Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (June)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ excellent pub and new website
    Yes, I note they have now increased, again, to 10 handpumps offering some very good beers.
    Are they using the big plasma for WC games, or maintaining an abstinence from football?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Yes, I note they have now increased, again, to 10 handpumps offering some very good beers.
    Are they using the big plasma for WC games, or maintaining an abstinence from football?
    dont know
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    dont know
    In a very impressive response time, I just heard back from Martin saying they decided to remain football-free to maintain the happy departure from the ugly history of the place as the Tram. Understandable.

Now back from my travels. Not the best region in the country for pubs or ales but Aberdeen has a few worth visiting which I will write up in due course. The clear favourite for me was the Marine Hotel in Stonehaven. Good ambience, 6 excellent local ales and overlooking a very picturesque harbour. Definately my Pub of the Month.

Like RogerB I've also chosen a pub from my recent travels, and there were plenty of excellent pubs to choose from, (Welly/Old Joint Stock in Brum, Anchor/White Swan in Digbeth/ half the pubs in Bridgnorth/ Plough in Worcester etc,etc) BUT the stand out one for me is the Beacon Hotel in Sedgeley, brewery tap of the Sarah Hughes brewery. Excellent beer, proper pub furniture and decor, almost idiot free, not forgetting that weird and wonderful serving arrangement.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Having spent a lot of time boating around Yorkshire in June,rarely have I been in as many pubs in a month and many outstanding ones to boot.Those that top the list are the usual suspects on Kelham Island,The One Eyed Rat in Ripon and Tetley Dave's gaff ,The Shoulder of Mutton in Castleford.But for sheer ale excellence my PoTM for June has to be www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40654/ The Grove ,Huddersfield.Real ale heaven,I am hard pressed to think of a better boozer.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Moved this thread to beer of the week forum to archive.

I forgot about this thread...

My pub of the month goes to Woodies in New Malden. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36021/

A real treasure trove of sporting memorabilia and some fine beer to boot. It was a real headache trying to get there and I very nearly gave up at one point, but it was well worth persevering and I may well find myself making the trek back sooner rather than later.

Other close contenders:

Trafalgar - South Wimbledon.
    Ye Old Mitre - Chancery Lane
    Old Fountain - Old Street
    Southampton Ams - Kentish Town

Woodies and the Trafalgar are both high on my must do list, in fact there's quite a few around that bit of the world I need to get to. All the more frustrating since I used to live in the area although that was nearly 30 years ago and I doubt they were as enticing then as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Woodies and the Trafalgar are both high on my must do list, in fact there's quite a few around that bit of the world I need to get to. All the more frustrating since I used to live in the area although that was nearly 30 years ago and I doubt they were as enticing then as they are now.
    If you make it down to the Trafalgar you should try to check out the nearby Sultan, which is London's only Hop Back pub. I had a very good midweek crawl between those two and the Prince of Wales recently.

Woodies is a bit isolated, but you can get the pub crawl effect by changing tables after each drink, thereby giving yourself a whole new batch of programmes, tickets etc.. to browse through!