Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 20th August 2017)

Kent
    An aged Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter was eclipsed by Pig and Porter Whispering Bob IPA 6.5% Murky from a can, and by Time and Tide All in Jim APA 5.4%, also from a murky can.
    As a point of information, do either of these count as real ale?
    My BOTW-Pig and Porter Whispering Bob.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Kent
    An aged Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter was eclipsed by Pig and Porter Whispering Bob IPA 6.5% Murky from a can, and by Time and Tide All in Jim APA 5.4%, also from a murky can.
    That depends on who you ask! If you enjoyed them does it really matter? They obviously weren't anything like Whitbread Tankard or Double Diamond.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Not impressed with the beer in the Southampton.Always sees a bit lifeless.Be interested in your thoughts after your visit.I know you like the pub.The re-opened Dartmouth Arms is a 5 min walk away if you get time. You may need cheering up after the Palace match cheers john
    Thanks for the steer about The Dartmouth Arms,it seem churlish not to pop in on Friday given it's so close.I've had a few mixed sessions in The Southampton Arms in the past ,so glad there's an alternative close by if there is a problem.Drowning my sorrows often takes place around Borough Market ,so the Rake's till may well get a boost !
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Kent
    My BOTW-Pig and Porter Whispering Bob.
    Had about 10 cask beers from Pig and Porter and they are never murky so possibly can conditioned.Only had one from Time and Tide same one as you but it was keg version.Quite a few brewers are doing can conditioned (real ale) in tins but the problem is you cant see when to stop pouring so you don't get the yeast in your beer or see when it has settled clear like a bottled beer.Not a problem for me as I pour it all in.Waste not want not. cheers

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Slim pickings, this week.

Jolly Boys - Collier Porter.
    Jolly Boys - Blonde.
    Fernandes - Hazelnut & Coffee Porter.
    Saltaire - Galaxy.*
    Fixed Wheel - Through & Off.
    Riverhead - Liquorice Latte Stout.*

Very close between the Galaxy and the Latte Stout, but the Saltaire just shades it on sheer drinkability.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Had about 10 cask beers from Pig and Porter and they are never murky so possibly can conditioned.Only had one from Time and Tide same one as you but it was keg version.Quite a few brewers are doing can conditioned (real ale) in tins but the problem is you cant see when to stop pouring so you don't get the yeast in your beer or see when it has settled clear like a bottled beer.Not a problem for me as I pour it all in.Waste not want not. cheers
    I'm not fussed by a bit of yeast!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Mobberley Brewhouse - Hedge Hopper
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Some cycling in the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Dales last week was lubricated by these beers:

Black Sheep Bitter
    Theakstons Old Peculier (both cask and bottled)
    Grey Hawk Pippin (formerly Copper Dragon Golden Pippin, I believe)
    Cropton Yorkshire Moors (both cask and bottled)
    Camerons Strongarm (not in very good condition, unfortunately)
    Wychwood Hoppleganger (the first beer I've come across from the Marstons stable of which I've actually decided to buy a second pint)
    Yorkshire Dales Leyburn Shawl (insipid lagerish drink)
    Wensleydale Moorcock Show 100th Anniversary Ale (looked and tasted like Black Sheep Bitter)
    T Taylor Boltmaker
    Thwaites Nutty Black
    Dark Horse Craven Bitter
    Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout
    T Taylor Dark Mild
    Rudgate Ruby Mild
    Heavy Industry Forza
    Guinness Antwerpen (bottle from Tesco)
    Revolutions Switch #3
    Weetwood Eastgate

There are three, no make that four, I tell a lie: five that stand out: Thwaites Nutty Black 3.3% in superb condition at the Lister Arms in Malham; Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout 4.9% at Early Doors micropub in Skipton; Rudgate Ruby Mild 4.4% reliably drinkable at the Leeds Brewery Tap; Theakstons Old Peculier 5.6% (at the Lion on Blakey Ridge, among others: when cycling, refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach); and Guinness Antwerpen 8%. The last named was reduced to only £1.68 for 330ml at my local Tesco. Yummy!

BOTW Worsthorne Blackthorne Stout 4.9% Smooth, sophisticated, full of flavour yet gluggably understated - if I hadn't had a train to catch I'd still be there drinking it now.
    Come On You Hatters!

Late entry after a ramble in Norfolk:

Norfolk Brewhouse Amber Ale
    Woodfordes Wherry
    Woodfordes Nelson's Revenge*
    Woodfordes Electric IPA*
    Adnams Mosaic Pale Ale
    Adnams Ghost Ship
    Brancaster Oystercatcher*

BOTW Woodfordes Electric IPA thoroughly enjoyed at the Albatross on a warm afternoon.
    I'm not sure that it fully deserves the IPA moniker but it's a very drinkable, gently hoppy and refreshing 4.5% number which was perfect for the occasion.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

There's a brewery on Gozo called Lord Chambray that has recently started kegging their beer.

I had a few of theirs over our 2 weeks but the best was Blue Lagoon.

It's definitely a copy of Blue Moon, but it went down very nicely in the 38 degree heat in 67 Kapital in Valletta.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas