Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Miller & Carter - steakhouse or pub?

Default Miller & Carter - steakhouse or pub?

Please see this thread for background: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...1994#post91994

Has anyone gone into one of these Miller & Carters for just a drink? Should they be on Pubs Galore?

For what it's worth, I agree with Old Boots on this one up to the point where he says "From the website it sort of looks like you must have a steak so I'd say chuck them out i.e all Miller & Carter outlets." In my experience there are plenty of websites for hotels etc where there's no mention of a public bar and the full emphasis is on food. But if you turn up at the hotel and go in the bar you can have a drink without ordering food, no problem. So I think the decision on inclusion should depend on the experiences of our members in attempting to get "just a drink".
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The one nearest me is an ex Harvester (it's an M&B brand) bolted onto a Premier Inn.

Harvester

Tables outside and whathaveyou - bound to be able to just have a drink. And opening hours are longer than food service hours. If I really can't think of anything else to do I'll stop by and review it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.37...7i13312!8i6656
    Last edited by NickDavies; 02-03-2018 at 10:04.

I've been in to the one at Worcester Park, and it's as much of a pub as when it was a Harvester. I uploaded a photo with my pint on a table - and no food! Deal with each one on a case by case basis I reckon.
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 02-03-2018 at 10:36.

I agree with Rex - I've been into three of these now (Bournemouth, Bristol and Northolt) and I've been able just to have a pint in all of them.
    Last edited by ETA; 02-03-2018 at 10:41.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I've been in to the one at Worcester Park, and it's as much of a pub as when it was a Harvester. I uploaded a photo with my pint on a table - and no food! Deal with each one on a case by case basis I reckon.
    Yes I agree with Rex, been in the same pub, although no real ale was present I was able to get a delightful craft Carling or something similar, as long as you can get a pint or half without a meal it should remain, although not my cup of tea this is PubsGalore , Not Real Ale Only PubsGalore.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Yes I agree with Rex, been in the same pub, although no real ale was present I was able to get a delightful craft Carling or something similar, as long as you can get a pint or half without a meal it should remain, although not my cup of tea this is PubsGalore , Not Real Ale Only PubsGalore.
    Yes I agree too. As I said in the original thread: "My personal view is that anywhere that serves a range of drinks; wine, cocktails, spirits and beer or cider in whatever form, and you can pop in just for a drink on the premises without buying a meal or renting a room or booking a table or suchlike, can and should be listed on here. I wouldn't list somewhere that only sold one type of drink (eg cocktails or wine) but would make an exception for somewhere selling beer or cider only."

This Space For Hire

When they converted Bristol I rang them up and enquired after reviewing the website. Person I spoke to said yes it's fine but don't rock up in your painters overalls essentially. I still went in without issue with ripped jeans and my lazy stubble look and no one said a word the old bar area was still as was but the back bit of bar other side of fireplace was a bit more laid up than I recalled as the norm.

As mentioned essentially still like they were previously especially if next to hotel accommodation as you'll be losing trade.

As for Toby Carveries the new one in Trowbridge Toby Carvery has a tiny bar area and given my mate likes carveries and I don't normally in every other one we've been in they don't mind you taking them in the bar area this one while taking pictures my friend had been directed to a table and while he was at the bar a waitress enquired about getting drinks etc. Still essentially pubs just focus on sending food out
    Last edited by bcfczuluarmy; 02-03-2018 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I still went in without issue with ripped jeans and my lazy stubble look and no one said a word.
    Blimey! That's formal evening wear for me!

I would delete all of these chain restaurants. I know I'm fighting a losing battle so I'll add ALL wine & cocktail bars. What about night clubs? Anywhere that charges an entrance fee after a certain time one or more days a week should go.