Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Crawls?

What's Tamworth like for drinking? I have never tried the pubs there. In fact, its been a while since I've been there full stop. I hear grim things about Tamworth. Are they true?

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    What's Tamworth like for drinking? I have never tried the pubs there. In fact, its been a while since I've been there full stop. I hear grim things about Tamworth. Are they true?
    Well you could say "grim" cos it is quite true..

However.. you could visit..

The Globe Inn (grade listed) two real ales
    Sir Robert Peel two real ales
    Old Stone Cross two real ales
    White Lion two real ales
    Three Tuns 3 real ales
    The Bolebridge (JDW) 8 real ales

and finally my home pub.. The Silk Kite (JDW) 8 real ales but normally 3 to 4 real ales.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Good evening Mr Ven,

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I'm not sure I would bother with Bennett's and The Old Fox doesn't float my boat these days but each to their own.

Tap and Spile, Canalside Cafe and Pennyblacks are all very close together if you get around the canal area
    I actually have a soft spot for Bennett's. I have always had a top pint of Hobgoblin whenever I go in there. My wife and I always go to the Panto at the Hippodrome on New Year's Eve and we go into the Old Fox before and after the performances. I don't usually go regularly, but on the occasions I do go, I find the beer good and service friendly.

I confess I enjoyed the beer in Pennyblacks, but it just doesn't feel like a pub. I don't feel comfortable in there. I haven't been in the Tap and Spile in some 10 years and I am not familiar with the Canalside Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Well you could say "grim" cos it is quite true..

However.. you could visit..

The Globe Inn (grade listed) two real ales
    Sir Robert Peel two real ales
    Old Stone Cross two real ales
    White Lion two real ales
    Three Tuns 3 real ales
    The Bolebridge (JDW) 8 real ales

and finally my home pub.. The Silk Kite (JDW) 8 real ales but normally 3 to 4 real ales.
    Thankyou for your recommendations!

Thankyou for your recommendations!
    No problem at all, fella. All pubs is easy walking distance from each other.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Here's a quick question:

The Wellington in the City Centre and the Anchor in Digbeth both serve multiple real ales.

But, are they really as good as their reputations?

In Digbeth, if time was short, I would happily miss out the Anchor and spend time in the White Swan just down the road. I find it a much friendlier, more comfortable pub, even though it has much less choice.

If I was to choose a multiple ale selling pub to spend an afternoon in, I would vote for neither the Wellington or the Anchor, but catch the bus into Walsall and settle down for a few hours in the Black Country Arms which is, in my opinion, much more comfortable, friendlier, and cheaper!

Here's a quick question:

The Wellington in the City Centre and the Anchor in Digbeth both serve multiple real ales.

In Digbeth, if time was short, I would happily miss out the Anchor and spend time in the White Swan just down the road. I find it a much friendlier, more comfortable pub, even though it has much less choice.

If I was to choose a multiple ale selling pub to spend an afternoon in, I would vote for neither the Wellington or the Anchor, but catch the bus into Walsall and settle down for a few hours in the Black Country Arms which is, in my opinion, much more comfortable, friendlier, and cheaper!
    May I ask you where do you hail from?

Good evening to you to. 'owm ya gooin?

I think I have a hang-up about pubs with high ceilings - they lose some atmosphere / conviviality, unless you're in a decent sized group. Last time I went in Bennett's I thought it needed some maintenance.

Most people seem to like the Old Joint Stock but I've never felt comfortable in there, despite being amongst the ranks of the lunchtime suit wearers. I've never settled in the Old Fox either - I last went about 6 weeks ago.

I don't tend to do the contemporary places very often so I know what you mean about Pennyblacks.

Canalside Cafe is next door to the Tap and Spile, on the canal-side. It feels like a cafe and it's very small inside - last week they were selling Kelham Island beers. If the weather's OK it's a good place to sit outside and watch people go by along the canal. It's in the GBG and it's quirky but it's not the kind of place you would stay for several beers.

I like places like the Digbeth pubs mentioned and the Bull - they have a more local feel to them. I prefer that type of place.
    Waes hael!

Here's a quick question:

I think the Wellington trades on choice but sometimes it doesn't have a good range between A and E (pale and dark) - they sometimes end up with too much of some but not the other - the Black Country Ales are usually on though. There are much better big Victorian pub buildings.

I prefer the White Swan although they only offer Marston's/Banks's/Jennings. The Anchor has more variety but is not quite as nice inside so I'd go along with your assessment.

I should use the Black Country Arms more often (so should many Walsall people) because we'd be sorry if it didn't succeed.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    May I ask you where do you hail from?
    I currently reside in Sutton Coldfield. Sutton really has only one 'proper' pub - the Duke. The Station is quite famous locally, and the beer is fine. But its not my kind of pub. The pub I spend most time in 'cause its easy for me to get to is the Queslett. Its an Ember Inn, but the service and beer quality is top notch and I can always find a little nook to settle in for those couple of hours away from the missus!