Ads not shown when logged in
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Summer 2018 crawl

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I may take the slightly shorter walk to the Signal Radio stop, slightly NW of station from where the 164 runs hourly (at 20 past), 8 mins.
    Stop Q looks good on the return though, if leaving time to tick the White Star and Glebe.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Really good to see you all after a few years away (even Ray).
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Really good to see you all after a few years away (even Ray).
    Yes, great to see you too - especially after what you've been through.

Others in attendance:

Dave M and Cider Drinker - sporting a beard and purple nails respectively
    ROBCamra & Ms Camra - good to meet you at last
    Aqualung - well done for suggesting Newcastle
    Trainman - good to see you again after you had to miss Brighton
    Alan H - that was a nasty gash you got tripping over that kerb; hope you're ok
    Real Ale Ray and Mrs - ticking those micropubs off your list
    Gann - thanks for listening
    Bucking Fastard - glad you could make it
    RPAdam - thanks for joining me off piste at the Holy Inadequate
    ...and me - I'm not the messiah

Some photos of participants (Aqualung somehow missing from these shots):
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Come On You Hatters!

Despite suffering from Sarah Hughes blues from the day before, I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed meeting up with the gang in NUL which I was told in no uncertain terms is not part of Stoke!
    I had to leave the Lymestone Vaults as I was finding it impossible to keep a straight face with people looking but not approaching me in case I turned out to be Big Effing Dave from Viz. In the end it was BF's interrogation that elicited the confession in the next pub Wellers.
    I wished I had achieved more than just a cursory conversation with just about everyone apart from Soup Dragon, Real Ale Ray and Mrs Ale. I was astonished how young Soup Dragon is and how tall BF is. Real Ale Ray was no surprise at all, a real scouser (Liverpool is my favourite English city). I never got the chance to tell the story of how I used to get called a Scouse Git by an old Irish Arsenal supporter back in the 1980s.
    Mrs Ale epitomised everything good about Ireland.

Despite Soup Dragon repeatedly saying "I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own", it turned out that it was a backlog of reviews plus the Holyhead dross that made him give up. Holyhead could have broken me only I knew there were pints of Moonraker to be had after the ordeal was over.

When the WCML Virgin advance tickets sort themselves out I will defo have a weekday visit to try the Holy Inadequate and I'd also like to go there again on a Saturday to give Freebird a try plus revisits.

Yes great day was had. Not sure who first suggested NUL (Aqualung?) but congrats to whoever it was. In the words of that long forgotten TV add strap line , I never knew there was so much in it.

And once again big congrats to Will for the plan. I know you don’t want the mantle but you will always be the messiah to us who don’t want to think on the day. But you will be pleased to know that a group of us did show initiative to visit the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House and had much better visits than your inaugural ones.

And I hope Nev managed to wake up at Hereford North. It was tempting to leave you in deep sleep at Euston but had to repay the complement from the Stockport trip.

All in all a great day and can’t wait for the next one..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Going off topic, who spotted the licence application by Titanic brewery on the door of the old First Class Lounge at Stoke station?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news...-craft-1169939

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    And I hope Nev managed to wake up at Hereford North.
    ... a bit of a shock to him if he did, assuming he was heading for Hertford.
    Come On You Hatters!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

A fine day with, as Will predicted, a criss-crossing of groups around the pubs and, as Ian predicted, tm ending up very 'nicely,' as Wakefield Andy would say. Well, it's kind of what we're there for!
    Sorry Nev and Gann, wasn't avoiding you on train just flopped in a seat and kipped - I, too, had to be woken at Euston - must have had some cheese in my ears Ray. Nev, I'm conscious I owe you for taxi...
    Hope everyone got home ok and didn't succumb to the 'monkeydust' which I heard is rife and problematic in the area. Maybe could have done with some yesterday which was very low key, letting the London team down.
    Those who missed the Holy Inadequate need to try to make the short journey out if ever in the area again - my potd.

Cheers all, j

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ... a bit of a shock to him if he did, assuming he was heading for Hertford.
    Folk do mix up Hertford and Hereford,but thankfully I weaved home succesfully after the timely wake up call at Euston.Great to meet up again with the usual suspects ,pleased to finally catch up with Aqualung and welcome back Soupy !19 pubs on the day is as close as I will get to the full Winfield,and many thanks Will for the research ,suggestions and pub information.Amazed and delighted that a cab fare works out much cheaper than the local buses,although hats off to Gann for walking back to Stoke station from Hartshill,sensibly avoiding more beers in the White Star and Glebe.

See you all oop north later in the year.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 17-06-2018 at 15:53.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Ouch.

Took my eye off the ball and thought this crawl was next month. I expect it must have been fun as always!