Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Pub Scores

Default Pub Scores

I don't really want to get into a yah boo discussion about this but has anyone else noticed that Colin Walker apparently gives all pubs reviewed a score of 10. I haven't been through all 598 of them as I only noticed it after adding my own reviews to Scottish JDWs and thinking it wasn't that good!
    Personally I think scores are important even if only based on a single brief visit. I assume Mr Walker thinks otherwise but surely he should just leave them unrated as many others already do, including occasionally myself.

This Space For Hire

I've learnt a new word today of yah boo. On the rare occasions I review a pub I generally don't give it a score based on the fact I drink lager and I can't comment on an ale POV to validate a score, to me a pub that's open is worth a good score. 10's a strong score to consistently score your review but I suspect their is no affiliation to the pubs just over exuberance.

Apart from the concerns over manipulation of scores that is endemic to the toothy place, is it really fair to rate a pub on the strength of a single fleeting visit and perhaps a quick half of something?

I know there are pubs you instantly know to be a 0 or 1 and others that are likely to be 8-10, but it's that middle ground where the pub could be poor (probably really just not to my taste) or only having an off day.

We're not CAMRA so I'm not sure judging/scoring a pub on the ale quality alone is worthwhile, I've drunk cold vinegar in many an outstanding Sam Smith's pub. Oh and I'm not suggesting any kind of scoring criteria system should be set up.

Yah Boo (it should probably be hyphenated) is a term usually used in relation to parliamentary questions where the noise coming from it often resembles a farmyard rather than somewhere that serious discussion takes place. If it were a pub I'd give it the Score Of Shame every time.
    I can see the logic of both views above but still think the scoring system is worthwhile despite any unintended lack of objectivity.
    Now I've noticed that Mr Walker always scores 10 I can just take it as unrated.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Apart from the concerns over manipulation of scores that is endemic to the toothy place, is it really fair to rate a pub on the strength of a single fleeting visit and perhaps a quick half of something?
    If the scoring system were to be based on a set of criteria, which heaven forfend, it would not be fair. As long as it's understood as a snapshot representing a drinker's fleeting impression, I think it's fair enough. Though of course I respect your decision not to award ratings.

On the other hand, awarding a 10 to every pub seems crazy to me. If Colin Walker reads this forum at all, perhaps he'd like to tell us why he does it...
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Odd the 10 score, normally it is the manager or set up. Colin obviously has his reasons, I can't recall having read any of his reviews but I assume if he writes a review the reader can draw their own conclusion?

Personally i tend to stick to middle of the road, being open is a plus these days, as is somewhere to sit. The rest is subjective
    I drink to make others more interesting

IIRC Dave was a bit reticent to allow scores back in the day for some of the reasons listed above. Ultimately, whilst the policing of the site remains good and all reviews contain value-added content, then it's something that we'll just have to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    IIRC Dave was a bit reticent to allow scores back in the day for some of the reasons listed above. Ultimately, whilst the policing of the site remains good and all reviews contain value-added content, then it's something that we'll just have to live with.
    I agree. Now I know the score with Mr Walker's scores I have started ignoring them. It's obvious that people have different criteria and may or may not give a 10 or a Score Of Shame but that's life. At least there isn't a PUG top 100 or the ability to rate a pub without adding a review. I think the scores are useful even if I disagree with them but it doesn't happen often. There isn't really that much difference between a 6 and a 7.

The scores are generally a good thing, if its a well reviewed pub you can take an average while taking into mind who's done the reviewing, many on here whom we know or trust, the Colin Walkers of this world can be taken out of the equation. Even in the old BITE days when looking up a pub , I knew I could trust the reviews and scores from the likes of Rex, John Bonser, RPAdam and so on and disregard the silly stuff.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields