Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer battered fish - can anyone tell?

This Space For Hire

Default Beer battered fish - can anyone tell?

This only springs to mind because I spotted yesterday, wait for it, Peroni battered fish. Lots of pubs make a thing of this, in Marstons pubs it is inevitably, allegedly, Pedigree battered in the the factory where it's prepared, and so on.

Is it really beer battered? Can anyone tell? And anyway fish from a decent chippy with no chance of any beer involvement (in preparation, not in the consumer) is always miles better than anything a pub can serve up.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    This only springs to mind because I spotted yesterday, wait for it, Peroni battered fish. Lots of pubs make a thing of this, in Marstons pubs it is inevitably, allegedly, Pedigree battered in the the factory where it's prepared, and so on.

Is it really beer battered? Can anyone tell? And anyway fish from a decent chippy with no chance of any beer involvement (in preparation, not in the consumer) is always miles better than anything a pub can serve up.
    Good question.. Being ex-cook in pub, there is 3 ways to tell if it is beer battered..

1) Beer Battered fish.. tends to be slightly darker batter colour than normal cod (without beer)

2) It is much crunchier than ordinary ones.

3) Sometimes you get hint of "bitterness" taste in beer battered fish.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Ive never noticed any difference in Pubs Ive tried. But lucky where I live theres two award winning Chip shops that are very good and I would sooner get my Fish & Chips in them as I think its much better quality and value for money. Most Pubs Ive tried serve a small bit of Frozen Fish and just a couple of Oven Chips so I don't bother now I go too the chippy on the way home.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I can recall a few occasions when the cook has come into the bar and pulled off the ale for the batter. At one pub in Tenby we were given a choice of ales. There is a difference but I am blowed if I can put it into words.
    I have had extremes of both good and bad battered fish and chips in pubs , restaurants, cafes and chip shops, so I could not recommend the best ever. Often you return to a place only to be disappointed by their latest efforts. The thin fillets are often over done and the batter like shrapnel. Batter can be thick and undercooked leaving that slime coating on the contents.
    Very good Fish and Chips , preferably Cod or Haddock, are so very difficult to find.

P.S. The best drink with fish and chips is a mug of tea.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

I'm pretty fortunate in having a very good chippy nearby that does an excellent piece of fish. The beer batter thing in pubs I regard as a bit of a gimmick, and I agree not many pubs can oust the chippy when it comes to proper fish and chips. The only problem for me down south is that you can't get a decent pie anywhere, certainly not a proper Northern meat and potato.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The only problem for me down south is that you can't get a decent pie...
    ...or gravy! Only just starting to notice the occasional (southern) presence of mushy peas.

On the beer batter thing, isn't a gassy beer supposed to lighten the batter in the same way that carbonated water is recommended for tempura batter?

Agree that very good chippies are few & far between, it's still usually the sustenance of choice (& pocket) if bothering with solids on an away-day.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

They do mushy peas in my local chippy but as yet I haven't persuaded them to start doing gravy. Oh for a Hollands M&P pie, or even one of their steak puddings, with chips, mushies and loads of gravy. Salt and vinegar on the gravy compulsory.

On the note of the beer lightening the batter, when I've eaten fish in a pub I generally have found the batter to be overly crispy and darker, but this of course could be due to portions being pre-cooked and kept warm in a low oven. Either that or frozen junk.

As good chippies are sadly a rarity, perhaps Conrad you might want to think about......well maybe not!

Not only do I come across beer battered fish, but as I work not far from Bray and the establishments of Heston Blumenthal, every decent restaurant and food pub in the area has to serve it with 'Thrice cooked chips'. And there is one very noticeable difference between these and ordinary chips........ about £3.......
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Before reading the last post I had snacked on a small , healthy, meatless salad and a small whole grain roll moistened with a little Flora......

NOW I WANT A PIE. MUSHY PEAS, CHIPS AND GRAVY.........AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

All my good intentions gone at a mere mention of A PIE.

There is no hope for Arwkrite.........A Fat Bas888d for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    They do mushy peas in my local chippy but as yet I haven't persuaded them to start doing gravy. Oh for a Hollands M&P pie, or even one of their steak puddings, with chips, mushies and loads of gravy. Salt and vinegar on the gravy compulsory.

On the note of the beer lightening the batter, when I've eaten fish in a pub I generally have found the batter to be overly crispy and darker, but this of course could be due to portions being pre-cooked and kept warm in a low oven. Either that or frozen junk.

As good chippies are sadly a rarity, perhaps Conrad you might want to think about......well maybe not!
    Yes the Chip Shop I use at Tally Ho Corner is good and its right facing the Wetherspoons which is handy. They do Mushy Peas, Pease Pudding, Spam Fritters, Gravy, Baked Beans, and a lovely Large bit of Place or Haddock along with Pukka Pies & Sausage Rolls and all the other usual chip shop stuff like Chicken Etc. I must agree theres not one Pub I Know that can do Cod Chips & Mushy Peas like the Chippy.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)