Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Meirion Vaults is now Y Meirion

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default Meirion Vaults is now Y Meirion

    This is now just called Y Meirion. I would recommend just naming it Meirion so it doesn't appear under Y.

  2. #2
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This is now just called Y Meirion. I would recommend just naming it Meirion so it doesn't appear under Y.
    Although far from being a Welsh person (or even having any more than the most superficial knowledge of the language), I'm not sure I fully agree with you here. Perhaps the answer is for Dave to change things so that "Y" is treated in the same way as "The"? Ditto, perhaps, for the 'Olde English' "Ye"?

  3. #3
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Although far from being a Welsh person (or even having any more than the most superficial knowledge of the language), I'm not sure I fully agree with you here. Perhaps the answer is for Dave to change things so that "Y" is treated in the same way as "The"? Ditto, perhaps, for the 'Olde English' "Ye"?
    I'm sure you're right, thinking long term. But I'm not sure how far up anyone's to do list this sort of request is likely to get. Pubs called "Ye Olde Whatever" have been getting my goat for some time, because coming across a pub which in real life is called The Golden Lion, but which is unlisted on Pubs Galore, and then finding it (eventually) under Ye Olde Golden Lion, is intensely frustrating.

    Or, as my meditation trainer put it to me last week, it's something I must learn to greet with patient acceptance.

    Grrr.
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #4
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm sure you're right, thinking long term. But I'm not sure how far up anyone's to do list this sort of request is likely to get. Pubs called "Ye Olde Whatever" have been getting my goat for some time, because coming across a pub which in real life is called The Golden Lion, but which is unlisted on Pubs Galore, and then finding it (eventually) under Ye Olde Golden Lion, is intensely frustrating.

    Or, as my meditation trainer put it to me last week, it's something I must learn to greet with patient acceptance.

    Grrr.
    Try bananas - the potassium is good for calming things (or not), avoiding goats (or not), or working out how new the 'Olde Golden Lion's are (or not) - or possibly potatoes (or not), avocados (or not)... grrr indeed (or not)!

  5. #5
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Try bananas - the potassium is good for calming things (or not), avoiding goats (or not), or working out how new the 'Olde Golden Lion's are (or not) - or possibly potatoes (or not), avocados (or not)... grrr indeed (or not)!
    I'll just stick with grrr.
    Come On You Hatters!

  6. #6
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Although far from being a Welsh person (or even having any more than the most superficial knowledge of the language), I'm not sure I fully agree with you here. Perhaps the answer is for Dave to change things so that "Y" is treated in the same way as "The"? Ditto, perhaps, for the 'Olde English' "Ye"?
    I wish I'd seen this as it should really include Yr which is used when the next word begins with a vowel. As I can't think of any examples it probably doesn't matter.
    I did add Y Manod in Blaenau Ffestiniog as Manod, Y so that would need changing. I also think it should have Manod as an associated area as it's right on the border of the two. I've made the change.

  7. #7
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I wish I'd seen this as it should really include Yr which is used when the next word begins with a vowel. As I can't think of any examples it probably doesn't matter.
    I did add Y Manod in Blaenau Ffestiniog as Manod, Y so that would need changing. I also think it should have Manod as an associated area as it's right on the border of the two. I've made the change.
    Heh heh! I've changed it to Y Manod. If that doesn't get Dave to stir his stumps, nothing will.

    Plenty of examples with Yr - try doing a search like this: https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=Yr I also enjoyed reading (again) your discussion of the intricacies of Welsh in your review of The Old Black Lion in Aberystwyth.

    Patient acceptance...

    Or do you remember this from Seinfeld: Serenity Now!

    Hoochie mama!
    Come On You Hatters!

  8. #8
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Patient acceptance...
    ... and breath!

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Heh heh! I've changed it to Y Manod. If that doesn't get Dave to stir his stumps, nothing will.

    Plenty of examples with Yr - try doing a search like this: https://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=Yr I also enjoyed reading (again) your discussion of the intricacies of Welsh in your review of The Old Black Lion in Aberystwyth.

    Patient acceptance...

    Or do you remember this from Seinfeld: Serenity Now!

    Hoochie mama!
    I'd noticed that Dave had already made the change so I guess it was something easily done. Your search only highlights four pubs with Yr as the second word which doesn't matter. I hope that measn there aren't any with the first word being Yr.
    Re the Black Lion it was down to the late Rhys Jones who refused to accept my suggestion that Lew was incorrect. Obviously he didn't explain why which is how I ended up asking the local student barman at the Ty Mawr in Llanbedr.

    As for all this stuff about bananas it's just sad fake news as just the thought of eating them sends me into an incandescent rage.

  10. #10
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Your search only highlights four pubs with Yr as the second word which doesn't matter. I hope that measn there aren't any with the first word being Yr.
    Your computer must be doing the search slightly differently. I got Yr Hen Lew Du (as discussed), Yr Hen Orsaf (JD Wetherspoon), Yr Hen Dderwen (JD Wetherspoon), Yr Ieuan Ap Iago (JD Wetherspoon), Yr Afr (The Goat) and Yr Hen Vic.
    Come On You Hatters!

Similar Threads

  1. Bakers Vaults
    By AlanH in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2014, 09:28
  2. Wine Vaults, Faversham
    By ETA in forum Name changes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 08:56
  3. Old Wine Vaults, Faversham
    By rpadam in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 13:05
  4. The Wine Vaults
    By Eddie86 in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 12:18
  5. Minerva Vaults
    By Frothy in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-01-2009, 15:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •