Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank Reviews

Default Blank Reviews

Someone called Callum Jordan has added a load of reviews of the Chester area with just a score. I was under the impression that the software wouldn't accept a blank review. Like me, he didn't like the Old Harkers Arms and I'd love to know why!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Someone called Callum Jordan has added a load of reviews of the Chester area with just a score. I was under the impression that the software wouldn't accept a blank review. Like me, he didn't like the Old Harkers Arms and I'd love to know why!
    He's put a full stop in most of them, which seems to qualify it.

Dave, I think this needs an amendment!

I've hidden them all for now.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 17-10-2017 at 19:10.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Hmm, I've seen this done in odd one off cases but never like this.

Does anyone have bright ideas for dealing with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

Ban him.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

On Trip Advisor your review has to be a minimum of 100 characters. Seems reasonable to me.

Banning him wouldn't stop someone else coming along and doing the same thing.

Don't allow reviews that don't have any alphabetic characters? This could be made more elaborate to exclude single or few letter reviews. The trouble is going too far may exclude valid reviews such as Closed 2017.

I've felt like doing something similar myself when faced with a stack of pedestrian JDWs!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    On Trip Advisor your review has to be a minimum of 100 characters. Seems reasonable to me.
    Worth a try, but will that just result in a review of 100 full stops?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Banning him wouldn't stop someone else coming along and doing the same thing.

Don't allow reviews that don't have any alphabetic characters? This could be made more elaborate to exclude single or few letter reviews. The trouble is going too far may exclude valid reviews such as Closed 2017.

I've felt like doing something similar myself when faced with a stack of pedestrian JDWs!
    Yes, we could certainly make it a bit more sophisticated. Character limit and requirement for actual letters. But that may just lead to reviews of "This is a rating only as I don't want to write a review".

This may be an unpopular thought but I wonder if it may be time to revisit the ratings without a review discussion.

To be clear I'm not thinking of the bad old days of BITE where pubs would suddenly get dozens of ratings from anonymous sources to take them to the front page leaderboard.

This guy wants to make his feelings known about a bunch of pubs on a scale of 1 to 10, but doesn't feel comfortable writing a review. Perhaps if he were allowed to leave ratings, which appear in a section separate from the reviews but are still fully audited so we can see what's going on then maybe that is a good thing. Particularly if we can then find a way of trying to nag users to leave a review. Anyone who uses an Android phone may have seen Google doing similar tricks and Facebook also do the same. For example maybe he gets a notification next time he logs in along the lines of "Aqualung noticed your rating of The Old Harkers Arms and would love to read your thoughts one the pub, why not leave a review".

I'd be interested to know if any of the reviewers out there would be interested in just leaving a rating for pubs that they don't want to write about. As a subtle warning to others about a particularly grim pub for example?

This Space For Hire

Email him and thank him for his contributions thus far and suggest it would be nice to have a rough feel for the place via a review no matter how brief etc. No need to get the pitchforks out just yet.

This may be an unpopular thought but I wonder if it may be time to revisit the ratings without a review discussion.

To be clear I'm not thinking of the bad old days of BITE where pubs would suddenly get dozens of ratings from anonymous sources to take them to the front page leaderboard.
    I missed out on that debate as I only started here in 2012. Surely the fact there is no table of best pubs would deter all that BITE scoring nonsense?
    It's the only foolproof way of avoiding blank reviews.

This guy wants to make his feelings known about a bunch of pubs on a scale of 1 to 10, but doesn't feel comfortable writing a review. Perhaps if he were allowed to leave ratings, which appear in a section separate from the reviews but are still fully audited so we can see what's going on then maybe that is a good thing. Particularly if we can then find a way of trying to nag users to leave a review. Anyone who uses an Android phone may have seen Google doing similar tricks and Facebook also do the same. For example maybe he gets a notification next time he logs in along the lines of "Aqualung noticed your rating of The Old Harkers Arms and would love to read your thoughts one the pub, why not leave a review".

I think you've hit the nail on the head there as I can't imagine he is being malicious. He's just posted a load of scores for local pubs he knows.

I'd be interested to know if any of the reviewers out there would be interested in just leaving a rating for pubs that they don't want to write about. As a subtle warning to others about a particularly grim pub for example?
    It's not for me as if I think it's grim I'd rather say so!

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Email him and thank him for his contributions thus far and suggest it would be nice to have a rough feel for the place via a review no matter how brief etc. No need to get the pitchforks out just yet.
    I agree.