Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 13 June 2010)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    As I'm on call then in Masham and stuck on Black Sheep/Theakstons at the weekend, I think I can nominate my BOTW already, drunk in the wonderful Nags Head in Reading... I knew on the first mouthful, Triple fff Moondance.

I would also like to nominate "Cleavage of the Week" as the young barmaid in the Horse and Jockey in Reading, as they say she made a happy man feel very old .

Next week's may be Batham's MILD so watch out in the Black Country..... I'm on the way.
    Good beer + good cleavage , check out the Bursting Out pumpclip http://sixbellsbrewery.co.uk/
    Last edited by Oggwyn Trench; 10-06-2010 at 20:22. Reason: sober
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Good beer + good cleavage , check out the Bursting Out pumpclip http://sixbellsbrewery.co.uk/
    I've seen those somewhere before

Bishops Castle is very firmly on my list as I remember it for having two of the very few surviving home brew pubs before the micro brewery craze took off (Three Tuns is the other in the village).

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Some great beers this week, it will take something special over the weekend to top the list. Best four of the bunch have been Hydes 1863, Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie, Brewdog 5am Saint and Ilkley Black.

Incidentally, has anyone else here tried many of the Humpty Dumpty Brewery’s beers? I’d never even heard of them until last week, but all of their beers I've had have been exceptionally good. Despite their silly name.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The Zulu Blonde from the 'spoons festival was on last night in the Wibbas Down Inn. Surely this isn't a remnant of the JDWfestival, it was in good shape and selling well. Anyone heard news, perhaps extended for the World Cup? The original notes stated that the brewer visited and brewed the batch here at Marstons. Has he stayed on?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The Zulu Blonde ... Anyone heard news, perhaps extended for the World Cup?
    Yes, I vaguely recall they were bringing the brewer back for the World Cup, but brewing it elsewhere ...maybe Everards?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Some great beers this week, it will take something special over the weekend to top the list. Best four of the bunch have been Hydes 1863, Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie, Brewdog 5am Saint and Ilkley Black.

Incidentally, has anyone else here tried many of the Humpty Dumpty Brewery’s beers? I’d never even heard of them until last week, but all of their beers I've had have been exceptionally good. Despite their silly name.
    Yes I've had a few of them, mainly at beer festivals. They often follow a railway theme as the brewery was originally at the Railway Tavern in Reedham. Anyone want a Tender Behind?
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The Zulu Blonde from the 'spoons festival was on last night in the Wibbas Down Inn. Surely this isn't a remnant of the JDWfestival, it was in good shape and selling well. Anyone heard news, perhaps extended for the World Cup? The original notes stated that the brewer visited and brewed the batch here at Marstons. Has he stayed on?
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yes, I vaguely recall they were bringing the brewer back for the World Cup, but brewing it elsewhere ...maybe Everards?
    The following is taken from the Men Brewing Badly thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Wetherspoons are fighting back in their own particular way though. They’ve bought the Zululand Brewery guy over from South Africa and he’ll be brewing the Zulu Blonde that featured at the last festival during the World Cup. He’ll be brewing at Everards this time rather than Marstons. Something to look forward to

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Best four of the bunch have been Hydes 1863, Humpty Dumpty Little Sharpie, Brewdog 5am Saint and Ilkley Black.
    Can't comment on the others EG, but love Ilkley Black. My BOTW a couple of weeks ago. Fabulous stuff.

Turning out to be a good week, this week. Didn't think anything would topple Rooster's 'YPA', but had Mallinson's 'Castle Hill Premium' yesterday and that blew me away.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

[QUOTE=oldboots;14617]... I think I can nominate my BOTW already, drunk in the wonderful Nags Head in Reading... I knew on the first mouthful, Triple fff Moondance.

QUOTE]

Always a favourite of mine, but sadly (and surprisingly) topped this week by a particularly good pint of Well's Bombardier (my BOTW nomination) in the Joiners Arms in Stafford (can't put in a link as the pub wasn't on here, so I've added it).

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    ..... a particularly good pint of Well's Bombardier......
    Now there's some words I'd never expect to read, not in this context anyway

that must be some skilled cellarman they have there and deserving of our respect.