Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pub facilities and data geekery

Default Pub facilities and data geekery

I've split some posts out from the bar billiards thread as it seemed like a nice idea to not let that one drift off topic completely.

We started discussing the pub facilities stuff in a more general way from this point....

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Reviving this thread has made me think - Dave, can you set-up another facilities filler that picks out 'bar billiard' for us (me!) to tick off?
    Do you mean a tool for checking reviews for a mention of 'bar billiards' like I did for real ales? Something like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/ch...?pagefacid=107 (there are only 20 that need checking)
    Last edited by Dave M; 02-10-2015 at 20:01. Reason: clarify the split from another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Do you mean a tool for checking reviews for a mention of 'bar billiards' like I did for real ales? Something like http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/tools/ch...?pagefacid=107 (there are only 20 that need checking)
    That's the one!

All done

Might be worth rolling out some others? I know I'm bang up-to-date reviews-wise (until tomorrow!) and am happy to do some clicking-through on categories...

This Space For Hire

Does a current check of facilities get undertaken as I've revisited bar billiards pubs to find they've been removed...

Also the potential to search for Cavery and add them as a facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Might be worth rolling out some others? I know I'm bang up-to-date reviews-wise (until tomorrow!) and am happy to do some clicking-through on categories...
    Feel free to stab at any of these, if there are others you'd prefer then I can try to set them up.

Pool table
    Dogs
    Karaoke
    Quiz night
    Beer Garden
    Pinball

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Does a current check of facilities get undertaken as I've revisited bar billiards pubs to find they've been removed...
    Not as such, the hope is that in those situations you'd just switch it to no. This tool only checks pubs where it is currently set to unknown.

Also the potential to search for Cavery and add them as a facility?
    It is certainly something I've considered, may get added at some point in the future.

This Space For Hire

I had gone down in numbers from 107 and found the other searches. The idea of 3900+ pool table references fills me with dread...

On a side note I got 2016 GBG Sat Nav POI file in varying formats do you want to make a http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-feat...eek-free-pint/ style link for those to assist none Camra members to pubs in the guide or is that some sort of copyright issue?

I had gone down in numbers from 107 and found the other searches. The idea of 3900+ pool table references fills me with dread...

On a side note I got 2016 GBG Sat Nav POI file in varying formats do you want to make a http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pub-feat...eek-free-pint/ style link for those to assist none Camra members to pubs in the guide or is that some sort of copyright issue?
    Is there a danger of having just too many options?

assist none Camra members to pubs in the guide or is that some sort of copyright issue?
    Potential copyright issue I'm afraid. We contacted CAMRA a few years ago to ask permission to highlight pubs that were GBG listed, sadly they never got back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Is there a danger of having just too many options?
    Definitely. I do keep wondering how best to keep things useful whilst not overwhelming.

Potential copyright issue I'm afraid. We contacted CAMRA a few years ago to ask permission to highlight pubs that were GBG listed, sadly they never got back to us.
    I know for a fact that I and other people try and mention in the review that it is GBG 201n listed. Surely that's good enough? Like the CAMRA discount I sometimes or even often forget.

This Space For Hire

Definitely. I do keep wondering how best to keep things useful whilst not overwhelming.
    Why worry about gbg pubs .The latest Cask report published this week found only a small percentage of drinkers care if its GBG listed and even fewer care about Cask Marque.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Why worry about gbg pubs .The latest Cask report published this week found only a small percentage of drinkers care if its GBG listed and even fewer care about Cask Marque.
    To me Cask Marque has always meant ,approach with caution and more often than not expect cold unexciting beer.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields