Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

Aqualung my friend, don't you start away uneasy. You poor old sod, you see it's only me. I presume that you don't personally resemble the sleeve of the famous Jethro Tull album, or you'd have fallen victim to this policy yourself before now.
    My appearance is probably much worse than that, I'm glad you didn't quote the opening line! It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained. The quickest I've ever downed a pint is around 4 seconds and that was a long time ago. Surely if they ring the beer up before serving it and then ask for the money I don't see how they can do a runner. I was in the Stourbridge outlet once and the barman gave me the pint when he was suddenly called upstairs. It took him ages to return and I could easily have left. I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained.
    Maybe I'm being too sensitive!

I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.
    I agree a lot of the staff are useless, hence why I don't think they're doing this of their own initiative. And the manager of The Sheaf Island (JD Wetherspoon) confirmed to my mate that it is company policy.
    Come On You Hatters!

My appearance is probably much worse than that, I'm glad you didn't quote the opening line! It's happened to me lots of times but I've never really complained. The quickest I've ever downed a pint is around 4 seconds and that was a long time ago. Surely if they ring the beer up before serving it and then ask for the money I don't see how they can do a runner. I was in the Stourbridge outlet once and the barman gave me the pint when he was suddenly called upstairs. It took him ages to return and I could easily have left. I don't buy the argument about people doing a runner although I did once see someone try to snatch a load of notes from the till in the Drum. I reckon the real reason is useless staff.
    It is hardly worth doing a "runner" for £1.99! If I intended doing one (which I don't, I am far too slow anyway!), I would do it in one of those craft bars that charge £14 per pint.

Back to the thread: Wishing everyone a Hoppy New Beer.

Happy new year to you all.

Sorry about being largely absent from the site for a while. After the server move last August/September I had to embark on a project that is taking me rather longer than I hoped to get done. My best guess as to the next time I can devote serious time to the site is probably March/April.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Happy New Year to everyone, but I'm boycotting 'Spoons after being asked to pay for my beer before they pour it one too many times.
    I can't work out any consistency when it comes to the Spoons policy on that. I've been asked to pay first a number of times.

The funniest incident was going to the bar in Cardiff with my brother in law where we were ordering separately. I ordered first, was served and then paid. He ordered with me stood still talking to him and was asked to pay first. Made no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I ordered first, was served and then paid. He ordered with me stood still talking to him and was asked to pay first. Made no sense at all.
    Probably bloody favouritism again. "What I wouldn't give to be spat at in the face." (W. Shakespeare)
    Come On You Hatters!