Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (June)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I like the idea of this thread but feel like it is missing something. Anyone got any ideas on how to improve it, I am wondering about a vote but guessing we don't know each others pubs?
    I think it will come to life this week Conrad, with it being the last week in the month. I've been saving up my nomination, in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely. Therefore, I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/

Maybe the thread might work better as a weekly format? Just a thought.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/
    I've been to the Grove a couple of times in the past and have to agree it is a cracking pub and very friendly. In fact i have a friend who lives in north Leeds and considers the Grove his local even though he lives about four miles away.

By the way, as expected and predicted by others I found nowhere in Blackpool worthy of nomination for this award. It really is a dull place pub wise. The Pump and truncheon was a shadow of its former self of a few years back. Only two ales on, no food available and no atmosphere. They were even showing some quiz show on TV instead of the world cup. The best pub I found in Blackpool was the Waterloo hotel, it having a lovely interior, lots of space, history, snooker table and full size bowling green in the garden. Trouble is it had no ale so what could have been a great pub just became an ordinary pub to visit for a coke and a look round.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think it will come to life this week Conrad, with it being the last week in the month. I've been saving up my nomination, in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely. Therefore, I'm nominating The Grove in Leeds. Good beer, fantastic 1930's corridor interior , but most of all the friendly staff. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42740/

Maybe the thread might work better as a weekly format? Just a thought.
    I think the thing is it all feels a little aimless to me. When someone mentions a good beer we may have had it before, or can tend to visualise it if you know beers (so clearly I can't). I find a pub is a little harder to visualise, may just be me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I think the thing is it all feels a little aimless to me. When someone mentions a good beer we may have had it before, or can tend to visualise it if you know beers (so clearly I can't). I find a pub is a little harder to visualise, may just be me though.
    I've just gone back to Roger's original thread and can see his argument for a monthly nomination, but maybe there has to be a trade-off there for the idea to work. I think we're all agreed we don't want re-hashed reviews and an in depth analysis of the beer list.

I look at it as being a one sentence shout-out for somewhere that's meant something to me in the last few days, for whatever reason. Thinking out loud, maybe it just tells us something about fellow contributors as much as the pub? I suspect it might need a couple of months to find its feet.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    The best pub I found in Blackpool was the Waterloo hotel, it having a lovely interior, lots of space, history, snooker table and full size bowling green in the garden. Trouble is it had no ale so what could have been a great pub just became an ordinary pub to visit for a coke and a look round.
    The Waterloo used to run the No. 1 Crown Green bowling competition in the country.

I have bowled in the Waterloo bowling championship on several occasions. The later rounds used to be shown on TV.

Sadly my greatest achievement was the 2nd Round.

Back in the past the Waterloo was a Greenhall Whitley pub and used to serve their Bitter & Mild, but that was quite a few years ago.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I definitely think as a thread it would work better as a chatty thread rather than a everyone must name a pub of the month and mark it down in the first post. So you could chat about more than one pub of the month or agree on why various pubs have gone above and beyond.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Certainly the benefit I'd take from potm nominations/discussions would be the potential to add top pubs to my unvisited mission list, and if that means getting the heads-up on more than one great pub per month from trusted contributors, then so be it.
    If you manage to find any trusted contributors, please give me the heads-up on them too!

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    I've been to the Grove a couple of times in the past and have to agree it is a cracking pub and very friendly.
    If you're ever in the area, let me know. That part of Leeds is becoming a mini real ale crawl in itself. What with The Grove, Midnight Bell, Cross Keys and the newly opened Hop, there's probably about thirty pumps to go at.

.., in case I wanted to change my mind, but that's now looking unlikely...
    Same here, but as I'm off on me travels abroad again on Friday, I can't see anything beating The Tap and Splie in Stafford (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34581/) for all-round performance, even though there are better beers, better food and more interesting people in other local pubs - but not necessarily all three together. Excellent beer (though not the best in Stafford), magnificent reception form the locals, great food, all while managing to be just an ordinary, old-fashioned working pub with no pretensions. I make a point of popping in every time I'm in Stafford and I've never been disappointed. Thus, this is my nomination.

http://www.caskpubandkitchen.com/ excellent pub and new website
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"