Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 144

Thread: Summer 2018 crawl

  1. #71
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I feel a bit sad that we can't consider going on this one if pubs are so close as it could be doable for Ray. We will be in Norway.
    What a shame! I hope you have a lovely time in Norway, by way of a consolation prize.
    Come On You Hatters!

  2. #72
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,678

    Default Norway

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    We will be in Norway. Already found a few breweries!!
    Interesting country, and spectacular scenery, but take plenty of cash as beer is really expensive...

  3. #73
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Can we agree to leave it to Will to devise a route that includes all wild cards and optional extensions? I'll assume a lack of response means a YES!
    May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the answer I gave earlier?

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Whether it's possible to put this all together into a crawl route is another matter - maybe individuals will have to devise their own preferences and routes according to their stamina and the arrival/departure times of their trains.
    I now feel like I've been neglecting my homework and have had to rush to catch up. In fact, as I can recall from when this happened with real homework, I've ended up by not really answering the question. That is, I've (fairly subtly, I think) left it to you all to devise your own routes!

    Anyway, please see the attached documents. See you all in Newcastle!
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #74
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Excellent work!
    I'll just clarify something which may not be obvious if you fail to take in the Transport & Walking notes. Outliers 1-3 are arguably part of Newcastle but don't really fit in with the main scheme, largely due to late opening. Outlier 4 the Holy Inadequate is in another part of Stoke called Etruria which I'd heard of but had to look on the map to see where it was. The outskirts ones (I call them the Greyhound group) contain two I visited in 2016 (Greyhound & Hopinn) when I walked to them in the rain and back to the bus station. I was less of a physical wreck then but still a wreck. I seem to recall it being uphill from the centre but not desperate.

    Given there are four (?) micropubs it's probably a very good idea not to have a fixed and timed route as generally these venues aren't suited to a large influx of punters all at the same time.

  5. #75
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Excellent work!
    I'll just clarify something which may not be obvious if you fail to take in the Transport & Walking notes. Outliers 1-3 are arguably part of Newcastle but don't really fit in with the main scheme, largely due to late opening. Outlier 4 the Holy Inadequate is in another part of Stoke called Etruria which I'd heard of but had to look on the map to see where it was. The outskirts ones (I call them the Greyhound group) contain two I visited in 2016 (Greyhound & Hopinn) when I walked to them in the rain and back to the bus station. I was less of a physical wreck then but still a wreck. I seem to recall it being uphill from the centre but not desperate.

    Given there are four (?) micropubs it's probably a very good idea not to have a fixed and timed route as generally these venues aren't suited to a large influx of punters all at the same time.
    Thanks for your useful input.

    The Holy Inadequate was recommended to me by two people in two different Newcastle pubs when they heard that I was doing a reconnaissance for a pub crawl. It also comes highly recommended by some of our members. And although you are quite right that it is not in Newcastle, it is only a seven minute bus ride (see Google maps). I know you have already said you weren't interested in "out of town extras" yourself, but I would encourage others to join me on this addition to the main route. (I'll be quite happy to do it on my own, though.)

    Your thought about some of the smaller pubs is a good one, though, and it was at the back of my mind while recommending the not-at-all-rigorously-scheduled route around the town centre, so thanks for reinforcing that point.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #76
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The Holy Inadequate was recommended to me by two people in two different Newcastle pubs when they heard that I was doing a reconnaissance for a pub crawl.

    It sounds to me like it's worth a cheap weekday trip up on the slow 08:46 Crewe service to give it an "intensive investigation", Although it appears to be nearer Stoke Rail Station your direct 4 bus to it ends up at the main Stoke bus station at Hanley so you have to go via there or just walk it. I must have seen it in the GBG but discarded it as it's the only one in the area.

  7. #77
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    River Nene
    Posts
    2,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It sounds to me like it's worth a cheap weekday trip up on the slow 08:46 Crewe service to give it an "intensive investigation", Although it appears to be nearer Stoke Rail Station your direct 4 bus to it ends up at the main Stoke bus station at Hanley so you have to go via there or just walk it. I must have seen it in the GBG but discarded it as it's the only one in the area.
    I often walk down the towpath from Etruria to Stoke station when boating,a very pleasant 20 minutes passing by all the locks of the Stoke flight.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  8. #78
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Excellent work Will...

    And far be it for me to add or complicate the great work, but whilst familarising myself with the plan of action and options available the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House kept popping up for pubs on the bus route back to Stoke.
    They seem to be getting encouraging reviews in other areas but obviously didn't float your boat when you visited.
    Due to their proximity to the Greyhound I'm wondering if they could make sense as wild cards further down the Hartshill Road for those with late trains ?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  9. #79
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    ... whilst familarising myself with the plan of action and options available the Artisan Tap and Sanctuary Ale House kept popping up for pubs on the bus route back to Stoke.
    They seem to be getting encouraging reviews in other areas but obviously didn't float your boat when you visited.
    Due to their proximity to the Greyhound I'm wondering if they could make sense as wild cards further down the Hartshill Road for those with late trains ?
    That was what I thought at first, but my reconnaissance visit in April caused me to drop that part of the plan. Especially when the Etruria option was suggested to me.

    It seems to me a better idea after the Greyhound would be to get a bus to within spitting distance of the station and have a last half or two at the White Star (average rating 9) or the Glebe (average rating 7.5).

    But by all means go ahead and do the Artisan (average rating 5) and the Sanctuary (average rating 4). I'll just say this now, to save me saying it afterwards: "Told you so!"
    Come On You Hatters!

  10. #80
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Having bumped into you in Sheffield yesterday --- as you do --- I feel a bit sad that we can't consider going on this one if pubs are so close as it could be doable for Ray. We will be in Norway. Already found a few breweries!!

    Gill
    When we lived in Stavanger we found https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...rn_Norway.html was a pretty good local. Lots of beer choice and really quite civilised compared to the other city centre bars.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Similar Threads

  1. New pub visits 2018
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: 16-10-2018, 14:42
  2. 2018 Targets
    By trainman in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13-01-2018, 22:06
  3. Oxford pub crawl Summer 2016
    By Dave M in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 20:07
  4. Summer Pubs Galore crawl
    By Quinno in forum Recommend Me Do & Meet Ups
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 21:56
  5. Summer 2015 PuG crawl ?
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-05-2015, 20:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •