Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer 2018 crawl

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Newcastle has 2 GBG listed micropubs, the Lymestone Vaults (also GBG), a good Joules pub with a couple of decent guests, a Titanic pub with a GBG listed Free House on the way back to town, a biker's GBG listed Free House that doesn't open until 17:00 on Fridays and a Weal Ales outlet called Wellers. The Spoons is average and there may well be more to add to that list.

I can't make a case for Stamford at all, having visited the JDW I doubt that I would go back.
    The five GBG2018 pubs are, Bridge Street Ale House, Freebird, Hop Inn, Hopwater Cellar, Lymestone vaults. I used to drive through the place and wasn't impressed but I've never drunk there so couldn't possibly comment. Inconveniently it doesn't have a railway station so it's a bus from Stoke.

Stamford is good, four GBG2018 pubs plus a couple of other decent ones, it's compact and has rail connections (via Peterborough I believe so ECML).

I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill. Rail links are still a little bit convoluted, especially from Leeds, it's usually a change at Peterborough from London. While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).

I'd go to Kidderminster any time but Stourbridge was mostly shut when I went there and there's the rattler from Stourbridge Junction to "enjoy", but I could be persuaded.

How do we set up a poll?

Contenders so far (with GBG pubs)

Bridgnorth (6)
    Kidderminster (7)
    Lichfield (4)
    Lincoln (9)
    Loughborough (6)
    Newark (5)
    Newcastle UL (5)
    Norwich (26)
    Stamford (4)
    Stourbridge (5)

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill. Rail links are still a little bit convoluted, especially from Leeds, it's usually a change at Peterborough from London. While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).
    I have seen trains for Lincoln when at St Pancras, but on checking it turns out they are in the evenings (presumably for commuters?). There are some trains from St P, changing at Nottingham, but the fastest route from London is change at Peterborough, as you suggest.

From the north, there are some trains from Doncaster to Lincoln, for example depart Leeds 9:45, change at Doncaster 10:16/10:24, arrive at Lincoln 11:16.

Newark is good. I went there a few years back and had a good day out, and I believe it has got better since then. Didn't we have Newark on a poll a couple of years ago?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    "

Lincoln is not so hard to get to as it used to be, as there are trains from London, Nottingham, Sheffield and Doncaster.
    Easier to get to Moscow from Wales! Another "Beast from the East".

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

From the north, there are some trains from Doncaster to Lincoln, for example depart Leeds 9:45, change at Doncaster 10:16/10:24, arrive at Lincoln 11:16.
    Donny's a pain in the ar*e from home and pricey especially if I go via York (3 trains as well as the bus), the best/cheapest route is usually Leeds - Sheffield - Lincoln, just a bit slow.

I think it would be pushing things to call Lincoln the Midlands but it's great for pubs apart from that bloody hill.
    I hope a certain person from Nottingham doesn't see that! That hill and distances are a deal breaker for me plus the fact that I'd rather not go to a Bateman's pub after they so brazenly watered down XXXB some years ago.

While we're in the Lincoln/ECML area, Newark isn't bad for a day out either just a bit of a walk from the ECML station (North Gate).

I thoroughly enjoyed a day in Newark and seem to recall the trek from the station is the only one.

I'd go to Kidderminster any time but Stourbridge was mostly shut when I went there and there's the rattler from Stourbridge Junction to "enjoy", but I could be persuaded.
    I'm not sure anything would be shut in Stourbridge on a Friday or Saturday. The Batham's one and the Duke William are killer pubs but are there enough others? I haven't been to the micropub. The boneshaker makes the idea of a combined visit with Kidderminster a bit impractical.

How do we set up a poll?

Pass!

Last edited by hondo; 29-03-2018 at 12:16.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

The boneshaker makes the idea of a combined visit with Kidderminster a bit impractical.
    The "Boneshaker" only takes 5 minutes and runs every 10 minutes. It doesn't travel fast enough to shake any bones in its 3/4 mile journey.

Kidderminster to Stourbridge Junction takes just 12 minutes.

...plus the fact that I'd rather not go to a Bateman's pub after they so brazenly watered down XXXB some years ago.
    I understand that there's a new young head brewer there now who is restoring XXXB to its former glory.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I'm obliged, however I don't get taken to the poll creation page. Anyone else care to try?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I'm obliged, however I don't get taken to the poll creation page. Anyone else care to try?
    I noticed that there are only a maximum of 10 options for a poll.Happy to post a poll for the date but this will only carry the 10 Fridays and Saturday from Friday June 15th until Saturday 14th July.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson