Visit the Shut up about Barclay Perkins site

Remember how I keep telling that there's almost nothing new in the world of beer? Here's some more proof. It's anotherr 19th-century sighting of Golden Ale. Well, Golden Bitter Ale.

But that's not the only reason for me to post this paricular advertisement. It's one of the earliest examples I can think of where there's an explicitly stated difference between the colour of Bitter and Mild. I'm still trying to track down exactly when Mild started going dark. Sometime around 1890-1900 is about as precise as I can get.

Lincolnshire Free Press - Tuesday 15 October 1889, page 1.

Joseph Wyles doesn't seem to have been a great success. Accoding to "A Century of British Brewers plus plus" (by Norman Barber , 2012, page 86) the brewery kicked off in 1889, the same year as this advert. But in 1897 it went into liquidation. There was a retart the following year, followed by a second bankruptcy in 1901. The company and its 12 tied houses were sold and were eventually merged with Soames & Co of Spalding and the brewery closed.

The 1880s and 1890s were some of the best years ever for British brewing. Most breweries were making good profits. Going bust was quite an achievement.

More...