Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Belfast

Default Belfast

In a couple of weeks we are docking at Belfast for the day does anyone know of any must do pubs, and although things are different now any must dont pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    In a couple of weeks we are docking at Belfast for the day does anyone know of any must do pubs, and although things are different now any must dont pubs.
    I only went to the JDW and the Crown. The JDW is a fairly typical city centre one. I expect most people will say that the Crown is a must do. If you can put up with the rip off prices, poor service, bar stools at the bar, short measures and tourist hordes then the interior is worth seeing, Everything I walked past looked pretty awful. Rather like most of Scotland real ale doesn't seem to be a big thing in Ulster.

Thanks Aqualung for the info and will certainly be calling in the Wethys and probably play the rest by ear. With this one added might only be a mere 400 behind you

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Thanks Aqualung for the info and will certainly be calling in the Wethys and probably play the rest by ear. With this one added might only be a mere 400 behind you
    If you didn't know they don't serve alcohol until 11:30 in Ulster (lightweights!). The Crown may be OK first thing but early Thursday evening was horrendous. I don't suppose you'll have time but the JDW at Carrickfergus is unique. It seemed a nice town as well especially compared to Lisburn. I got the impression I only saw a small fraction of the city.

It's a while since I've been to Belfast and yes Crown Liquor Saloon is the don't miss pub in the city. I thought The Bridge House (JD Wetherspoon) was a pretty good 'Spoons and John Hewitt was outstanding (then). Otherwise stick to the Cathedral Quarter and it's probably best to avoid working class areas of either persuasion; obviously don't talk politics including the referendum in the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I only went to the JDW and the Crown. The JDW is a fairly typical city centre one. I expect most people will say that the Crown is a must do. If you can put up with the rip off prices, poor service, bar stools at the bar, short measures and tourist hordes then the interior is worth seeing, Everything I walked past looked pretty awful. Rather like most of Scotland real ale doesn't seem to be a big thing in Ulster.
    McHugh's was very good when I was last there.

Thanks fellows for the info on Belfast which as all been taken on board. Although not arriving till the 18th of June will be very busy the week before,with 2 days Southampton, then Greenock,Portree,Kirkwall and Inverness.