Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New pub visits 2018

Default New pub visits 2018

Here we go again.

Good luck to all with their targets / challenges. I will stick to same as usual - 200 new pubs.

I am a salmon !!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I will be pleased to get to 150,but if I push myself and got to 180,that would mean hitting a 1800 review total.

For 2018 I have extended my boat licence to include the Environment Agency waterways which means new pub visits all the way on the Upper Thames from Oxford to Lechlade and then lots more unvisited and/or unreviewed pubs on the Nene,Fens and on the Great Ouse down to Bedford.Throw in a few PuG crawls,and 150 seems quite plausible.Not only ticking off pubs but also some extremities of the inland waterway network.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    For 2018 I have extended my boat licence to include the Environment Agency waterways:
    Being a total landlubber I don't really get this so would you like to elaborate?

I don't really bother too much with this thread but I'm using it to note that I started the year on 1802 reviews. Not all pubs I review on here are new but most are so at least I'll have some sort of figure. Having visited most JDWs I'm expecting to be in the Slow Lane this year but would like to reach 2000 reviews. Now that Southern Railway have reinstated advance tickets I'd like to get to the Harvey's pubs I've not yet been to and the Black Country Ales ones. Another target will be micropubs which finally now seem to be expanding as quickly as I thought they might. I'll take the dodgy opening hours on the chin!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Being a total landlubber I don't really get this so would you like to elaborate?
    I have a licence for the Canal & River Trust waterways,which cover around 2,000 miles of the inland waterway network.However CRT are not the only navigation authority ,and the Environment Agency manage several river navigations totalling 650 miles (such as The Thames,Medway,Nene,Great Ouse) and you have to puchase a seperate navigation certificate from them for these rivers.EA short term visitor permits are good for visits of a few days,but I have paid for a "Gold Licence" which covers both CRT and EA waterways for the whole of 2018 and intend to get my monies worth !

There are a miriad of other navigation authorities in the UK some charging fees (River Wey ,National Trust),(Basingstoke Canal,Surrey & Hampshire County Councils),(River Cam Conservators in Cambridge)(Broads Authority) while other navigation authorities dont charge anything for leisure craft (Tidal Thames below Teddington,PLA) ,(Tidal Trent below Gainsborough ,AB Ports ),(Middle Level Commissioners),(Witham Navigable Drains ).

There are plans for CRT to absorb the EA navigations ,this should happen in this parliament but the question of what existing licences will cover once the waterways have been combined has yet to be consulted upon.

This is a rather dry subject,hope I've cast some light on it.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 02-01-2018 at 09:32.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I have a licence for the Canal & River Trust waterways,which cover around 2,000 miles of the inland waterway network.However CRT are not the only navigation authority ,and the Environment Agency manage several river navigations totalling 650 miles (such as The Thames,Medway,Nene,Great Ouse) and you have to puchase a seperate navigation certificate from them for these rivers.EA short term visitor permits are good for visits of a few days,but I have paid for a "Gold Licence" which covers both CRT and EA waterways for the whole of 2018 and intend to get my monies worth !

There are a miriad of other navigation authorities in the UK some charging fees (River Wey ,National Trust),(Basingstoke Canal,Surrey & Hampshire County Councils),(River Cam Conservators in Cambridge)(Broads Authority) while other navigation authorities dont charge anything for leisure craft (Tidal Thames below Teddington,PLA) ,(Tidal Trent below Gainsborough ,AB Ports ),(Middle Level Commissioners),(Witham Navigable Drains ).

There are plans for CRT to absorb the EA navigations ,this should happen in this parliament but the question of what existing licences will cover once the waterways have been combined has yet to be consulted upon.

This is a rather dry subject,hope I've cast some light on it.
    Thanks for that lengthy explanation, I think I get the general idea.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

This is a rather dry subject,
    British Waterways? A dry subject..?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't really bother too much with this thread but I'm using it to note that I started the year on 1802 reviews. Not all pubs I review on here are new but most are so at least I'll have some sort of figure. Having visited most JDWs I'm expecting to be in the Slow Lane this year but would like to reach 2000 reviews. Now that Southern Railway have reinstated advance tickets I'd like to get to the Harvey's pubs I've not yet been to and the Black Country Ales ones. Another target will be micropubs which finally now seem to be expanding as quickly as I thought they might. I'll take the dodgy opening hours on the chin!
    How many of the Black Country ales pubs have you done? I really like them as a chain and they seem to be growing all the time. Not sure if you are aware but they have put out a real ale trail. You can pick up a collector card and the aim is to visit 30 of their pubs by the end of March and get your card stamped. Quite an undertaking for a rugby shirt but you may be up for it!

I am a salmon !!

Decent start with 7 new pubs around Stetchford and Acocks Green.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    How many of the Black Country ales pubs have you done? I really like them as a chain and they seem to be growing all the time. Not sure if you are aware but they have put out a real ale trail. You can pick up a collector card and the aim is to visit 30 of their pubs by the end of March and get your card stamped. Quite an undertaking for a rugby shirt but you may be up for it!
    Only 10 so far, I saw their ale trail poster in Stafford, but I've got most of my rail tickets booked up until the end of March so won't attempt it. The only one I wasn't so keen on was the Leicester King's Head. When I went to the Leicester Salmon it was a Banks's pub! The Lych Gate in Wolverhampton always seems to have an interesting selection and is handy for that Slaters bar.