Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Health Benefit in Beer

Default New Health Benefit in Beer

Just read an article in New Scientist about brittle bones and how drinking beer (in moderation) can promote bone growth and improve bone density. The bets beers for doing this are those with the highest levels of silicon - "...lighter-coloured beers made from pale malted barley and hops, such as pale ales...while low-alcohol beers contain the least, along with stouts, porters and wheat beers".

Now I really can tell the wife that my increase in weight caused by drinking beer is just my becoming bigger boned.

Reference, in case anyone wants to read the whole article, is Bamforth and Casey, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, DOI, 10.1002/JSFA.38840), (University of California).

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

With this new insight, will it be possible to get on prescription?

As silly old s0d I get free prescriptions, oh just thought of possible problem, drink stazi would monitor intake and no doubt send one to a drink re-education centre for the criminally boozey

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Now I really can tell the wife that my increase in weight caused by drinking beer is just my becoming bigger boned.
    Well if my weight is anything to go by, I have the thigh bones of a Tyrranosaurus Rex.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I seem too remember years ago Beers like Mackinson & Guinness had advertising & marketing saying its good for you & they also used too give it too woman in hospitals years ago and I remember my Gran saying her doctor recommended it when she was pregnant. I remember in the 60s lots of woman used too drink Mackinson stout for this reason.
    It seems someone has just been paid a grant of probably thousands too read a bit of history.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guiness-is-good-&#1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	302
    This sort of story is only good for poking fun at I think, and should only be taken as seriously as the next story that comes along telling us about how much quicker those that drink die.

Todays health story comes from the good ole U.S of A ( you know ..that lot whose football team showed us up the other day). It seems some people have been monitored for twenty years and those who eat Brown Rice have less chance of getting diabetes in later life.
    I think I prefer the drink related stories and there appears to be one every other day to amuse us. The amount of money spent on pointless research these days would probably feed the worlds hungry or quench the thirst of mild drinkers everywhere.
    My bones are of average size but are covered in to much ...err....covering. Reading the comments above I don't think I am alone in being of ample proportions. Not to many of us in a telephone box methinks.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    .... The amount of money spent on pointless research these days would probably feed the worlds hungry or quench the thirst of mild drinkers everywhere.
    Both can be solved at once, I am sure that I read somewhere that beer makes you sterile, so we just give out more beer as a family planning solution

In the last week or so another researcher " proved" what every bloke on the pull on a weekend knows. The more you drink the better she looks. I am well aware of this. I have gone home with as many dogs as you see on a Winalot advert. It must be natures way of compensating the ugly ones and ensuring they get their fair share of whats going.
    Before I am accused of being sexist I am sure that this effect works both ways but slightly different. Have you noticed how many good looking females get off with ugly blokes ? ( hello me font changed again ).
    I dont mind the ugly ones...more grateful for whats on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I have gone home with as many dogs as you see on a Winalot advert. It must be natures way of compensating the ugly ones and ensuring they get their fair share of whats going.
    ...I dont mind the ugly ones...more grateful for whats on offer.
    I've never gone home with an ugly woman. (I've woken up with a few, though).

Yes ETA I see what you mean, but in some cases I , no pun intended, knew what I was getting in to. So often girls came in pairs as did chaps , not as they do now...hunt in packs. One was a looker ( a Cruiser ) and the other....uurrmmm......not so good looker ( A Tug ). My mate and I took it it turns in who had the Tug. It soon became apparent that I got lucky more often with the ugly ones than the lookers.
    Luckily ,when it was important I pulled two I of the best Lookers I have ever met and they came complete with more brains than me. Hopefully there is a third out there. I notice the dogs have started sniffing.