Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Opening times on pub pages

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    888

    Default Opening times on pub pages

    Sat in The New Mill and noticed opening times feature on the page. How new is this and what magical work goes into it checked a couple of pubs I was in last weekend in Taunton and some have times and others don't. Assume it's harvested somehow rather than manually entered.

    Nice feature and if internet harvested could be more accurate than the what pub entries that most have fell foul of.

  2. #2
    On The Road To Somewhere Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    There abouts
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Dave mentioned it recently in the Brighton In Spring thread, the info comes from the pubs Facebook page, if there is no Facebook page then no times are displayed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  3. #3
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Fine if it's from pubs' official FB pages. But some pubs have random pages too - usually dating from the Facebook Places - where random people have contributed - I came across a pub recently which had three unofficial 'duplicate' pages as well as its own. If you're feeling pro-active you can report them to FB in favour of the correct page, though you'd thing the pub or whatever, itself would do that - especially when they get slagged off by food ranters on unofficial pages.

  4. #4
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    2,458

    Default Facebook link updates

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Fine if it's from pubs' official FB pages. But some pubs have random pages too - usually dating from the Facebook Places - where random people have contributed - I came across a pub recently which had three unofficial 'duplicate' pages as well as its own. If you're feeling pro-active you can report them to FB in favour of the correct page, though you'd thing the pub or whatever, itself would do that - especially when they get slagged off by food ranters on unofficial pages.
    If anybody gets redirected to an official Facebook page from an unofficial one linked on this site, then if they leave a post on That Doesn't Go There! then we can tidy-up the pub page details. Ditto for any missing Facebook links noted.

  5. #5
    Administrator Dave M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Glad you like the feature I've found the data to be pretty good on the whole. Although there are examples like this where the times have gone a bit wrong The Concorde

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Fine if it's from pubs' official FB pages. But some pubs have random pages too - usually dating from the Facebook Places - where random people have contributed - I came across a pub recently which had three unofficial 'duplicate' pages as well as its own. If you're feeling pro-active you can report them to FB in favour of the correct page, though you'd thing the pub or whatever, itself would do that - especially when they get slagged off by food ranters on unofficial pages.
    Yes you are quite right that there is some dodgy info on Facebook left over from the old Places stuff. The opening times only get shown where the link we have is reported as being a managed page, of course the page still might not be an official page as such but I would say the vast majority are.

    I've tried reporting duplicates to Facebook, one of which got corrected almost three years later and one got rejected for no apparent reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If anybody gets redirected to an official Facebook page from an unofficial one linked on this site.
    I do have a script that I run every three months or so to try to pick up on those. It usually corrects a couple of hundred.

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,877

    Default

    A pub's official Farcebook page is unlikely to be bettered for this sticky subject. There will still be problems with the one man band micropubs and my nearest pub which just opens when they feel like it, not that I would recommend it to anyone.

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Glad you like the feature I've found the data to be pretty good on the whole. Although there are examples like this where the times have gone a bit wrong The Concorde
    I assume this is because of people using either am and pm when referring to the hour 12 noon. As am means "before noon" and pm means "after noon", the hour 12 cannot be either am or pm and is just 12 noon.
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #8
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I assume this is because of people using either am and pm when referring to the hour 12 noon. As am means "before noon" and pm means "after noon", the hour 12 cannot be either am or pm and is just 12 noon.
    Conventionally, 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon but if it doesn't say then we're pretty much in the dark.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Conventionally, 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon but if it doesn't say then we're pretty much in the dark.
    For what it's worth, this from Wikipedia: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language has a usage note on this topic: "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight."

    ...or close at 11:59pm.
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2017, 05:24
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2017, 06:45
  3. a swift one - Changes to opening times at THE GROVE
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-07-2015, 06:02
  4. a swift one - Revised Opening Times for The Rat & Ratchet
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2015, 07:10
  5. Boxing Day (etc) opening times
    By Spinko in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-12-2012, 16:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •