Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Canal Side Pubs

Teetotal

Default Canal Side Pubs

I live in Cheddleton Staffs, a small village with TWO canalside pubs, The Boat Inn and the Red Lion (my local).

Have you any Canal Side pubs, and have any closed down due to the smoking ban.

John

www.boatsandcanals.co.uk

Teetotal

surley now some canal side pubs have shut down

I'll stay on me own

Hi John,

I have had a quick think and the only canalside pub that i know has closed is the Bridge Inn in Ilkeston this pub was on the Erewash canal.

Cheers Alan

Hi John,

How close do you want them. Bang on the canalside or a couple of minutes walk.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Berkhamsted near me in Hertfordshire is a good place for canal side pubs as it has three right on the canal. The Crystal Palace has an entrance from the towpath, The Boat has a terrace overlooking the canal and the Rising Sun has a lock right outside. The Bull is also accesible from the canal with just a minute or two's walk.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Teetotal

Right on the canalside please

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Johnny,

I travel around a lot of the canal system and have marked the following canalside pubs as closed over the last 18 months.I hope this list helps but please be aware that circumstances may change and it is possible some of these pubs may have reopened,although that has not been reported by pubsgalore contributors as yet.
    I have not included former pubs that have been demolished or converted to residential use,I believe all of the following exist but stand unused.

White Lion,Marsworth
    Swan,Whittington
    Bush,Wednesbury
    Boot,Nuneaton
    Penny Ferry,Cambridge (Riverside on the Cam)
    Navigation,Bedworth
    Friendly Fox ,Keadby

I am sure I can list a lot more canalside pubs which are closed and have been marked closed by other contributors,if you can let me know the part of the country you are focussing on,I could trawl through the excellent database on pubsgalore and come up with more names.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not closed, and from my experience very far from needing to close Anchor at Pyrford Lock, Wisley, Surrey

Minutes from M25 and not far from Guildford, all in stockbroker belt, the place must be a gold mine

Not sure if it fits the bill, as not strictly a real, dug, canal, although was used by barges
    Last edited by Farway; 18-09-2011 at 14:33.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny b View Post

Have you any Canal Side pubs, and have any closed down due to the smoking ban.
    Pubs close for all sorts of reasons but I expect it is very difficult to identify whether a pub has lost sufficient trade as to be unviable purely due to the smoking ban. I personally think that there is every chance for every lost smoking customer there could be a new one who prefers a clean air environment. The current economic climate and cheap booze deals in supermarkets have caused much more damage in my humble opinion.
    Pubs close to attractive features such as much of the canal network have, I'd say, a distinct advantage over your backstreet local in so far as if well run and marketed with decent food they will be destination pubs for many, especially in summer and at weekends.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Not many canal side pubs around here , but the ones that are seem to be doing OK .

Slightly different Peartree Bridge Inn is now closed (converted to flats) but outlasted the canal by around 100 years
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !