Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opening times on pub pages

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I've noticed that sometimes a pub's hours aren't displayed yet present on the linked Facebook page. If I delete the FB link and remake it the hours automagically pop up. Is this expected behaviour? Is it possible that the pub pages pick up the FB data when the FB link is first added and then don't update subesquently unless forced? So if they never had the hours originally they don't get to Pubs Galore? And that the hours on PG age with respect to the hours on FB?
    Well spotted, I am aware of the problem, here's how it worked when I started it.
    1) A FB link is added, all of the info is checked in the background and opening times will be displayed if it finds them.
    2) For every FB link in the system (About 35,000 of them I think) they would be rechecked once every day and opening hours updated or added if there were none before.
    3) Opening hours are only displayed on PG if they have been rechecked within the last 24 hours to try to avoid out of date info.

Sadly since the whole Cambridge Analytica stuff earlier in the year Facebook have severely restricted access to data. So in the last 24 hours only around 500 pubs have been rechecked so opening times wont be displaying on the other 34,500.

I'm working on improving this as it is very frustrating but it is possible Facebook may remove my access to the data entirely, their processes are very unclear.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    their processes are very unclear.
    Understatement of the year when it comes to Facebook. I look forward to N Clegg's spin on things.

Thanks Dave for clarifying.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I've noticed that sometimes a pub's hours aren't displayed yet present on the linked Facebook page. If I delete the FB link and remake it the hours automagically pop up. Is this expected behaviour? Is it possible that the pub pages pick up the FB data when the FB link is first added and then don't update subesquently unless forced? So if they never had the hours originally they don't get to Pubs Galore? And that the hours on PG age with respect to the hours on FB?
    The number of pubs I've been to where those in charge don't abide by their closing times rather defeats the opening hours data: "Sorry mate. We've called last orders.", once heard at 9.30!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The number of pubs I've been to where those in charge don't abide by their closing times rather defeats the opening hours data: "Sorry mate. We've called last orders.", once heard at 9.30!
    If that happens in a pub chain and the opening hours are clearly displayed then it's worth complaining to head office. I did this years ago with a JDW that arbitrarily decided to shut at 22:00 on a bank holiday Monday. The person responsible was in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    If that happens in a pub chain and the opening hours are clearly displayed then it's worth complaining to head office. I did this years ago with a JDW that arbitrarily decided to shut at 22:00 on a bank holiday Monday. The person responsible was in big trouble.
    Quite right too.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

This too is maddening. Why do some staff think that bank holidays give cause for early closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    This too is maddening. Why do some staff think that bank holidays give cause for early closing?
    Under the old licencing laws it meant an extension in many places which is ridiculous as most people had to go to work the next day. Many micropubs don't open on a Monday but most do on a bank holiday albeit with Sunday hours but they can do what they like and many do! The nearest pub to me is not somewhere I go but you can never tell when it's going to be open. Whenever I pass it on the bus and it's open it invariably looks empty. I don't see how it can be making any money!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Under the old licencing laws it meant an extension in many places which is ridiculous as most people had to go to work the next day. Many micropubs don't open on a Monday but most do on a bank holiday albeit with Sunday hours but they can do what they like and many do! The nearest pub to me is not somewhere I go but you can never tell when it's going to be open. Whenever I pass it on the bus and it's open it invariably looks empty. I don't see how it can be making any money!
    There was one near me did just that, opened when felt like it, and was invariably empty when they felt like opening.
    Obviously never made any money & tenant went bust
    I drink to make others more interesting