Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camra calls for minister of pubs

Under moderation

Exclamation Camra calls for minister of pubs

I saw this
    http://www.horseandcountry.tv/news/c...-minister-pubs

"CAMRA has written to the Prime Minister seeking the appointment of a Minister for Pubs, H&C has learned. Pubs play a vital role in the economic, social and cultural life of the nation yet are closing at a rate of six a day."

R pubs really closing at that rate ......wow

....but Ken Clarke has already been appointed to another job!

Isn't he a CAMRA member?
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 01-06-2010 at 18:25.
    Waes hael!

What about that bloke who graciously resigned from The Treasury the other day. He must be at a loose end..no pun intended.

Where can I find a job application form and, more importantly, an expenses form?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Where can I find a job application form and, more importantly, an expenses form?
    Looking forward to £1 pint at Kliverts...

that is if you scrap beer tax...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

In your dreams. NICE , those caring people who won't sanction drugs to cure the seriously ill, have come out in favour of minimum pricing per unit. Their argument is based on flawed evidence in a project from Sheffield University or so said the opposition on Radio 4 this morning. Also it would not cost NICE a penny.
    A heavy drinker would pay £130 -£ 160 per year ,a moderate drinker £12 per year. Although not binge drinkers I think few of us here would be considered medically as moderate drinkers. These charges would hit the poorer end of the social scale harder than the more well off ( meaning the rich ).
    So Tesco support minimum pricing...only because the other big supermarkets will not agree to undercut Tesco. The supermarkets only do things if it increases market share and profits. To consider them socially concerned is a misconception.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A heavy drinker would pay £130 -£ 160 per year ,a moderate drinker £12 per year.
    where on earth do they get these figures from? £12 a year or £1 a month extra on beer is this another fiddled figure like the "beer cheaper than water" carp? I turned the TV off this morning when that Professer Kelly creature was bullshitting his way across the screen, I wouldn't have wanted to pay for a new telly

I thought the opposition wiped the floor with Kelly. When asked why not just increase the tax he replied it would not be so focused. I take he was focussing on supermarket customers and not those who spend £30 per bottle at some Chelsea Bodega.
    Sorry if I appear to be all class action this morning but after successive governments screwing us at the bottom and still making a mess of things all we have left is the succor of a good drink. Look closely at one of Hogarths Gin Lane prints and you will no doubt see one or more of Arwkrites forbears. One minute its the none working classes who have a drink problem, then the working and middle classes. No mention of the aristos or the MPs who have whopping unpaid bar bills leftover from the last lot of incumbents. And no mention of what makes a portion of the country want to go out and get so bladdered they run the risk of killing themselves. Since having become unemployed I have managed to get nicely sozzled twice, in both cases thanks to the generosity of my stepsons who would not see me pay for a round. So it ain't me thats bleeding the country dry. I do see unemployed hanging around the pub but don't understand how they do it. I do understand why no one offers them a job because I would not trust any of them with a broom let alone anything more advanced.
    I could go on but will call time......Have a nice day....Arwkrite wandering around under a thunder cloud ...wheres me pills?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I'm struggling with this one as on a certain level it makes sense to me, in that if supermarkets are forced to raise their prices significantly it may make pubs look less expensive (feel free to shoot that down, I am sure I have got it wrong). But I think the quoted reason of alcoholics would drink less is rubbish, have I misunderstood the meaning of 'addict'?