Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: According Welsh "Y" or "Yr" the same status as English "The"

Hybrid View

Default According Welsh "Y" or "Yr" the same status as English "The"

Just thought I'd move this thread from the rather obscure http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/forum...7-Name-changes sub-forum, where probably only me, Richard and Aqualung have seen it so far: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...9920#post89920

In brief (and missing out the bits about serenity now) this is about whether Dave has the time or inclination to do something about listing Welsh pubs called Yr Hen Lew Du as Hen Lew Du, Yr in the same way as the equivalent English The Old Black Lion would be Old Black Lion, The. And by the same token, Ye Olde Black Lion would be Olde Black Lion, Ye. (This would be on postal town pages and areas, of course, not the main summary of the pub details.)

Patient acceptance...
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 28-10-2017 at 09:39. Reason: Updated link to original thread
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Just thought I'd move this thread from the rather obscure http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/forum...7-Name-changes sub-forum, where probably only me, Richard and Aqualung have seen it so far: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...9920#post89920

In brief (and missing out the bits about serenity now) this is about whether Dave has the time or inclination to do something about listing Welsh pubs called Yr Hen Lew Du as Hen Lew Du, Yr in the same way as the equivalent English The Old Black Lion would be Old Black Lion, The. And by the same token, Ye Olde Black Lion would be Olde Black Lion, Ye. (This would be on postal town pages and areas, of course, not the main summary of the pub details.)

Patient acceptance...
    I believe Dave has done "Y" but not "Yr". I didn't look at your search for these closely enough. More importantly he doesn't appear to have done "Ye" which has much wider implications. He may have a reason for not having done it such as being too traumatic a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I believe Dave has done "Y" but not "Yr". I didn't look at your search for these closely enough. More importantly he doesn't appear to have done "Ye" which has much wider implications. He may have a reason for not having done it such as being too traumatic a change.
    I would have thought that if it's possible to do it for Y, it should be a cinch to do it for Yr and Ye as well. Probably just hasn't got around to it yet.
    Come On You Hatters!

I would have thought that if it's possible to do it for Y, it should be a cinch to do it for Yr and Ye as well. Probably just hasn't got around to it yet.
    My "traumatic" comment was directed more at the users. I guess the change is easy but in the case of "Ye" there is the prospect of having people wondering where their local Ye Olde Soak or whatever had gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My "traumatic" comment was directed more at the users. I guess the change is easy but in the case of "Ye" there is the prospect of having people wondering where their local Ye Olde Soak or whatever had gone.
    Ye Olde Soak might be a good name for a micropub!

I'll send Dave a PM as I forgot, when we were in Stockport last Friday, to check with him if he's seen this thread.
    Come On You Hatters!

Ye Olde Soak might be a good name for a micropub!

It was more autobiographical than that.