Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CAMRA Revitalisation Project

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    This guy says some of the same things but gets a lot of it so very wrong, but it illustrates one facet of the debate.
    Thanks for the link. I thought the idea that carbon dioxide used with cask breathers would dissolve in the beer and make it fizzy had been properly debunked? [Is this what you mean about him getting a lot of it wrong?] I'm sure I've seen a thread in Discourse suggesting that Camra were wrong to exclude pubs using a cask breather and that in fact in blind tastings beers from barrels kept using a cask breather came out better than ones kept under the recommended system.
    Come On You Hatters!

At that time the regional and family brewers were still sticking with traditional processes and ingredients, they then started cost cutting with inferior ingredients and shortening the brewing time. The loss of the Burton Unions and the wandering about the country of Draught Bass brewing is one symptom of this, over the same period the loss of traditional cellar skills has caused the extended use of brewery conditioning and the production of almost bright beer by many breweries. It is ironic that the hipster generation seek full flavour beers and denigrate the Boring Brown Bitters when they were full flavoured until "the accountants" buggered it all up.
    You're right. This process is still going on of course, with nearly all the taste removed from all beers brewed under the Wolverhampton & Dudley banner (with the possible exception of Ringwood?) including Pedigree as already mentioned, Brakspear Bitter, Banks's Mild and now, horror of horrors, Jennings Sneck Lifter. This fine old beer (first brewed in 1993 if memory serves!) has lost its silky, malty texture and its well-balanced hoppiness, and now tastes only of caramel. God rot all (brewery) accountants.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

I think Camra realise that a lot of the keg beer is pretty good and will let it into their fests.They will not actively promote it but agree its now the time to make changes .Doombar is an example of real ale that in most cases is not secondary fermented in the cask and therefore not really cask ale by Camra,s definition.

If only some beers did taste as good as they did in the 1970s, I actually used to like the heavy sulphury taste of Pedigree then.
    I remember that sulphury taste well and yes it definitely has gone. You used to get it to a lesser degree in Ind Coope Burton Ale. I don't have a complete downer on BBBs (apart from the one you can instantly guess) as there are some excellent ones from the new kids on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You're right. This process is still going on of course, with nearly all the taste removed from all beers brewed under the Wolverhampton & Dudley banner (with the possible exception of Ringwood?)
    I'm not sure about Ringworm beers, they did heavily water down Old Thumper. I quite like Banks's Sunbeam and Hobgoblin Gold.
    Brakspear is a very interesting case as even in the 1970s their bitter never tasted as good in London as their tied houses. I suspect that the fact it relied heavily on dry hopping was significant. The Special and Old were more resilient although it was said that the Old Ale was just Special with added caramel. Let's throw in one from Oop North. I only once had a pint of Landlord that tasted like it did in their tied houses and that was in a pub in Peterborough. I've yet to see any resemblance between today's beer and that of old as I normally swerve it as it's overpriced for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't have a complete downer on BBBs (apart from the one you can instantly guess)
    I had an amazingly good half of that one here.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'm with the Pope on this one:http://protzonbeer.co.uk/comments/20...race-good-beer
    though I'm less than enthused by CAMRA internal politics.I recently rejoined CAMRA after about 20 years, and frankly not much has changed.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm with the Pope on this one:http://protzonbeer.co.uk/comments/20...race-good-beer
    though I'm less than enthused by CAMRA internal politics.I recently rejoined CAMRA after about 20 years, and frankly not much has changed.
    Me too, I am a member but I think CAMRA is on the long and winding road to obscurity,becoming less relevant as each year passes.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Being in favour of "good beer" sounds superficially attractive. The problem comes when you try to define what is good. Protz mentions that Beavertown beers "are not filtered, fined or pasteurised and they’re served by light gas pressure, nothing like the fizzed-up abominations of yesteryear." Try writing that into the articles of the campaign for real ale. If I walk into a bar selling only keg beers, am I going to be ok drinking Beavertown and Cloudwater, but need to steer clear of Camden and Meantime? And what about Brewdog?

Last year I visited St Andrews and went in the St Andrews Brewery tap. The beer was cold and gassy and indistinguishable from Watneys Red Barrel, or for a more contemporaneous analogy, as cold and gassy as any bog standard Scottish 80/- on keg. I'm sure the brewers at St Andrews Brewery think they are producing a classy, quality drink. As the guy in the pub said to me, this is how his customers expect the beer to be served; and they apparently don't mind paying £5.70 a pint for it.

Well, not me.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Being in favour of "good beer" sounds superficially attractive. The problem comes when you try to define what is good. Protz mentions that Beavertown beers "are not filtered, fined or pasteurised and they’re served by light gas pressure, nothing like the fizzed-up abominations of yesteryear.".
    Personally, I find Beavertown beers pretty dull. But if they are deemed as genius, who am I to argue?