Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CAMRA Revitalisation Project

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm with the Pope on this one:http://protzonbeer.co.uk/comments/20...race-good-beer
    though I'm less than enthused by CAMRA internal politics.I recently rejoined CAMRA after about 20 years, and frankly not much has changed.
    Thanks for posting this up.
    I generally agree with this article and he makes a very good point about the real ale that is produced in very high volume and available nationally,often backed up with a lot of marketing spend but little brewing flair .If the only choice in a pub is bland real ale,I will often opt for some decent keg if it's available instead.CAMRA needs to bite the bullet and in some way call out low quality real ale.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 28-01-2018 at 22:55.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm with the Pope on this one:http://protzonbeer.co.uk/comments/20...race-good-beer
    though I'm less than enthused by CAMRA internal politics.I recently rejoined CAMRA after about 20 years, and frankly not much has changed.
    I agree that we should "Embrace" a good quality keg beer like I will embrace a good quality cheese or a good bottle of wine. This is quite different from when we had to "Campaign" for our Real Ale in the '70's to stop it vanishing from our pubs. Now that there is more cask ale about, we should be Campaigning for consistent top quality Real Ale. Drink the craft keg if you like it but lets stop pretending that there is nothing to campaign about to keep good cask ale. Craft keg is already safe as the young drinkers like it and it is not going to go off in three to five days. We are not going to get the young to join Camra and drink "the old man's drink" but it seems we have to show them we are trendy and not 'old gits' by selling craft keg at a beer festival of "The Campaign for Real Ale!" What is there to gain from this? Profit I suppose.
    I have not drank as much craft (keg?) as most people because I have not enjoyed what I have had. I might have been unlucky in my choices but what I have had has been too chilled for my palate and a little too gassy. Some has had bubbles rising like lager or lemonade. Some has taken 20 minutes to warm up before the flavour has come through before I can say "Yes, this has got more flavour than John Smiths!"
    Recently a landlord bought me a half of Goose IPA to try. This was the best that I have had as it was not too gassy or too cold. I could taste the fine flavour quite quickly. Then I thought to myself 'Wouldn't this taste brilliant in cask form!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I have not drank as much craft (keg?) as most people because I have not enjoyed what I have had. I might have been unlucky in my choices but what I have had has been too chilled for my palate and a little too gassy. Some has had bubbles rising like lager or lemonade. Some has taken 20 minutes to warm up before the flavour has come through before I can say "Yes, this has got more flavour than John Smiths!"
    Recently a landlord bought me a half of Goose IPA to try. This was the best that I have had as it was not too gassy or too cold. I could taste the fine flavour quite quickly. Then I thought to myself 'Wouldn't this taste brilliant in cask form!!
    My experience exactly. (Apart from being bought a half by the landlord, of course. That's just you.) I had a pint of Goose IPA recently and it had no discernible flavour at all. Why? Because it was full of gas and freezing cold. The Campaign for Real Ale is against this sort of beer. And so am I. If people want to drink this sort of thing, let them drink it. But Camra should not allow beers like this at real ale festivals and they shouldn't form any part of the campaigning purpose of the organisation.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Much of the discussion tends to be appropriate for town and city centre pubs with enough footfall to justify a choice of styles. And these tend to be the sort of pubs that get reviewed often here, and appear in the GBG and local guides and Camra branch magazines. But wander into suburbia and on to the villages - and by the way many hotel bars - and it's a different story. you very often find a single pump in use often badged for Pride or Doombar or some GK abomination. You wonder why they bother, certainly early in the week. Should you be brave enough you may well get the first pint to be served in 18 hours. The efforts required to shift the air from the line tend to give things away. I've long stuck to Wifebeater on such occassions, often to the derision of my companions. Their derision tends to evaporate about half way down their pints, if not verging on the Sarsons's then at best flat and lifeless.

Many such pubs will never shift enough cask to make it viable, and I suspect it's only there by area manager edict to 'give people the choice'.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 29-01-2018 at 10:59. Reason: sticky fingers

This!
    I've been converted to trying keg beer after a very unpleasant experience in Brewdog's early days of running bars and have thoroughly enjoyed most of it. There isn't any doubt that there is some very impressive beer served on keg but, I agree, I can't help wondering how much better it would be on cask.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    But wander into suburbia and on to the villages - and by the way many hotel bars - and it's a different story. you very often find a single pump in use often badged for Pride or Doombar or some GK abomination. You wonder why they bother, certainly early in the week. Should you be brave enough you may well get the first pint to be served in 18 hours. The efforts required to shift the air from the line tend to give things away.

Many such pubs will never shift enough cask to make it viable, and I suspect it's only there by area manager edict to 'give people the choice'.
    The problem with these places is they start off with a poor beer like Doombore or GK. They probably are not given a choice by beer ties etc. They might stand a better chance if offered a decent cask ale. Even then, if sales are still low, this is where the cask breather would improve things or maybe a "key/cask" beer.

I believe for every pint of Craft Keg I drink, there is a pint and a half of Cask going off! (price differential or the relative speed I can drink it!).

Cask may start to vanish when us 'old gits' are not around anymore but I don't intend to help it vanish sooner!

Cask may start to vanish when us 'old gits' are not around anymore but I don't intend to help it vanish sooner!
    I make you right here, however if confronted with flat Doombore or similar with no other cask choice I am happy to take the keg route i.e Stella , Guinness or better still a decent craft offering, though this is not likely out in the sticks.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

The problem with all this is that it's impossible to define what is good and what is bad. I was told by a bloke in a random Northern pub that Wainwright was his favourite beer. I know a bloke in the Chingford Spoons who thinks that Spitfire is wonderful. I think they're both wrong and the beers are rubbish! There are keg beers that shine and cask beers that shine. It's no good pronouncing Wainwright and Spitfire as rubbish just because I say so or even worse some CAMRA committee.
    Even on these forums there is disagreement over how good Titanic Plum Porter is. I don't think I've ever had more than one single pint at a time, If it was a cider it wouldn't even be classed as a "Real Cider"!
    My biggest objection to "craft" keg is the generally over inflated prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My biggest objection to "craft" keg is the generally over inflated prices.
    Me too, but sometimes whatever the price its worth a 1/3.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Me too, but sometimes whatever the price its worth a 1/3.
    And I dont mean one and thrupence.
    -W.C.Fields