Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

More lovely Carlisle state-owned pubs stuff.

This time about the pubs they poshed up.

"2. Structural Improvements to Licensed Premises.—The shortage of labour in 1916-18 severely limited the rebuilding possible during the war. the houses chosen for earliest readaptation were those in which it was reasonable to believe that a trade in food could be developed. In addition to the "Gretna" and the "London," five other food taverns were opened in Carlisle in 1917-18, the "Pheasant," the "Irish Gate," the "Citadel," the "Albion," and the "Goliath." It should be emphasised that these reconstruction schemes did not increase the number of licensed premises; on the contrary, in two instances the improvement thus made permitted the closing of a neighbouring licensed house."
"The Control of the Drink Trade" by Longmans, Green & Co., London, 1919, pages 216 - 217.
You can't really argue with helping to improve the food option. Though, personally, I'd like to be free to slam down four or five double Islays with my half of temperance Mild.

"The reconstruction of the "Pheasant Inn," in Caldewgate, a working-class district, and opposite a biscuit factory where large numbers of girls were employed, gave the opportunity to provide a cookshop for "outdoor" trade. This has a separate entrance in a side street. A good business in "fetched food" was quickly secured. On the first floor, also with a separate entrance and no communication with the bar on the ground floor, a cafe, where no intoxicants are sold, was established; there is also a Rest Room for female workers."
"The Control of the Drink Trade" by Longmans, Green & Co., London, 1919, page 217.
There's always an underlying sexist tone in temperance tracts, fearing women actually enjoying a drink like their menfolk. Yes, let's keep the girls away from the temptation of drink and men.

Takeaway is so much snappier than fetched food, don't you think? Fetched sounds too much like vomitting to me.

"The "Irish Gate Tavern" in Annetwell Street, and the "Citadel" in English Street, have this in common, that each stands on a site formerly occupied by two public-houses; the "Irish Gate," in a working-class district, comprises a dining-room and a cookshop for the sale of "fetched food," with entrances apart from the liquor-bar; the "Citadel," near the station, includes a restaurant and an upstairs cafe, and does most of its business with customers of the commercial and professional classes. The "Albion," in Botchergate, has a dining-room on the first floor. the "Goliath," in Crown Street, one of the poorest parts of the city, has also been adapted for the supply of meals, and has a cookshop for an "outdoor" trade in food. The "Joiners' Arms," in Caldewgate, replaces two ramshackle public-houses which stood side by side."
"The Control of the Drink Trade" by Longmans, Green & Co., London, 1919, page 217.
The Irish Gate Tavern was created by knocking together the Black Bull and the Saracen’s Head. It was demolished in 1972, as was the whole one side of Annetwell Street, to make way for the Castelway, a bollocky inner-city dual carriageway.

The Citadel, 77 English Street, is no longer a pub. It's not even the tacky-looking Beatles-themed diner in the picture any more. It's now the White Water Lily Cafe. I'm sure the Board would be pleased. If you look closely, you can see the ghost of Citadel Retaurant above the first-floor windows.

The Goliath was apparently named after a locomotive on the Newcastle - Carlisle railway. It closed in 1938.

The Albion (45-47 Botchergate) is still going, though now under the name The Border Rambler. There's an excellent page about the pub on the State Management Story website. https://thestatemanagementstory.org/...gate-carlisle/

"PHEASANT INN Church Street; originally row of three houses of late 18th century date, now with extensive alterations; appears as The Pheasant in 1873 Directory."
http://www.carlisleshistory.co.uk/page38.htm

I thought he Joiners' Arms is currently the Crown & Thistle Inn. It's on Church Street and is obviously three houses knocked into one. But it isn't. As the great page on the State Management Story website explains, its name hasn't changed.

https://thestatemanagementstory.org/...reet-carlisle/

Looks loke a former beerhouse to me.

More...