Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beer battered fish - can anyone tell?

This Space For Hire

Remember that heart-sinking note that went up around this time of year: "We are now frying new potatoes" - with the unwritten second sentence : "So don't complain if they're not very nice."

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Biggest disappointment of our recent Scarborough trip was coming out of the excellent North Riding pub after 4 Sunday dinner time pints of Rudgate Dark Ruby and going into the cafe over the road to order fish, chips & peas for the 4 of us only to be served with one of Iceland (the shop not the country) finest fish, frozen chips and canned mushy peas.

We could have had better/fresher fish had we stayed back in Littleborough, perhaps 80 miles from the North Sea not 500yds.
    It sounds like you were unbelievably unlucky. I bet that cafe survives on 'one time' tourist trade, I'm sure the locals will give it a wide berth. Maybe you ought to go to Filey instead:

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/358456-I...staurant-Filey

Scroll down for the review. Was there on Thursday and can confirm the fish are huge!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I remember i went to Whitby with my sister for one day out.. we came across world famous The Magpie Cafe by fishing port. It was best fish and chips I ever had in my life and still do. Taste of very tender cod is just out of this world..

Even great Ricky Stein himself said The Magpie Cafe is the greatest fish and chip in the world. I can see why...

Only problem is MASSIVE queue... Took me good 45 mins!

J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I remember i went to Whitby with my sister for one day out.. we came across world famous The Magpie Cafe by fishing port. It was best fish and chips I ever had in my life and still do...Only problem is MASSIVE queue... Took me good 45 mins!
    Yeah, the queue's the main reason I've never been , but it always makes any national paper's Top 10.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Even great Ricky Stein himself said The Magpie Cafe is the greatest fish and chip in the world. I can see why...
    Really?!

Well I had been thinking about trying Rick Steins Fish & Chip shop when I'm in Padstow next week. I wont bother now though!

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    It sounds like you were unbelievably unlucky. I bet that cafe survives on 'one time' tourist trade, I'm sure the locals will give it a wide berth.
    Absolutely. We should have walked down to the roundabout at the other end of North Marine Road to our tried and trusted cafe.

I notice from your link, presuming it is your review, you live in Wakefield. When we lived in Ossett the best F&C i have ever had came from the fish shop facing the Redoubt and at the side of a Tetley house which got changed to some bandwagon jumping themed brewery owned real ale pub.

A few scoops in the Redoubt and then a few more in the Beer Engine when Bob had and home with F&C. Happy days.

Crossste the 18st correspondent.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

You know when your in trouble, when the batter tastes better than the beer they serve

I didnt think the Magpie was anything special to be honest
    MILD:

I notice from your link, presuming it is your review, you live in Wakefield. When we lived in Ossett the best F&C i have ever had came from the fish shop facing the Redoubt and at the side of a Tetley house which got changed to some bandwagon jumping themed brewery owned real ale pub.

A few scoops in the Redoubt and then a few more in the Beer Engine when Bob had and home with F&C. Happy days.
    I've just twigged. Did you have the name of 'kerching3' on the 'other site'?

St Michael's F&C is still doing brisk business opposite The Redoubt, but the pub itself appears to be going downhill, unfortunately. The Tetley pub you referred to is The Waterloo and in its Festival Ale House heyday was one of Wakey's better boozers. A shame it's now a chavvy lager barn. I was also a regular at the Beer Engine when Bob Hunter had it and of course there was nowhere else like it at the time. It's reverted back to being The White Hart again, but is a shadow of its former self. Still at least Bob is brewing some great beers these days. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I've just twigged. Did you have the name of 'kerching3' on the 'other site'?

St Michael's F&C is still doing brisk business opposite The Redoubt, but the pub itself appears to be going downhill, unfortunately. The Tetley pub you referred to is The Waterloo and in its Festival Ale House heyday was one of Wakey's better boozers. A shame it's now a chavvy lager barn. I was also a regular at the Beer Engine when Bob Hunter had it and of course there was nowhere else like it at the time. It's reverted back to being The White Hart again, but is a shadow of its former self. Still at least Bob is brewing some great beers these days. Cheers.
    Yeh. Bit of a mistake that one. Around the time of joining the other forum i was new to all things internet related and having joined another non beer related forum by entering my password and usernames in the wrong boxes i decided to stick with them that way round on other forums to save confusion for myself. Wished i hadn,t i felt it gave the impression i was some kind of flash git. It was a nickname some Geordie lads gave to me when they came to work in the area and made my pub their local. Use to have some good banter with them but if they were getting the better of me apparently i would say "you keep making the till go kerching you can call me what you want". As there could be a dozen of them it helped trade during the week. Excellent lads and good fun.

If you are/were part of Wakefield,s CAMRA i,m sure you would have been in our pub when we had it. We were in the GBG for the 7 years we were in the pub,90-97, plus we had a few meeting and a couple of pub of the season award nights. Quite a few of the members often called in for a few scoops on their travels and became quite regular (as most people did after drinking my beer, before anyone else says it), in fact one night myself and couple of members got a regal b*****king off plod for sampling one of Thwaites seasonal brews into the early hours. If your real name is Kev or Duncan? you could be one of em.

If you are/were part of Wakefield,s CAMRA i,m sure you would have been in our pub when we had it. We were in the GBG for the 7 years we were in the pub,90-97

If your real name is Kev or Duncan? you could be one of em.
    I am a CAMRA member now, but wasn't at the time. Not really drunk much in Ossett over the years, so I'm not sure I would have called into your pub. Out of interest, what was it called? (If you're uncomfortable about revealing the name here PM me, as I'd be curious to know). I'm definitely not Kev or Duncan.