Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Brighton Spring 2018

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Some thoughts, mostly in response to Will's post number 52 (and I know there have been subsequent comments). I'm not planning to join the crawl, so make of my comments what you will. I could meet after work, though, if the group is still going (and reasonably coherent).

The most obvious thought is that you have a three pubs out on a bit of a limb from the rest. The first is Brighton Beer Dispensary. I can see why this is on the list, but it does take you a fair way to the west. I see a return via The Lion and Lobster has been suggested, but that's taking you further west still. Perhaps The Royal Sovereign would be an alternative? You could take a chance on The Tempest or Fortune of War on Kings Road Arches (or just walk on by).

I would, in any case, recommend that you try to avoid heading directly along Western Road and North Street, as these are the main shopping roads, as well as the route of all the cross-town buses. On a Friday, it's going to be pretty busy!

On the other side of town, you've picked both The Southover and The Hanover. These are Indigo Pubs - a good local operator, don't get me wrong. Each of their pubs tries to come up with a slightly different offering, but there are enough similarities for you to possibly be thinking "isn't this quite a lot like the last pub we were in?". Not only that, but Southover Street itself is a steep old climb which some of the group may not appreciate. I'd be inclined to stick to the lower slopes of Hanover on a crawl of this length. If you are visiting The Geese Have Gone Over The Water, some of you might also like to drop in on The Greys across the road which is currently under threat of closure. It may be gone by the time you get there but it could also be a "last chance to see". If you're then heading to (or from) The Admiral (a new one on me, so thanks for the tip-off), both The Village and The Reservoir look interesting, with a bit of money spent recently.

Lastly, as far as the crawl goes, is the consideration of where to finish - the last few pubs at least, since it'll be a Friday night, with Easter approaching and the last day of University term, it's likely to be busy. The North Laine is pretty big and does attract quite a crowd (which is good), but also gets pretty loud inside (which is not so good). The Lord Nelson (a Harveys pub, with about 6 from the range on the pumps) usually has a fair amount of room inside, and The Prince Albert a few doors up, not so much.

A couple more you might consider: The Independent (more Queen's Park than Hanover) and Brighton Bierhaus, on the edge of Kemp Town.

For those staying a little longer, you might want to venture a little further afield. If it's micropubs you're after, there's The Watchmakers in Hove (a superior example of the genre, up there with The Brooksteed and One In The Wood) and The Old Star in Shoreham (just following the standard formula in my view). Also in Shoreham is The Wellington, run by Rob Jones formerly of Dark Star Brewery (but still no brewing on site, I believe). The Westbourne between Hove and Portslade always seems to get good reviews. In Portslade itself, The Railway Inn (note name change) has had a recent makeover and, back in Brighton and near to the station (though uphill!), The West Hill has also changed hands not so long ago (with 'big plans' from the new owners).

Out east, the only one that springs to mind is The Bevy, notable as being the first community-run estate pub. Fortunately, there's a bus stop outside, so no need to be wandering the local streets late at night.

Talking of which, local buses are mostly fairly high-quality and high-frequency though also high-fare, without a bit of forward planning. Local trains are by Southern.

Hope you enjoy your day - as I said quite a few paragraphs back, I may be able to join you for the evening.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Some thoughts, mostly in response to Will's post number 52 (and I know there have been subsequent comments). I'm not planning to join the crawl, so make of my comments what you will. I could meet after work, though, if the group is still going (and reasonably coherent).

The most obvious thought is that you have a three pubs out on a bit of a limb from the rest. The first is Brighton Beer Dispensary. I can see why this is on the list, but it does take you a fair way to the west. I see a return via The Lion and Lobster has been suggested, but that's taking you further west still. Perhaps The Royal Sovereign would be an alternative? You could take a chance on The Tempest or Fortune of War on Kings Road Arches (or just walk on by).

I would, in any case, recommend that you try to avoid heading directly along Western Road and North Street, as these are the main shopping roads, as well as the route of all the cross-town buses. On a Friday, it's going to be pretty busy!

On the other side of town, you've picked both The Southover and The Hanover. These are Indigo Pubs - a good local operator, don't get me wrong. Each of their pubs tries to come up with a slightly different offering, but there are enough similarities for you to possibly be thinking "isn't this quite a lot like the last pub we were in?". Not only that, but Southover Street itself is a steep old climb which some of the group may not appreciate. I'd be inclined to stick to the lower slopes of Hanover on a crawl of this length. If you are visiting The Geese Have Gone Over The Water, some of you might also like to drop in on The Greys across the road which is currently under threat of closure. It may be gone by the time you get there but it could also be a "last chance to see". If you're then heading to (or from) The Admiral (a new one on me, so thanks for the tip-off), both The Village and The Reservoir look interesting, with a bit of money spent recently.

Lastly, as far as the crawl goes, is the consideration of where to finish - the last few pubs at least, since it'll be a Friday night, with Easter approaching and the last day of University term, it's likely to be busy. The North Laine is pretty big and does attract quite a crowd (which is good), but also gets pretty loud inside (which is not so good). The Lord Nelson (a Harveys pub, with about 6 from the range on the pumps) usually has a fair amount of room inside, and The Prince Albert a few doors up, not so much.

A couple more you might consider: The Independent (more Queen's Park than Hanover) and Brighton Bierhaus, on the edge of Kemp Town.

For those staying a little longer, you might want to venture a little further afield. If it's micropubs you're after, there's The Watchmakers in Hove (a superior example of the genre, up there with The Brooksteed and One In The Wood) and The Old Star in Shoreham (just following the standard formula in my view). Also in Shoreham is The Wellington, run by Rob Jones formerly of Dark Star Brewery (but still no brewing on site, I believe). The Westbourne between Hove and Portslade always seems to get good reviews. In Portslade itself, The Railway Inn (note name change) has had a recent makeover and, back in Brighton and near to the station (though uphill!), The West Hill has also changed hands not so long ago (with 'big plans' from the new owners).

Out east, the only one that springs to mind is The Bevy, notable as being the first community-run estate pub. Fortunately, there's a bus stop outside, so no need to be wandering the local streets late at night.

Talking of which, local buses are mostly fairly high-quality and high-frequency though also high-fare, without a bit of forward planning. Local trains are by Southern.

Hope you enjoy your day - as I said quite a few paragraphs back, I may be able to join you for the evening.
    Thanks for your thoughts Paul, always helpful to get some up to date info, hope to bump into you early evening.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Paul, always helpful to get some up to date info, hope to bump into you early evening.
    I second this ,Paul's information is very helpful,which prompts two thoughts from me.

Firstly his though that the crawl should stick to the lower slopes of Hanover also chime with concerns about the length of the crawl.

Secondly,we will all be departing Brighton at different times and several may be staying overnight.It would be good to have a selection of pubs at the end of the crawl which are near the station.

There are so many interesting pubs in Brighton maybe we are faced with too much choice.So how about this route ?

Core pubs ----- (wild cards)
    1. Evening Star *
    2. Quadrant (Earth & Stars)
    3. Craft Beer Co.
    4. Brighton Beer Dispencery
    5 Royal Sovereign ( Lion & Lobster)
    6. Victory (Cricketers,Fiddlers Elbow)
    7. Waggon & Horses
    8. North Laine
    9. Geese (Sir Charles Napier,Southover,Independent,Hanover)
    10. Admiral (Village,Resevoir)
    11. Mitre
    12. Basketmakers * (Great Eastern *)
    12. Lord Nelson * ( Foundry *)
    13. Prince Albert*

* not far from the station.

Does this help ?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 19-02-2018 at 17:31.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I second this ,Paul's information is very helpful,which prompts two thoughts from me.

Firstly his though that the crawl should stick to the lower slopes of Hanover also chime with concerns about the length of the crawl.

Secondly,we will all be departing Brighton at different times and several may be staying overnight.It would be good to have a selection of pubs at the end of the crawl which are near the station.

There are so many interesting pubs in Brighton maybe we are faced with too much choice.So how about this route ?

Core pubs ----- (wild cards)
    1. Evening Star
    2. Quadrant (Earth & Stars)
    3. Craft Beer Co.
    4. Brighton Bier House
    5 Royal Soverign ( Lion & Lobster)
    6. Victory (Cricketers)
    7. Waggon & Horses
    8. North Laine
    9. Geese (Sir Charles Napier,Southover,Independent,Hanover)
    10. Admiral (Village,Resevoir)
    11. Mitre
    12. Basketmakers * (Great Eastern *)
    12. Lord Nelson * ( Foundry *)
    13. Prince Albert*

* not far from the station.

Does this help ?
    Fairly close to the list I worked out however I'm confused about the Craft Beer Co and Brighton Beer Dispensary/Royal Sovereign as the Brighton Beer Dispensary is nearer the Craft Beer Co and the town centre than the Royal Sovereign, the Lion & Lobster is a bit further towards Hove as Paul says.

My intention is to do the hilly North East bit (Mitre, Admiral,Hanover, Southover, Geese, Sir Charles Napier and now it seems The Village and The Reservoir too, and I might possibly add the Great Eastern) on Thursday night so I'd miss them out on Friday but that's just me.

My preferred route would be anti-clockwise as some "better" pubs are near the start and it ends near the station. We haven't nominated a start point or time yet.

*Evening Star
    *Brighton Beer Dispensary
    *Craft Beer Co
    Quadrant
    *Victory
    Cricketers
    Earth & Stars
    Waggon & Horses
    Foundary
    *Basketmakers
    North Laine
    Great Eastern
    Lord Nelson
    *Prince Albert

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Fairly close to the list I worked out however I'm confused about the Craft Beer Co and Brighton Beer Dispensary/Royal Sovereign as the Brighton Beer Dispensary is nearer the Craft Beer Co and the town centre than the Royal Sovereign, the Lion & Lobster is a bit further towards Hove as Paul says.

My intention is to do the hilly North East bit (Mitre, Admiral,Hanover, Southover, Geese, Sir Charles Napier and now it seems The Village and The Reservoir too, and I might possibly add the Great Eastern) on Thursday night so I'd miss them out on Friday but that's just me.

My preferred route would be anti-clockwise as some "better" pubs are near the start and it ends near the station. We haven't nominated a start point or time yet.

*Evening Star
    *Brighton Beer Dispensary
    *Craft Beer Co
    Quadrant
    *Victory
    Cricketers
    Earth & Stars
    Waggon & Horses
    Foundary
    *Basketmakers
    North Laine
    Great Eastern
    Lord Nelson
    *Prince Albert
    My apologies I meant the Brighton Beer Dispensary close to Craft Beer Co. but also quite near the Royal Sovereign.

I thought the proposal was to start in The Evening Star but the time not yet fleshed out . It's handy for those arriving by train that morning,opens at 11.30am
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 19-02-2018 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    My apologies I meant the Brighton Beer Dispensary close to Craft Beer Co. but also quite near the Royal Sovereign.

I thought the proposal was to start in The Evening Star but the time not yet fleshed out . It's handy for those arriving by train that morning,opens at 11.30am
    The Evening Star makes a very good start point,also an equally excellent finisher.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    That's really helpful, Paul.

I remember when we did Leeds a few years ago, me and Old Boots and Ale&Hearty bashed out a route between us over a pint in Otley. It's so much harder to do on the forum. Also, there have been so many changes in pubs in recent years (Leeds & Brighton both) and it is so difficult to know what to expect when there are so many pretty good pubs and not that many gems, and when the review coverage is a little patchy in the last three or four years (and this applies to WhatPub just as much as PuG). So it's been very helpful to get Paul's thoughts.

I think the point about the hill up to the Hanover and the Southover, and the possible duplication, is a good one. (But isn't the Reservoir also an Indigo pub?) Also about not going too far west. My initial suggestions of some of the back street pubs in the town centre were meant as fillers until someone came up with something better and I'm happy to drop those now that we have some better ideas.

Old Boots makes a good interjection - he's planning on doing Hanover area plus the Mitre on Thursday. (I'm planning on going west on Thursday to include The Watchmakers in Hove and a few others in that direction.) So I think what we need to do is reduce the scope of this crawl by a) not going too far west, b) cutting out some of the hill and c) only doing the best of the city centre.

A huge list can be daunting for those who like to take their drinking at a leisurely pace, but too short a list can be a bit underwhelming for the sprinters among us. I quite like BF's list of core pubs and wild cards, and agree that the Evening Star which opens at 11:30 would be a suitable gathering place. The Craft Beer Co have said they will open at 12 but we don't have to all be there on the dot.

No one has objected to a leisurely walk along the prom, so I propose heading for the sea after the Dispensary, then (if the Tempest and/or Fortune of War do not tempt) into town for the best of the Lanes pubs which is clearly the Victory.

I would then suggest it would be a choice between the traditional Basketmakers (Fullers) and the modern North Laine, then heading for the lower slopes of Hanover (Geese, Napier, Reservoir, Admiral) before a choice of Harveys pubs (Mitre, Nelson) and a final stop at the Albert which is handy for the station.

What I'm saying is, there's lots of pubs to choose from, and nothing that is so outstanding that it would be a shame to miss it. (For example, I only added the Waggon & Horses and the Foundry to make up the numbers until better suggestions arrived, so I've dropped them in the list below.) But on the other hand, the point about going around in a group is to do the pubs together (without necessarily all arriving at the same time and spending most of the crawl queuing at the bar!). So, here's some sort of compromise:

11:30 Evening Star (Wild Card: Quadrant) (Sprinters: Earth & Stars)
    12:00 Craft Beer Co
    12:45 Beer Dispensary (Sprinters: Lion & Lobster or Royal Sovereign)
    Interlude: stroll along the seafront
    (Wild Cards: Tempest, Cricketers, Bath Arms)
    13:45 Victory
    14:30 Choice: Basketmakers or North Laine
    15:00 Tapas: Geese, Napier, Southover, Hanover, Reservoir
    16:00 Admiral
    16:45 Harveys choice: Mitre or Lord Nelson
    (Wild Card: Great Eastern)
    17:30 Prince Albert and/or back to the Evening Star!

That's a "core" of six pubs, two straight choices (making eight) plus a tapas on Hanover (one or two, maybe - ok, three at most) making 10 altogether. Add a wild card or two, or one or two from the sprinters menu, and there's a round dozen. I make it 23 pubs in total on that list, a veritable Winfield, which of course no one would reasonably expect to do in the time available. (Times, by the way, are just a rough guide at this stage.)

Perhaps we should start thinking about firming up the times. Who's staying over, who's got a train to catch, that sort of thing. I mean there's no point aiming to get to the Prince Albert at 17:30 if no one has a six o'clock train to catch! (I'm staying in Brighton both Thursday and Friday nights.)
    Come On You Hatters!

I am just coming for the day and arrive on the 11.17 with a booked departure on the 21.28.

My friends Nige and Colin will be coming along and will catch up with us in the Brighton Beer Dispensary and are likely to depart on the same train as me.

Just a daytrip and my timings are flexible but will likely be arriving at 11.17, same train as BF I guess, and will be leaving at a time while I can still walk.
    Big Steve should be along with me.
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    11:30 Evening Star (Wild Card: Quadrant) (Sprinters: Earth & Stars)
    12:00 Craft Beer Co
    Evening Star doesn't open until noon...?
    Last edited by trainman; 20-02-2018 at 13:18.