Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: University bars

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire Wild Rover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    BLACKBURN
    Posts
    857

    Default University bars

    Recently there has been quite a few University bars added to the site. Not all universities will be the same but my point is can the general public just walk on the campus and take photos inside the University.

  2. #2
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Recently there has been quite a few University bars added to the site. Not all universities will be the same but my point is can the general public just walk on the campus and take photos inside the University.
    In all the cases I can think of (which admittedly is only a modest sample), yes.

  3. #3
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Recently there has been quite a few University bars added to the site. Not all universities will be the same but my point is can the general public just walk on the campus and take photos inside the University.
    More to the point, surely, is whether members of the public can walk into any of these bars and buy a drink.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    More to the point, surely, is whether members of the public can walk into any of these bars and buy a drink.
    By coincidence, someone told me yesterday that my old student bar near Euston is selling beer at £2.00 a pint and that anyone can go in. I would imagine that the official position is that a club licence applies where the "members" are those that work or study at the university.

  5. #5
    Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Horndean, Hants
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    More to the point, surely, is whether members of the public can walk into any of these bars and buy a drink.
    I have never tried, but I would think the answer is "no" to anyone strolling in off the street & buying a drink

    Younger ones may get way with it, but I bet a few pensioners would be challenged on entry or at the bar

    This then brings us back to what should be listed on here?
    I drink to make others more interesting

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Wild Rover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    BLACKBURN
    Posts
    857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I have never tried, but I would think the answer is "no" to anyone strolling in off the street & buying a drink

    Younger ones may get way with it, but I bet a few pensioners would be challenged on entry or at the bar

    This then brings us back to what should be listed on here?
    Exactly was what i was thinking. By the end of the year i was hoping to finish all the Lancashire listed pubs but this has put a spanner in the works.

  7. #7
    Spritzer Swallower
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rover View Post
    Exactly was what i was thinking. By the end of the year i was hoping to finish all the Lancashire listed pubs but this has put a spanner in the works.
    if you're wondering about the Lancaster University bars I added last week, yes anyone can have a drink in them. the local CAMRA group regularly come here and one is even GBG listed.

  8. #8
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I have never tried, but I would think the answer is "no" to anyone strolling in off the street & buying a drink

    Younger ones may get way with it, but I bet a few pensioners would be challenged on entry or at the bar

    This then brings us back to what should be listed on here?
    There are so many academics and university staff of all ages, not to mention visitors for seminars, conferences, etc., that it really doesn't seem an issue in my experience.

    However, there are often some 'student bars' in the vicinity that are quite blatantly ageist, but these are not usually run by the university itself.

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    There are so many academics and university staff of all ages, not to mention visitors for seminars, conferences, etc., that it really doesn't seem an issue in my experience.

    However, there are often some 'student bars' in the vicinity that are quite blatantly ageist, but these are not usually run by the university itself.
    A former university worker writes: Do remember that for 20 weeks a year there are no undergraduates about. Researchers have a different age profile and socialising is more akin to any other workplace. I would add that bars are a crucial revenue stream for students unions and they won't readily turn away custom. Our SU charges I think a pound to join and encourages patrons of an annual summer-long classical music festival that occurs nearby to visit.
    .

  10. #10
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,270

    Default

    Park House is absolutely open to the public and is a contender for the good book this year.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 07:34
  2. Called to the Bar - Are craft beer bars the new Irish bars?
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-09-2013, 12:24
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 09:23
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 07:14
  5. Too Many Baa Bars
    By Pangolin in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-10-2010, 10:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •