Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: There's no accounting for taste

This Space For Hire

Default There's no accounting for taste

Spotted on another pub review website about a station bar (no, not that one)

"I usually drink the cider in this pub when I'm waiting for my train.

Tried the Stella last night and it was simply outstanding. One of the finest pints I've ever had."

I was in a pub a little while ago, when a chap walked in the door to be greeted by one of his chums asking him "pint of Carling John?". John replied "No, that's rubbish - I'll have a pint of Fosters". I also saw a review where someone said that the lager was excellent because it was really cold. But everyone to their own - if super-cold bog standard lagers are what you like then who am I to argue?

You can say the same about lovers of Mcdonalds, cheap pizzas,chicken wraps and every other sort of bland rubbish advertising convinces the masses that its good to consume.You become used to it and taste buds become redundant. I have lost count the number of times when ordering real ale some ones has said " You don't drink that crap do you ? ". I do not critise other people when they order drinks despite what I may think of their choice. The same may be said of the " volume" drinker who just gets it down his neck in large quantities regardless of what it is.
    But its what ever turns you on and I am just glad I do not run with the common herd.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

So true, my local this week has two of our very local micro brewery ales on offer, Havant Started & Havant Stopped Dancing, both lovely pints

Bloke walked in lunchtime today, ordered the John Smith's Smooth

I must admit in my youth I drank the likes of Double Diamond and such like because I found it tasted the same where ever you went.Now I drink real ale the quality is variable but it is not like drinking something with virtually no taste which any "Smoothie" suffers from. Even ordinary keg is much tastier than that.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    So true, my local this week has two of our very local micro brewery ales on offer, Havant Started & Havant Stopped Dancing, both lovely pints
    I rember checking out the brewery website, when you first mentioned it FW. From the tasting notes they both sound excellent. Will keep an eye out for them (more in hope than expectation).
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

And, in the same vein....

A good few years back, in the Market Porter (something of an ale legend in Central London), after a football match, a bunch of Millwall fans came in. Most went for Fosters/Carling/whatever. One fellow took his time, though, had a quick look up and down the bar (we thought - this is interesting - good man!), then he announced his choice = "John Smiths" - the smooth, of course (we thought - well never mind what we thought, not so impressed now, though).

You really wonder why they decided the Porter should be their post-match venue - is it that pubs that care about their ale just tend to be better pubs?
    Last edited by PaulOfHorsham; 12-06-2010 at 22:11.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    You really wonder why they decided the Porter should be their post-match venue - is it that pubs that care about their ale just tend to be better pubs?
    Probably a big reflection upon the landlord /lady/ teneant /manager, at least they care enough to clean out the pipes, taste the stuff they are selling and generally "run a tight ship" in as much things will work, punters will be "advised" when behaviour is below par, even order a taxi home for the over extended, just really keep an eye on what is after all thier bread, butter & livelyhood

Sadly some seem to think the public have duty to come in & spend money, and if they do not it all down to tax, supermarkets or whatever, never anything to do with grotty beer & surroundings

Rant over

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

In a pub after the England game yesterday we’d drunk them out of Bath Gem and moved on to the Caledonian Flying Dutchman. I went up to the bar and a young stereotypical lager drinker arrived just after me. The barmaid approached and I asked for a couple of Flying Dutchmen and she disappeared to the other side of the bar to get them. I could see this young bloke wondering what they were and as I caught his eye I said “they're a bit like Flaming Sambucas” and he nodded knowingly. As the barmaid returned with two pints I looked at him and added “but not much”
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.