Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Turning Of The Screw.

Default The Turning Of The Screw.

In the last few days I have heard of further steps being taken that will affect drinkers.
    The first is that some commission has recommended lowering the alcohol level from 80 whatsits down to 50 whatsits. Sorry but I cannot see the point other than criminalize those people who stick to the present limit which has been pronounced as OK for many years now. Those who choose to drink too much and drive will not be discouraged by a lowering of the limit because they already disregard the present one.
    The second affects everyone. All patients will be quizzed as to their drinking habits by GPs and Hospital staff. The results will collected and stored for use by NICE ( and anyone else the Government decides can pay for the info.) No doubt this information will be twisted to support whatever policy the government of the day wishes to pursue.
    This bit of news would seem a bit late to me. I have been quizzed both at Hospital and by my GP using the same proforma questions. The GPs dont bother anymore as I asked for my records to be marked as not being amenable to providing information to Govt Depts. OK my paranoia rating went up but what the heck. If I visit my doctor about a sceptic ingrowing toenail I will not answer a lengthy interogation as to my drinking habits. They can do that should they pick me out of the gutter drunk. Anyway it is a waste of good drinking time.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    In the last few days I have heard of further steps being taken that will affect drinkers.
    The first is that some commission has recommended lowering the alcohol level from 80 whatsits down to 50 whatsits. Sorry but I cannot see the point other than criminalize those people who stick to the present limit which has been pronounced as OK for many years now. Those who choose to drink too much and drive will not be discouraged by a lowering of the limit because they already disregard the present one.
    I think the first Part is being pushed for by The European community's too bring it in line with most European community's where its already 50 Mg.
    Just be thank full you don't work on my job on the Railway its 30 Mg and no alcohol at least 8 hrs before duty and not more then 5 units in 12 Hrs before and I'm only a Ticket Collector.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I cannot agree more on the drink drive limit. The limit has worked for decades and as you say a reduction will only affect drivers who previously were cautious. I personally am quite happy and feel perfectly safe to have one pint of standard beer at a pub, say with a meal and then drive. A reduction such as this would mean I'd be very wary and may not bother. Not a good scenario for the out of the way pubs off transport links.

I would however agree to a lower limit for younger/new drivers who statistically are more likely to have accidents. There should also be more attention on driving under the influence of drugs.

As for Doctors, I keep as far away as possible.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    I think the first Part is being pushed for by The European community's too bring it in line with most European community's where its already 50 Mg.
    Just be thank full you don't work on my job on the Railway its 30 Mg and no alcohol at least 8 hrs before duty and not more then 5 units in 12 Hrs before and I'm only a Ticket Collector.
    Some building sites have very similar rules, with the 8 hour guideline being common. 30Mg I assume is considered to be virtually nil alcohol, allowing for some natural production/unwitting intake eg fruit or the use of products like mouthwash. Zero is unworkable.
    Do the railway do random testing then Alesonly or if not how is that enforced?

Yes random testing Breathalyzer & Urine Test they just come up and pull you in no warnings.
    Ive seen several People sacked in recent years for Drugs and Alcohol one because he had a spiff whilst on holiday another clammed he only had a few glasses of wine the evening before so its just not worth taking a chance. I only drink when I'm off next day.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

My stepson is a contractor for Network Rail. Designs signaling installations. He only drinks on a Friday or Saturday nights and is pissed after about four pints so rarely does he drink that much. I can see more industries bringing in such rules under the guise of elf and safety.I know a number of self employed White Van Drivers and they cannot be safe at 6am the next morning.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Our local plod have the habit of stopping everyone entering the local industrial estates and breathalising them , especially between 5.30 and 7am , i try not to drink to much in the week
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We have a zero tolerance in force for kitchen staff - from head chef to KP. Not worth the risk. The Times did an article a few months back on how, although a higher limit, we actually have one of the lowest drink drive problems in Europe. The theory being that the vast majority can have a pint and it not affect their driving too much. Make the limit under 1 pint and people will just ignore it as it's a stupid rule.

The sooner we're out of Europe the better, and I'm not talking about football
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    My stepson is a contractor for Network Rail. Designs signaling installations. He only drinks on a Friday or Saturday nights and is pissed after about four pints so rarely does he drink that much.
    Signalling is considered safety critical and there is a zero tolerence on anyone working in that field. I actually help run the signallimg licencing scheme (if your stepson has an IRSE licence then it would have passed across my desk at some stage!). We have a general no drinking rule in our office which is more in line with the industry policy than anything that is actually enfiorced. One of the managers from an agency I use to assess people for their licence had a 60th birthday last year and they weren't even allowed to bring a bottle of champers onto the premises to present it to him, let alone open and drink it.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Don't remind me, it was safety that stopped the tot in the Navy, seems facts spoke for themselves, many more accidents after tot time than before. As one who can verify that a tot can affect judgment I guess it was the correct call

Regarding lowering limits, I can only echo what has been said, ordinary drinkers will avoid driving to food pubs, the binge ones will continue, bit like using mobile phones, white van man & school run ignore it