Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I'd be interested to know if any of the reviewers out there would be interested in just leaving a rating for pubs that they don't want to write about. As a subtle warning to others about a particularly grim pub for example?
    I don't understand this "don't want to write about" concept. If you feel something about a pub, to the extent that you give it 1/10 or 10/10, surely you have some words that will explain why you feel that way. If you don't, why leave a rating?

I can understand better why some of our regular reviewers never use the rating system. There could be many reasons for not leaving a rating (the system is imperfect; their words should stand on their own; one person's 4 is another person's 7; etc).

There's nothing subtle about a rating without a review. How can we tell that it's not just a mistake, a slur of the keyboard? Anyway, it's the grim ones that are easy to write about...
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I don't understand this "don't want to write about" concept. If you feel something about a pub, to the extent that you give it 1/10 or 10/10, surely you have some words that will explain why you feel that way. If you don't, why leave a rating?
    It could be lack of confidence about producing the review, possibly due to poor spelling, grammar, punctuation, eyesight, computer literacy or whatever. Some people may just get put off after seeing one of John Bonser's or PSM's more epic reviews.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 17-10-2017 at 21:59.

No idea about this person's motives, but there is no context with a rating without a review, and a big risk that the 'grudge merchants' who inhabit the darker reaches of certain other sites could (and, in many cases, probably would) start to spread infection of their trolling to a site that has carefully avoided such activities so far.

As below, I suggest that the first move is to politely explain to the person concerned that it is helpful to everybody to leave a review (however brief or extensive) to support the rating given.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    No idea about this person's motives, but there is no context with a rating without a review, and a big risk that the 'grudge merchants' who inhabit the darker reaches of certain other sites could (and, in many cases, probably would) start to spread infection of their trolling to a site that has carefully avoided such activities so far.

As below, I suggest that the first move is to politely explain to the person concerned that it is helpful to everybody to leave a review (however brief or extensive) to support the rating given.
    agree

Definitely a concern which was why I would aim to not make it a prominent feature, more along the lines of something one might use as a personal record.

So perhaps all that happens is there is a note on the pub page to say that Callum Jordan has visited the pub, but doesn't display the rating publicly and doesn't include it in the average rating. Callum himself would be able to see how he rated it.

... and once again I agree, I hadn't considered the possibility of trolling scores from the Dark Side which incidentally is still down.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It could be lack of confidence about producing the review, possibly due to poor spelling, grammar, punctuation, eyesight, computer literacy or whatever. Some people may just get put off after seeing one of John Bonser's or PSM's more epic reviews.
    Good point, especially if English is not their first language.
    How about something on Trip Advisor lines, a selection tick box?
    I know there is a pub details area but it is not readily visible when entering a review, perhaps if the first part, somehow, was minimal score box, was your visit enjoyable, good pint etc, have to keep it short or it would p*55 everyone off
    I drink to make others more interesting

He's at it again. I've just hidden another 10 in Liverpool!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    He's at it again. I've just hidden another 10 in Liverpool!
    The right call, as far as I'm concerned.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Mr Jordan has posted 3 more blank reviews.