Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening times on pub pages

This Space For Hire

Default Opening times on pub pages

Sat in The New Mill and noticed opening times feature on the page. How new is this and what magical work goes into it checked a couple of pubs I was in last weekend in Taunton and some have times and others don't. Assume it's harvested somehow rather than manually entered.

Nice feature and if internet harvested could be more accurate than the what pub entries that most have fell foul of.

Dave mentioned it recently in the Brighton In Spring thread, the info comes from the pubs Facebook page, if there is no Facebook page then no times are displayed.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Fine if it's from pubs' official FB pages. But some pubs have random pages too - usually dating from the Facebook Places - where random people have contributed - I came across a pub recently which had three unofficial 'duplicate' pages as well as its own. If you're feeling pro-active you can report them to FB in favour of the correct page, though you'd thing the pub or whatever, itself would do that - especially when they get slagged off by food ranters on unofficial pages.

Default Facebook link updates

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Fine if it's from pubs' official FB pages. But some pubs have random pages too - usually dating from the Facebook Places - where random people have contributed - I came across a pub recently which had three unofficial 'duplicate' pages as well as its own. If you're feeling pro-active you can report them to FB in favour of the correct page, though you'd thing the pub or whatever, itself would do that - especially when they get slagged off by food ranters on unofficial pages.
    If anybody gets redirected to an official Facebook page from an unofficial one linked on this site, then if they leave a post on That Doesn't Go There! then we can tidy-up the pub page details. Ditto for any missing Facebook links noted.

Glad you like the feature I've found the data to be pretty good on the whole. Although there are examples like this where the times have gone a bit wrong The Concorde

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Yes you are quite right that there is some dodgy info on Facebook left over from the old Places stuff. The opening times only get shown where the link we have is reported as being a managed page, of course the page still might not be an official page as such but I would say the vast majority are.

I've tried reporting duplicates to Facebook, one of which got corrected almost three years later and one got rejected for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If anybody gets redirected to an official Facebook page from an unofficial one linked on this site.
    I do have a script that I run every three months or so to try to pick up on those. It usually corrects a couple of hundred.

A pub's official Farcebook page is unlikely to be bettered for this sticky subject. There will still be problems with the one man band micropubs and my nearest pub which just opens when they feel like it, not that I would recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Glad you like the feature I've found the data to be pretty good on the whole. Although there are examples like this where the times have gone a bit wrong The Concorde
    I assume this is because of people using either am and pm when referring to the hour 12 noon. As am means "before noon" and pm means "after noon", the hour 12 cannot be either am or pm and is just 12 noon.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I assume this is because of people using either am and pm when referring to the hour 12 noon. As am means "before noon" and pm means "after noon", the hour 12 cannot be either am or pm and is just 12 noon.
    Conventionally, 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon but if it doesn't say then we're pretty much in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Conventionally, 12am is midnight and 12pm is noon but if it doesn't say then we're pretty much in the dark.
    For what it's worth, this from Wikipedia: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language has a usage note on this topic: "By convention, 12 AM denotes midnight and 12 PM denotes noon. Because of the potential for confusion, it is advisable to use 12 noon and 12 midnight."

...or close at 11:59pm.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I've noticed that sometimes a pub's hours aren't displayed yet present on the linked Facebook page. If I delete the FB link and remake it the hours automagically pop up. Is this expected behaviour? Is it possible that the pub pages pick up the FB data when the FB link is first added and then don't update subesquently unless forced? So if they never had the hours originally they don't get to Pubs Galore? And that the hours on PG age with respect to the hours on FB?