distrust. I blame the schools!
    3-cost and lack of time.
    4-the development of the gastro pub making it an uncomfortable experience if you just want a drink. Food is important, and we often use the pub to eat, but a balance needs to be struck or else a further gap in society will occur.
    5-the main plus point for me is that the pub is the best level playing field or neutral meeting place yet developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I agree with most opinions above: here are my two pennorth.
    ... the pub is the best level playing field or neutral meeting place yet developed.
    It's probably the only establishment in the country where that is true.

A bit of banter yesterday with the barmaid. This is no joke. She derided the drinking of any alcohol. It was harmful to both health and ones social life. At the same time she defended the smoking of marijuana as purely recreational and harmless. Why did she, in her view, continue to poison her customers ? " Well gotta earn a living aint I ".Such touching concern.

I just realised. During the match yesterday evening there was an overpowering smell of marijuana...IN THE BAR. I am so used to smelling the stuff I must think its presence normal.
    Last edited by arwkrite; 18-06-2010 at 11:16.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Well gotta earn a living aint I ".Such touching concern.

But if she posessed teh two most valuable assets a barmaid can have, maybe you can forgive her?

Was a bit to thin for me. My taste runs to ample portions and then some. However she pulled a good pint and as long as she does not want me to smoke the stuff I think we can co-exist.