Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mattys Light

Oh those happy days when the breweries were falling over themselves to brew a "lager", no matter how awful and regardless of what ingredients or lagering time. The "Big Six" had tied up deals to make foreign brands under license in the UK but the family and regional brewers had to make their own. Not a lot was imported, Holstein Pils and maybe some bottled Heinekin and Carlsberg.

One of the worst was allegedly Grunhalle from Greenall Whitley (gedit?), I can't remember most of them as I didn't drink any, there was certainly a Brock Lager from Hall & Woodhouse (Badger Beers) and something horrible from Eldridge Pope; the name escapes me but it almost certainly ended in Stein or Brau. German and Danish beers were the ones to emulate before a little later the Aussie invasion happened and we got Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX brewed in exotic places like Reading or Bedford. Whatever happened to Paul Hogan?

This Space For Hire

For some reason tinned Swan lager was immensely popular in our students' union at the end of the seventies. It was pretty dire stuff, doubtless not helped by being bounced around on a ship for months. Then again the traditional alternative was Charrington's IPA, which was, shall we say, an acquired taste.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    something horrible from Eldridge Pope; the name escapes me but it almost certainly ended in Stein or Brau.
    Eldridge Pope used to have a beer called 'Faust Lager' - I only remember this because when I was a child, my Grandfather (who hated lager) had somehow acquired a branded Faust Lager pint pot which I used to drink lemonade from when we went to visit!