Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer 2018 crawl

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    What time are we meeting at on Friday?
    Have you read the documents attached to my post #73 here?

This is just a snippet, but it contains the essential information which I think you are after:

All town centre pubs should be open by 12 noon (though the Old Brown Jug was not when visited in April – though this may be low on most people's lists anyway).

The suggestion is that people make their own way
    around the town centre rather than trying
    to stick to some sort of timetable.

Rather than, as we usually do, meeting up at the start and going round as a group, this will result in potentially random meetings at different pubs at different times. (A later meeting place for the whole group is suggested below.)

So, very approximately, the running order might look something like this:

11:00 Arnold Machin (Wetherspoons)
    11:30 Hogarths
    12:00 Lymestone Vaults
    12:20 Wellers
    12:40 Old Bulls Head
    13:00 Thirsty Giraffe/Ten Green Bottles (double header)
    13:30 Hopwater Cellar/Bridge Street Alehouse (double header)
    14:00 Old Brown Jug (wild card)
    14:30 Mellards

Suggested meeting point at 14:30

Mellards is handy for the bus station, has a pleasant atmosphere and an outdoors area which may be a suitable place for group photos. It is suggested as a meeting place because there needs to be a decision made (or a number of decisions) as to which (if any) of the outliers people want to do.

Hope that helps. You might also want to read Aqualung's post at #74 and my response at #75.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 13-06-2018 at 15:33.
    Come On You Hatters!

Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, and unless Nev has a more cunning plan, I was intending to follow the above suggested route to Mellers starting from Hogarths..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, ..
    Please don't tell me I have to start doing research - I thought the bus was ~10mins..?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Please don't tell me I have to start doing research - I thought the bus was ~10mins..?
    OK, the 25 bus from opposite Stoke station goes every 20 mins (1107, 1127, etc) and takes about 23 minutes to get to Newcastle bus station (it goes to the hospital and around the estates).

Or you can walk to your right out of the station approach, right at the end, under the railway then over the river, left at the council buildings and right to pass the minster. At the end is Church St, look for Stop Q on the right, opposite side. When I did this in April my train got in at 1133 and I caught the 11 bus at 1142, so it's not far. The 11 bus goes at 20 minute intervals (1102, 1122, 1142 etc) and takes only nine minutes to get to Newcastle.
    Come On You Hatters!

I've taken a copy of the spreadsheet that Will produced with the 22 potential targets and created a map (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcraw...under-lyme.php) of them which some may find helpful.

Bear in mind the numbering is based one the order they are listed on the spreadsheet, not the order one might attempt to do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I've taken a copy of the spreadsheet that Will produced with the 22 potential targets and created a map (https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubcraw...under-lyme.php) of them which some may find helpful.

Bear in mind the numbering is based on the order they are listed on the spreadsheet, not the order one might attempt to do them.
    That's fantastic!

Now if you could just combine that with the times of all the buses between and around Stoke on Trent, Newcastle under Lyme and - only if you have time - Etruria as well, that would be great!

Oh, just remembered: Ashton under Lyne as well, just in case.

(Sorry, can't find a "just kidding, pay no attention" emoji.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    OK, the 25 bus from opposite Stoke station goes every 20 mins (1107, 1127, etc) and takes about 23 minutes to get to Newcastle bus station (it goes to the hospital and around the estates).

Or you can walk to your right out of the station approach, right at the end, under the railway then over the river, left at the council buildings and right to pass the minster. At the end is Church St, look for Stop Q on the right, opposite side. When I did this in April my train got in at 1133 and I caught the 11 bus at 1142, so it's not far. The 11 bus goes at 20 minute intervals (1102, 1122, 1142 etc) and takes only nine minutes to get to Newcastle.
    Nice, thanks. Above and beyond, as always Will...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Also above and beyond, thanks Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    FREE RESEARCH:
    They are!
    The 10.47 No. 25 gets to N-u-L at 11.10
    The 11.07 No 25 gets to N-U-L at 11.30

If thirsty, 9 min walk to stop Q
    The 11.00 No. 1 gets to N-u-L at 11.09
    The 11.02 No.11 gets to N-u-L at 11.11
    The 11.20 No.1A gets to N-u-L at 11.29
    The 11.22 No 11 gets to N-u-L at 11.31

The 10.48 train gets to Ashton-u-Lyne at 12.34 the
    Last edited by AlanH; 14-06-2018 at 09:28.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Me and Nev are scheduled to get into Stoke at 10.38AM , so by the time we've caught the bus I expect we will be in Newcastle nearer 11.30AM, and unless Nev has a more cunning plan, I was intending to follow the above suggested route to Mellers starting from Hogarths..

I was planning to walk over the A500 & canal and get a quick bus to NuL from stop Q,and then do just as you say by following the running order above ,starting at whichever pub is listed at the time of arrival and carrying on until the 2.30pm rendevous in Mellards.With potentially 10 town centre pubs to tick before the rendevous,that should keep me busy

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 14-06-2018 at 15:07.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson