Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pembrokeshire

Default Pembrokeshire

We're off to Pembrokeshire at the weekend-fresh territory for us. I'd be glad for any info re pubs and microbreweries. I used to drink Felinfoel back in the 80s, but have little knowledge of Welsh beers.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Nice part of the world. Spent some enjoyable weeks in Tenby and St Davids, and a trip to Porthgain is recommended , especially as it has the fine Sloop Inn.. Unfortunately it was all Felinfoel and Brains when I was traveling around and the microbrewery wave hadn't got as far as Pembrokeshire when I was there so can't help on that front I am afraid..
    The Hope and Anchor was the best pub in Tenby and The Farmers Arms the best of St Davids offerings when I was there but that was a few years ago now..
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    The Farmers Arms the best of St Davids offerings when I was there but that was a few years ago now..
    When I went to St Davids over 35 years ago it was the only pub I found there and I think it was Whitbread.
    I went to Carmarthen earlier in the year and I don't think you would like the Spoons there. I wasn't that impressed with the Queens Hotel. Carmarthen seemed a bit of a dump to me. Haverfordwest looked more interesting generally and I thought the Spoons there was OK. The only breweries I remember trying from West Wales are Evan Evans which I don't really rate as is the case for Felinfoel (Feeling Foul as I've always known it).
    I've never been to Pembroke and Tenby is a major seaside resort. I remember stopping at Saundersfoot nearby but have no idea where.
    I went through Solva on the way to St Davids and it looked a nice place. The Cambrian Inn there looks interesting but has limited opening hours.
    Hope this helps, I don't think people generally go to the area for the beer!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    When I went to St Davids over 35 years ago it was the only pub I found there and I think it was Whitbread.

Hope this helps, I don't think people generally go to the area for the beer!
    Thanks! Beer is getting more interesting, with the likes of Harbwr Tenby (not sure why they didn't welshise the Tenby bit!) and Mantle. Evan Evans was ubiquitous and safely dull,Felinfoel Double Dragon, taken for reasons of nostalgia, better than hoped. Farmers Arms was probably the pub of the week, with an noticeably friendly welcome. I think there was more than a hint of welsh sterness in the pubs:we didn't drink in Tenby as it was heaving.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.