Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Worst Pub Of The Year 2017

Default Worst Pub Of The Year 2017

I'll kick this off with a brace of Spoons at Birmingham's NEC, this one and this one. They are both expensive (even for "proper" West Midlands pubs), have a rubbish choice of beers and if they were High Street JDWs would have received the Score Of Shame. In the unlikely event that I ever returned to the NEC I wouldn't bother with either, they are both rubbish and I was glad that I was able to make a hasty retreat to Wolverhampton and the Great Western.
    Visiting these validated my decision not to even think about going to any airport JDWs.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 05-01-2018 at 22:58.

This Space For Hire

I can think of any number of pubs which are worse than the NEC's JDW's. Just step inside a Hungry Horse. Or a Whacky Warehouse.

To be fair airside JDWs aren't bad for what they are - far better than the grim Traveller's Fare style venues of yesteryear - and - unless you're the sort who gets to the airport hours early - you only ever get to use them for a quick one because you got through security quicker than you thought you might.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 06-01-2018 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I can think of any number of pubs which are worse than the NEC's JDW's. Just step inside a Hungry Horse. Or a Whacky Warehouse.
    I don't believe I've ever been in a Hungry Horse pub and have never even heard of Whacky Warehouse! It's probably just as well as a load of Score Of Shame ratings wouldn't look good. As for airports, I've never been to one or flown anywhere. I'm going to Ireland this year on boats.
    I've passed by a few Popworld places and they really look like the ultimate pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't believe I've ever been in a Hungry Horse pub
    They are generally as bad as the name suggests. Beer quality is invariably average, but I certainly wouldn't give the food to my horses - or indeed my dogs - regardless of how hungry they were.

and have never even heard of Whacky Warehouse!
    Nor have I, but it sounds dreadful.

a load of Score Of Shame ratings
    I did that with a clutch of awful Irish/Lounge/Giro-day type bars in the Ruislip/Northwood/Harrow area. Not a chain, more an infection.

I've passed by a few Popworld places and they really look like the ultimate pits.
    They are. You have to try them though to realise how good other chains are in comparison.

But it takes individuality to be truly bad. Ignoring The Bowlplex , which isn't really a pub, my contender for 2017's lowpoint (which has now closed) is Mr Pickwick .
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Speaking of which, this was my worst effort last year.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post

I did that with a clutch of awful Irish/Lounge/Giro-day type bars in the Ruislip/Northwood/Harrow area. Not a chain, more an infection.
    Those sort of places are all over outer NW London and metroland. The housing estates were built with restrictive covenants that meant new pubs couldn't be built to add to the huge suburban barns many of which have now gone. I'm not sure what triggered the appearance of these outlets, maybe people spotted that the covenant doesn't prevent them converting existing buildings.

I have been really lucky this year, I've been to some really good pubs. However there are some pubs that you wander into, and wander straight out of again because they are sp awful. There have been a few of those this year! I can't really name them, because we didn't stay long enough to review them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I can't really name them, because we didn't stay long enough to review them properly.
    Probably the best way!!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I have been really lucky this year, I've been to some really good pubs. However there are some pubs that you wander into, and wander straight out of again because they are sp awful. There have been a few of those this year! I can't really name them, because we didn't stay long enough to review them properly.
    I've walked out of a few which suffer Pub Annoyance #777 The Curse of the Sunday Roast. Some of them may well be perfectly good pubs during the week, but are unusable on a Sunday.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 07-01-2018 at 09:40.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Garricks Head

You don't expect to find the winner of this dubious award in historic Bath,but this is what can happen to a pub in a tourist trap.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson