Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Brighton Spring 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    if the Facebook page for the pub has opening times we now have them displayed near the bottom of the pub page.
    Nice one! (I like the warning not to trust Facebook, too.)
    Come On You Hatters!

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I think Hove is a bit of a stretch (though I might take a look for myself on the Thursday evening). I mentioned the Hand in Hand as part of a possible Kemptown meander for anyone with time on Thursday or Saturday - again, it's a bit of a stretch when the draft route is already more than four miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Maybe you could have a look at:
    Fiddlers Elbow
    Lion & Lobster (pushing the walking limits, but could swing by if looking to catch a view of the sea from the Dispensary)
    Lord Nelson
    Sir Charles Napier
    I included Lion & Lobster in my second version (not yet published), but have got cold feet since, as it looks like it has changed hands and the beer policy is unknown (in fact, I can't find any mention of beer on their website except for a glimpse of two hand pumps in a video: Doom Bar and Harveys Best).

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Great work Will,this is going to be an excellent crawl.
    Hmm. Not sure I share your confidence! Looking at the original suggestions from OB, which are the nine GBG 2018 entries:

I would say that, based on my recent experience, I could heartily recommend six of them. I didn't much like the Basketmakers when I was there, but that was a matter of bad timing (beer range had depleted over new year) and personal objection to smell of fried fish. Also it's a Fullers pub, which may not be everyone's favourite brewer. I've not been in the Hanover, but it is a sister pub of the Southover, which I added to the first draft even though I dislike their policy of charging much more for a half pint than half the price of a pint (see review - same policy applies in both pubs). I've also not been to the Mitre, where it appears the landlord has died since the GBG surveys would have been completed and there's been a period of closure and a reopening, if I recall correctly. It's a Harveys pub, which I like but again may not suit everyone.

In the first draft (see #52 of this thread) the remainder are four pubs that I liked when I was in Brighton in early January last year, plus the North Laine brewhouse, which I am sure some people will enjoy; and also the Geese on the basis of a review by Paul of Horsham and because the route takes us into that street and it would be rude not to.

In my second version I will be adding two or three of the suggestions made by Strongers (the Lion & Lobster about which I'm now having doubts, plus the Lord Nelson and Charles Napier, respectively Harveys & Fullers). And the Quadrant, suggested by Mick, because it looks interesting and fills a slight gap between Evening Star and Craft Beer Co.

My impression of most other pubs in the town centre is that they cater for tourist trade, a lot of them food led of course, and while they have as many as four hand pumps they always include something mainstream like Doom Bar or something not too challenging from a local brewery (Harveys, Long Man, Brighton Bier). This applies just as much to the four that I have added as personal preferences (Waggon & Horses, Foundry, Earth & Stars and Cricketers), so these are meant as wild cards and some people may find them disappointing. (I haven't been to the Bath Arms for many years, but then neither have any of our other reviewers, seemingly. This may be a good option if the Cricketers is too crowded.)

That gets us to around 20 pubs, which is not quite a Winfield but more than enough for most people - especially as the walking distances come to just over six miles (if visiting all 20), according to Google maps. Obviously, people can pick and choose which of the wild cards they visit and reduce their drinking/walking accordingly. For example, seven or eight of the GBG pubs plus four or five wild cards makes a nice round dozen! (BTW the longest single stretch of walking is 15 minutes between the Beer Dispensary and the Cricketers/Bath Arms/Victory in the Lanes if going via the seafront.)

I'd be grateful for feedback before I put the final polish to my second version. There's still room for suggestions for additions as well as for criticism of those already included (two Harveys pubs? two Fullers pubs? - you cannot be serious!).
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I think Hove is a bit of a stretch (though I might take a look for myself on the Thursday evening). I mentioned the Hand in Hand as part of a possible Kemptown meander for anyone with time on Thursday or Saturday - again, it's a bit of a stretch when the draft route is already more than four miles!

yes more suited to those staying more than 1 day
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

6 miles? I walk at 3mph, or slower back up from the front to the station so, if I make it, I won't be using 2 hours of my day (from maybe 7 hrs in Brighton) on the hoof.
    No offence, but may have to cherry pick on this one. It's all a mobile feast anyway, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    6 miles? I walk at 3mph, or slower back up from the front to the station so, if I make it, I won't be using 2 hours of my day (from maybe 7 hrs in Brighton) on the hoof.
    No offence, but may have to cherry pick on this one. It's all a mobile feast anyway, eh?
    None taken. Cherry picking is what you're expected to do.

As I tried to explain, it would be crazy to try to do all 20 pubs *. But I know that some people will want to tick off as many as possible, so I didn't want to say, "here's 11 pubs, that's yer lot".

* No offence intended to Mr Winfield, of course.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll be passing on this one for several reasons :-

Brighton is too expensive.
    Since the demise of K&B, Gales and pub chain Beards to GK it's not the attraction it once was.
    The following day is a Division 1 & 2 football free day because of some stupid friendly internationals. I can't afford to miss a football free Saturday in (as it happens) Liverpool.

The Mitre is a Harvey's tied house which I went to once over 30 years ago and had a rank pint (I dare say it's improved!). There's a third one that I don't know called the Constant Service but it's a late opener and sounds like a trendy dump.
    If anyone's down there for a few days there's a string of micropubs between Hove and Worthing.
    If I were going my cherry picking would consist of all day in the Evening Star!

This Space For Hire

Default Brighton Spring 2018

6 miles is akin to a yomp with the SAS not a pub crawl.I will not last that route march but if that's the itinerary so be it. I would prefer a clockwise route
    so
    even star
    prince al
    earth +star
    wagon and h
    foundry
    basketmakers
    north laine
    all seem to in a a reasonable close area

then across to the
    geese
    southover
    hanover
    admiral
    then a bus into town to do the rest
    .I have have come up with this route with limited knowledge of the pubs in Brighton (now if it was the jewellery shops in the Laines.Im your man) So this may not be a better route.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'll be passing on this one for several reasons :-

Brighton is too expensive.
    Since the demise of K&B, Gales and pub chain Beards to GK it's not the attraction it once was.
    The following day is a Division 1 & 2 football free day because of some stupid friendly internationals. I can't afford to miss a football free Saturday in (as it happens) Liverpool.

The Mitre is a Harvey's tied house which I went to once over 30 years ago and had a rank pint (I dare say it's improved!). There's a third one that I don't know called the Constant Service but it's a late opener and sounds like a trendy dump.
    If anyone's down there for a few days there's a string of micropubs between Hove and Worthing.
    If I were going my cherry picking would consist of all day in the Evening Star!
    The Evening Star? You would be in Wetherspoons all day drinking GK -ipa and pints of pride.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Evening Star? You would be in Wetherspoons all day drinking GK -ipa and pints of pride.
    Oh dear, is it SO obvious that I just can't wait to return to the Bright Helm.